The Student Room Group

financial help, placements and other job?

Hi everyone,
I have been accepted onto an access to nursing course this year so if all goes to plan hopefully next year I will have a place on a adult nursing course in September.
I will be classed as a mature student at 23 and will be 24 when I start adult nursing uni course.i live with my bf who earns a fairly good wage in a house we brought a year ago so have the commitment of a mortgage.
I currently work in a nursing home doing 3 x 12 hour shifts and a half shift. I will still be able to do 3 shifts whilst at college but I am already worrying about uni and placements and being able to afford to live whilst on placement. Cause obviously you can't work full time on the uni course with placements. Are there any other people in this situation currently at uni?What help do you get if you have a bf that works full time? And is it comfortable enough to be able to not work but still be able to pay bills etc with loans and grants?

Also how many weeks off do you get with adult nursing?

I know it's abut early to worry and sorry about all the questions but if anyone can help even a little bit with answers it will help me a lot:smile: thank you x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi mrs.
Youl not be entitled to much im afraid if your boyfriend works :frown: youl get a student loan though if you apply and possibly travel money.
Next year when you do your nursing course you'l get a bursery though :smile:
Are you even sure you'l have enough time to study if your going to be doing 3 12 hour shifts aswell as being a student because thats alot x
Reply 2
[INDENT]Hi mrs.
Youl not be entitled to much im afraid if your boyfriend works youl get a student loan though if you apply and possibly travel money.
Next year when you do your nursing course you'l get a bursery though
Are you even sure you'l have enough time to study if your going to be doing 3 12 hour shifts aswell as being a student because thats alot x [/INDENT]
Original post by Jade2392x
Hi everyone,
I have been accepted onto an access to nursing course this year so if all goes to plan hopefully next year I will have a place on a adult nursing course in September.
I will be classed as a mature student at 23 and will be 24 when I start adult nursing uni course.i live with my bf who earns a fairly good wage in a house we brought a year ago so have the commitment of a mortgage.
I currently work in a nursing home doing 3 x 12 hour shifts and a half shift. I will still be able to do 3 shifts whilst at college but I am already worrying about uni and placements and being able to afford to live whilst on placement. Cause obviously you can't work full time on the uni course with placements. Are there any other people in this situation currently at uni?What help do you get if you have a bf that works full time? And is it comfortable enough to be able to not work but still be able to pay bills etc with loans and grants?

Also how many weeks off do you get with adult nursing?

I know it's abut early to worry and sorry about all the questions but if anyone can help even a little bit with answers it will help me a lot:smile: thank you x

At 24 when you start your nursing degree unless you have been working the last three years, are estranged from your parents or they are dead, married or have children you won't be classed as an independent student and your parents income will need to be assessed for you to get more than the minimum NHS bursary assuming it is low enough.

As for the weeks holiday, you can usually see term dates for adult nursing by googling 'x uni term dates, adult nursing' - at UEA for example adult nursing students starting this year get 2 weeks off at christmas, 2 weeks at easter and 3 weeks for summer so 7 weeks overall
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
At 24 when you start your nursing degree unless you have been working the last three years, are estranged from your parents or they are dead, married or have children you won't be classed as an independent student and your parents income will need to be assessed for you to get more than the minimum NHS bursary assuming it is low enough.

As for the weeks holiday, you can usually see term dates for adult nursing by googling 'x uni term dates, adult nursing' - at UEA for example adult nursing students starting this year get 2 weeks off at christmas, 2 weeks at easter and 3 weeks for summer so 7 weeks overall

Thank you :smile:

I have been working full time for over the last 3 years but only from last September i have been moved out of my parents. Would my parents incomes still be assessed in that case of my boyfriends do you no? Sorry to keep asking questions x
You'll be assessed on your parents income to begin with as you haven't been living away for more than 3 years. My sister did the access to nursing last year and she'd been working in care for 5 years prior but the access course is extremely demanding. You might find you need to cut down on the working hours

Blog: www.thenubianrapunzel.com
Original post by Jade2392x
Thank you :smile:

I have been working full time for over the last 3 years but only from last September i have been moved out of my parents. Would my parents incomes still be assessed in that case of my boyfriends do you no? Sorry to keep asking questions x

It doesn't matter who you lived with, you just have to have been earning for 36 months. I don't know how the NHS calculate it but student finance expect to see earnings of at least £7,500 each year. Assuming you have then your boyfriends income would be taken into account- this would affect how much you can get from the NHS bursary. For an estimate of how much you can get, have a look here https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/SGUBursary/
Original post by Nubian Rapunzel
You'll be assessed on your parents income to begin with as you haven't been living away for more than 3 years. My sister did the access to nursing last year and she'd been working in care for 5 years prior but the access course is extremely demanding. You might find you need to cut down on the working hours

not true
Original post by jelly1000
not true

My sister earned well over that for the past 5 years but SFE wouldn't accept her as independent because she lived at my parents address. She's only been given her independent status for the coming year as she's just turned 25. Do you think she could get an appeal?

Original post by Nubian Rapunzel
My sister earned well over that for the past 5 years but SFE wouldn't accept her as independent because she lived at my parents address. She's only been given her independent status for the coming year as she's just turned 25. Do you think she could get an appeal?

I don't know if it works retrospectively but it definitley doesn't matter where you live as long as you've been earning £7,500 or more for 3 or more years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending