The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have been able to easily find overall league tables for American Unis..but like you i cant seem to find any for subjects specifically.

ps im thinking of applying to JHU as well for Economics..on their website they said they were rated 15th for it..but i cant rember what year that was.
Reply 2
abrp
i have been able to easily find overall league tables for American Unis..but like you i cant seem to find any for subjects specifically.

ps im thinking of applying to JHU as well for Economics..on their website they said they were rated 15th for it..but i cant rember what year that was.

Maybe I am just really bad at finding things :redface: Do you know how JHU was rated overall?
Reply 3
kirstinx
Maybe I am just really bad at finding things :redface: Do you know how JHU was rated overall?

no worries...always glad to help:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0609.national.html

heres another table i find quite intresting...but its more about "grad school"...dunno what that means..after Bachelors? or Masters? or during Bachelors :s-smilie:?

http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/pdfs/wsj_college_092503.pdf

US doesn't rank courses at the undergraduate level because for most universities, you just apply to the university and choose a course in your 2nd year. Since it's mostly liberal arts education, an undergraduate subject ranking wouldn't tell you very much about the quality of your overall degree anyway.
Reply 5
Thanks
Reply 6
JHU is reputable. It's not in the top tier of the Best American Universities, but it's a good school for strong students who also want to enjoy their lives while they study. International Relations (IR) is pretty good at JHU. They have a specific location down in DC. I know some of the Poli-Sci professors at Hopkins, and they are all really brilliant. Baltimore is a good place to be.

If you have some more questions about JHU Undergrad, or Baltimore, PM me and I can probably answer them.
Reply 7
what is considered in the top tier of USA unis? in the rankings ive seen JHU is usually in top20...and thats quite good imo considering USA has like 2500 further educational institutions...
Exactly...I think it's definitely a top tier university!
Reply 9
Oh really? Ok. I'm a little impartial, because I've been around Hopkins all my life, and I know a lot of the people, and so I know them more for their personal qualities rather than their academic ones. I'd say that some of Hopkins's overlaps would be WashU in St. Louis, Tufts, Northwestern, and perhaps NYU. To me, it doesn't seem like the kind of place that draws on the overacheiver, top of the class, 800 math/verbal, super kids that the Ivies and some of the other draw on. Hopkins looks for regular people who happen to be smart.

If that puts it in the top 20, then I'm actually suprised. I... just never knew Hopkins like that.

PS: Its library is really cool. I was there this weekend looking for books on Nigerian Theatre, and they have those awesome movable shelves that I like.
its also a very beautifull university according to Google Images...for us shallow people :p:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php
Hopkins is ranked 16.

I think Wash U/Hopkins/Northwestern are on a tier above NYU, for sure. NYU is only tough to get into because every random kid has a dream of living in New York City. For the record, NYU is ranked 34.
JHU is ranked 23rd in world 2006 by Times top200 uni guide (27th in 2005).

Washington is ranked 48 (58) (st.loius)
Norwestern is ranked 42 (46)

dunno which washington you ppl are talking about so.. the G.Washington is ranked 168 whilst the 3rd one is ranked 84 (88)

NYU is ranked 43 (56)

Spoiler shows rankings for top100 social sciences:

Spoiler

OK well I was using US undergraduate education rankings, which I think are more relevant than world rankings in this case because those include research scores and such.

NYU at postgrad is up there with the top universities. For undergrad it's far behind the ones that I mentioned earlier.
Imperial is ranked 65th? What social sciences does it do?!
Good to see Oxford, LSE, Cambridge and Warwick compete at the same level as US universities in the world rankings.
I've heard of lots of top achieving students wanting to go to JHU. I don't know, I always have regarded it as "up there." I think its history as a med school definitely carries some weight on the prestige front. I'm not sure about IR, however.

From what I've heard Georgetown is a really top notch school in the US for IR, especially considering its location.
Reply 16
I think that for IR, Georgetown is pretty much 1st in the US followed by Hopkins. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that that's right...
Reply 17
Cosmos
I think that for IR, Georgetown is pretty much 1st in the US followed by Hopkins. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that that's right...

Not really. Georgetown is a good place to go because it's in D.C. For people who plan to work in government, it's pretty good (it's similar to Johns Hopkins in that way). But if you go by the overall reputation of its department, I'd say it's somewhere around 20th. The top ones are Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Berkeley, Chicago, and Stanford.

Regarding the original question, Johns Hopkins above average but nothing special overall. It's poli sci department is very good though. If you're going to the US for your undergrad degree, I'd strongly recommend Dartmouth. Excluding Harvard and Columbia, it has the most top notch IR scholars. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a postgraduate program.
kirstinx
What kind of reputation does John Hopkins university have?

They are not bad, especially for Medicine (a postgrad subject in the US)
However, they are definitely not anywhere near the HYP /MIT-Caltech-Stanford level.
Cosmos

Definitely not. The School of Foreign Service is great for careers in the State Department, but academically, Georgetown doesn't have the same caliber of students as the top universities do. I'd consider Hopkins overall academically better than G-Town. I really knew I wanted to do IR when applying for university and visited G-Town, spending the weekend with a friend at SFS. I was very disappointed. The student body is not diverse--nearly all white, middle- or upper-class, and Catholic (obviously). There wasn't a real sense of intellectualism among the students, the focus seemed much more on drinking and partying.

I always say with US universities, choose overall university ranking/prestige over an individual department. Because it's liberal arts, you may 1) change your mind about your desired subject and 2) you'll get exposure to top academics in all fields if you choose a top university. For example, I took a course on Bioethics with a professor who advises the US government on medical ethics. After one lecture he was interviewed by a national news program, who entered the room with cameras as students filed out :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending