The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Results Day Doubt

Hi :smile:

With less than a week to go before results day to go, I've went into full blown panic. I'm really hoping to go to Lancaster to study Politics and International Relations since I just fell in love with the university when I visited on an open day. The offer I got was an ABB, easy enough.... but during the exam season this year I had some upsets in the family unit, mainly my parents fighting which eventually led to them splitting up, and so I had more things to focus on than my exams. This family drama combined with a bad year for my mental health. I've been fairly confident about achieving an ABC (A in sociology, B in politics, and a C in maths), and with the system working in my favour (first year in which there are no restriction of course places and I believe my course was in clearing, I can't check because the UCAS clearing check is only showing courses in Scotland), but doubt has crept into my mind. Now I'm starting to think about worst case scenario, being a BBD (if I did get a BBD I wouldn't expect to get into lancaster at all). But say I end up achieving an ABD or a BBC. Do you think its worth getting into contact with Lancaster Admissions and explain the situation (the family drama, and the mental health)?

At AS I achieved an ABD (A in maths, B in politics and a D in further maths). I obviously ended up dropping FuMaths and picking up sociology to do in a year and would be disappointed if I didn't get an A in it. But I digress.

Basically - Should I contact Lancaster and explain the difficult circumstances I've found myself in this year, or do i just leave it until Results day.

EDIT: The reason I haven't came forward with this earlier or tried to contact Lancaster is that I don't want to come across as weak or someone that blames everyone else for their failures, but as my future hinges on this, I'm prepared to swallow my pride.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you contact the admissions tutor letting them know that you might not have performed as well as you should have done and that you're really set on Lancaster then they may look on your slightly more favourably than if you had said nothing. Otherwise how are they to distinguish between weak candidates and people who - for whatever reason - didn't perform as well as they could but are capable of more?

Did you attend an interview as part of the application process? If yes then they may well use your performance in that to help them decide whether or not to give you an offer if you don't quite get the results they want. I certainly know people getting into Lancaster with BBC for an AAB/ABB course but that was a number of years ago and in a different department.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
2 days to go!!!

GL Faroth :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending