The Student Room Group

Handwritten CV - seriously?

I have just found a firm who have asked for a handwritten cover letter and CV.

Upon emailing them to clarify, they replied with "Please submit a handwritten covering letter and CV via post or email".

Surely the CV is typed?
What kind of firm is it? Artistic perhaps! :smile:
Original post by O'Doyle Rules

Upon emailing them to clarify, they replied with "Please submit a handwritten covering letter and CV via post or email".

Surely the CV is typed?

You need to clarify whether the letter alone needs to be handwritten, or the CV too. Logically it could read either way.

Long, long ago, and far, far away… I used to send out my CV handwritten - but it was semi-calligraphic, designed to make a point. However, it just got too much aggravation to update all the time (obviously I made copies, rather than keep writing each one out), so I gave it up.
B P Collins (for example) ask for handwritten covering letters because it tells them that the applicants really want the TC at their firm and aren't just copy/pasting their letters.

So they mean it when they say it. Although the CV for B P Collins didn't need to be handwritten...just the covering letter...
they mean handwritten cover letter - they do this because it tells them something else about you that a type-written cover letter doesn't - don't do the CV handwritten!

Original post by O'Doyle Rules

Surely the CV is typed?
I recently had to go through something similar for a mini-pupillage application, and I sent a typed CV and a handwritten letter. Somehow I just don't imagine anyone would particularly insist on a handwritten CV, and I got the mini, so apparently it was the right choice for this place at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending