The Student Room Group

What percentage of people get A's in all their National 5 exams?

Just curious...

Guesstimates welcome :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't know exact figures but last year at our school 40% of people got all A's at nat 5 level so that number might be close to the overall average
Reply 2
Original post by MartinDUFC
Don't know exact figures but last year at our school 40% of people got all A's at nat 5 level so that number might be close to the overall average

Thanks for the info :smile:

40% though!?! That's insane! Your school must be incredible. On average only about 10-15% of people get an A in a each subject. So times that by 7 subjects and I was thinking maybe 7% of people get A's in all their subjects.
About 20% in my school.
Nationally, I think much higher than that. Maybe 35-45%?
This year, a lot of people who sat the higher exams got straight As(check out the exam discussion thread), so I'm guessing the number of people who achieved straight As in nat 5 is much higher.
Reply 4
The real answer is here...

Look at this normal distribution curve:X2604-D-41.png

Imagine the x axis were the grades going FROM "U" to "A*". The aim is to roughly fulfill the shape of this curve. So the grade which is achieved by most is in the D/C region! Only a small percentage get the really high or really high grades. That should help contextualize hopefully :smile:
Reply 5
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/Attainment_Statistics_(August)_2015.xls

This will show you the percentage of pupils who got each grade as both an overall and subject by subject. It shows that 37.5% of N5 results were A's.

To know what percentage of pupils got all A's is unknowable without having access to the full set of data that the SQA has. They will perhaps give out that figure later, or it might be obtainable via a FOI request. Similar FOI requests may have already been made.

But common sense tells us that the answer must be less than 37.5%.

The answer is not to take 37.5% to the power of n, where n is the number of subjects taken, either. This is because given that a candidate achieves an A in any given subject, he is more likely to have gained A's in other subjects too.
Reply 6
Original post by ps1265A
The real answer is here...

Look at this normal distribution curve:X2604-D-41.png

Imagine the x axis were the grades going FROM "U" to "A*". The aim is to roughly fulfill the shape of this curve. So the grade which is achieved by most is in the D/C region! Only a small percentage get the really high or really high grades. That should help contextualize hopefully :smile:

The normal distribution likely describes the approximate spread of performances for any given subject. But it makes no judgement on what percentage of people will be awarded any given grade by the SQA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by offhegoes
The normal distribution likely describes the approximate spread of performances for any given subject. But it makes no judgement on what percentage of people will be awarded any given grade by the SQA.

Yes, I was referring to subject!
Reply 8
Original post by ps1265A
Yes, I was referring to subject!

Yes but that question was on proportion of pupils gaining A's, and unless I'm missing something the normal distribution doesn't help us here?
It depends on how many nat 5s you sat. According to the sqa national statistics report 2014 8% achieved 6As, 4% achieved 7As, 2% achieved 8As and 19 people achieved more than 8As.
The thing you have to remember about this forum is that the people who comment on it tend to have a great interest in their school performance and education. Consequently, you'll find people on here tend to be from "good schools" or at the very least achieve "good grades" and therein the problem lies with using this forum as an indicator of nation wide performance. Looking at some threads it appears that every other person is a straight A student whereas in reality a very small proportion of scottish students ever achieve straight As.
Original post by offhegoes
Yes but that question was on proportion of pupils gaining A's, and unless I'm missing something the normal distribution doesn't help us here?

If we look at the trend by subject, it should help picture what it would look like by overall grades. Achieving all As is definitely at one extreme and I'd say that it's a minority that achieve it against the whole population.
Original post by wordshark
It depends on how many nat 5s you sat. According to the sqa national statistics report 2014 8% achieved 6As, 4% achieved 7As, 2% achieved 8As and 19 people achieved more than 8As.

I'm going to tell my best friend this. She achieved 8A's for her National 5 examinations. I'm so proud :biggrin:
Reply 13
The statistics wordshark posted sound closer to what I was expecting. It sounds a bit weird if you put it into actual numbers though. For instance their is about 75 s4 students in my year taking seven national 5's (maybe less, maybe more). So only three people achieved all seven A's???
Original post by Awty
The statistics wordshark posted sound closer to what I was expecting. It sounds a bit weird if you put it into actual numbers though. For instance their is about 75 s4 students in my year taking seven national 5's (maybe less, maybe more). So only three people achieved all seven A's???

There is massive amount of variance between schools. In some none will achieve straight As whereas some private schools will have 50%+ achieving straight As. These statistics can only reliably used on a national basis. In my school it would suggest that roughly 15 students achieved straight As when in actual fact I know the number is a lot smaller.
Reply 15
Actually I put in an FOI regarding this last year. 1.7% of all 4th year pupils got 8As (2014). Not sure I believe this, as 15% of my year did, but go figure.
Original post by Roryd9
Actually I put in an FOI regarding this last year. 1.7% of all 4th year pupils got 8As (2014). Not sure I believe this, as 15% of my year did, but go figure.

The sqa statistics I posted are not confined to just 4th years.
Reply 17
The sqa statistics I posted are not confined to just 4th years.

Not very accurate/ useful then are they :wink:
People who think 40% of everyone who sat nat5s got all A's are deluded private school morons. It probably closer to 15%
Reply 19

Can you link this report?

Original post by langlitz
People who think 40% of everyone who sat nat5s got all A's are deluded private school morons. It probably closer to 15%

You're the biggest moron of all though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending