The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Student Finance England.. EU Students settled in UK

Hey!

Background:
I'll try and make it as short as I can. I'm an EU student and have been living in England for over 4 years, I'm settled here - completed college, working a full time job, paying all taxes and what not.

However, I applied to a Scottish uni instead, due to the annual fee being relatively less, and I liked the course content. I was initially going to apply through SAAS, Students Awards Agency Scotland.
But, for that I had to be living in Scotland at least a month before the start date of my course. Which meant relocating in end of July, at the latest. It wasn't feasible since I was going to be living at uni accommodation and couldn't find a place sooner.

Fortunately, I was desperate enough to stumble upon the information on EU students qualifying for tuition fee, maintenance loan and grant through SFE. All I had to do was prove my residency before the start date of my course.
Which I thought would be a piece of cake as I had ALL my tenancy agreements well sorted - what more could they want.

Issue:
Upon my first correspondence with SFE I was asked for ID evidence and documentation from the Home Office on SFE's website. I provided both, but that wasn't sufficient to prove I've been living in UK. So I sent all relevant tenancy agreements, rent receipts and college letters. A week later, they accepted the residency period listed on the college letters but wanted more post that - I had no council tax or utility bills as it was all covered in my rent, and they weren't happy with tenancy agreements only. So, I sent off my bank statements showing every single transaction, quite literally. Last week I got another letter, they need more.
... I have no clue what else the **** to send them.
My best bet, getting my bank statement stamped and sending it off, along with a few recent payslips I have. My previous job had online payslips, and I was stupid enough to not print them off.

I apologise about the long bashing post, all I'm really trying to do is reach out and perhaps find someone who may have encountered a similar situation.
I'm almost at the edge of screaming DISCRIMINATION, but I can't afford to get tangled up in legal matters.

I just want to go to uni.
Would appreciate ANY help.
Didn't you live with your parents in the UK? They could help you with the evidence side. Also, they said they need "more". More what? Remember, your evidence must cover the 3 year period without gaps. There must not be a period not accounted for in the evidence you sent.

P.S. You could ask HRMC for your payslips.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I don't live with my parents, unfortunately. Not since I turned 16.
I'll check HMRC's website though, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending