The Student Room Group

Can I get into Chemical Engineering with my results?

Hey,

I didn't get the results I hoped for:

Higher Biology - A
Higher Chemistry - B
Higher English - B
Higher Maths - B
Higher Physics - B

In S6 I am taking AdvH Chem, bio and maths. Will having a B in maths disadvantage me? I also will hopefully get a HNC in applied sciences alongside doing my AdvH. I am also currently undertaking a Nuffield Research Placement. Could I get a place in chemical engineering? I plan to contact universities individually but I hope to get some good advice before I do. I've also been considering biomedical engineering, would I be better applying to a Life Science course?

Thanks!
Original post by Malayika
Hey,

Higher Biology - A
Higher Chemistry - B
Higher English - B
Higher Maths - B
Higher Physics - B

In S6 I am taking AdvH Chem, bio and maths. Will having a B in maths disadvantage me? I also will hopefully get a HNC in applied sciences alongside doing my AdvH. I am also currently undertaking a Nuffield Research Placement. Could I get a place in chemical engineering? I plan to contact universities individually but I hope to get some good advice before I do. I've also been considering biomedical engineering, would I be better applying to a Life Science course?

Thanks!

If your thinking of applying in Scotland there are only 5 unis that run the course: Edinburgh, Herriott Watt, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and University of West of Scotland. Your UCAS application allows you to apply for up to 5 uni's (if you choose to focus on one course). You meet and exceed the university of the West of Scotland's entry requirements already but for the rest your hindrance is being without an A in maths, physics or chemistry which are usually the most 'important' subjects for chem eng.
Now I know some unis have special cases where they'll accept a B at advanced higher as equivalent to an A at higher but you'll have to find out from each university what thier policy is.

My advice would be to contact admissions for each uni, tell them your current situation and ask them what the best course of action is/ will the advanced highers fill the gap in the highers. That is if you want to continue with chem eng. Nevertheless, you seem to be adding a lot of value to your UCAS application which is only a good thing. In response to your question, I do believe you can get into a chemical engineering course. I'm just not sure what calibre of university you'll be able to get into.

With regards to the biomedical engineering I'm not really sure. Looking at your results and choices for 6th year it would appear you have a strength in biology and one would think that would favour biomedical engineering over chem eng. Still though, maths forms the basis of any engineering degree so your efforts in sixth year must be for doing well in maths to make up for the B.

Whatever happens good luck!

EDIT: just noticed that these weren't the results you had hoped for. Was this because you were performing above that level beforehand? If these results have come as a disappointment please do not let them dull your expectations for uni. You still have an extra year to make up for any disappointment and bounce back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Malayika
Hey,

Higher Biology - A
Higher Chemistry - B
Higher English - B
Higher Maths - B
Higher Physics - B

Thanks!

Try the Strathclyde Engineering Academy. They would probably give you an unconditional for Chemical Engineering.
Reply 3
Original post by wordshark
If your thinking of applying in Scotland there are only 5 unis that run the course: Edinburgh, Herriott Watt, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and University of West of Scotland. Your UCAS application allows you to apply for up to 5 uni's (if you choose to focus on one course). You meet and exceed the university of the West of Scotland's entry requirements already but for the rest your hindrance is being without an A in maths, physics or chemistry which are usually the most 'important' subjects for chem eng.
Now I know some unis have special cases where they'll accept a B at advanced higher as equivalent to an A at higher but you'll have to find out from each university what thier policy is.

My advice would be to contact admissions for each uni, tell them your current situation and ask them what the best course of action is/ will the advanced highers fill the gap in the highers. That is if you want to continue with chem eng. Nevertheless, you seem to be adding a lot of value to your UCAS application which is only a good thing. In response to your question, I do believe you can get into a chemical engineering course. I'm just not sure what calibre of university you'll be able to get into.

With regards to the biomedical engineering I'm not really sure. Looking at your results and choices for 6th year it would appear you have a strength in biology and one would think that would favour biomedical engineering over chem eng. Still though, maths forms the basis of any engineering degree so your efforts in sixth year must be for doing well in maths to make up for the B.

Whatever happens good luck!

EDIT: just noticed that these weren't the results you had hoped for. Was this because you were performing above that level beforehand? If these results have come as a disappointment please do not let them dull your expectations for uni. You still have an extra year to make up for any disappointment and bounce back.

Thank you, this is helpful advice! I expected to do better in chemistry, hopefully I can make it up in advanced higher as well as maths. In regards to Life science courses do you have any recommendations on realistic ones I'd be able to get into, tbh I have found it really difficult to decide on one set career path never being 100% sure what is right for me.
Reply 4
Original post by SausageMan
Try the Strathclyde Engineering Academy. They would probably give you an unconditional for Chemical Engineering.

Thank you! I will definitely look into this :smile:
how lenient is herriott watt? I am predicted a BCC and they require a bbb
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending