The Student Room Group

UKCAT VR- difficult questions

Hey everyone... I was wondering if you guys could be kind enough to share some advice for VR. VR is something I am certainly struggling with, I find the true/false questions to be quite nice but the question with four statements I find difficult... I think they are very time consuming and some don't contain a key word in the question so each answers key word has to be found individually, I find this impossible in the time limit. :frown:

Has anyone got any advice or strategy for these questions? It would be really appreciated. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Jatyization
Hey everyone... I was wondering if you guys could be kind enough to share some advice for VR. VR is something I am certainly struggling with, I find the true/false questions to be quite nice but the question with four statements I find difficult... I think they are very time consuming and some don't contain a key word in the question so each answers key word has to be found individually, I find this impossible in the time limit. :frown:

Has anyone got any advice or strategy for these questions? It would be really appreciated. Thanks. :smile:

Unfortunately the "four statement" style question is more common in the actual UKCAT than the "true/false" type. Different people use different methods - I think I read the question/statements before scanning the passage so anything familiar would catch my eye, and if nothing leapt out then I'd read each paragraph in a little more depth to see if I could spot anything. If all else fails, take a guess! Flag it so it's easy to come back to at the end but if you feel like you're spending too long on something then move on.

The more you practise, the better you get (as with all UKCAT sections tbh) and if speed is a problem then maybe go onto news websites and click on random articles, scan them and then see how much you took in? Not easy to do necessarily but it might help you get your reading speed up!

The time limit is a nightmare but it's okay to flag questions so you can go back to them, as long as you put a guess down in case you run out of time!

Sorry I can't remember more about how to practise it, think I've blocked UKCAT from my memory :')
I feel your pain. The verbal section requires constant high concentration on the text. Firstly, if there is a date or any words with a capital in it, I would immediately make this a key word and scan the text. When you find the key word, read the sentence it's in carefully. Also, as you scan the text, get a feel for the structure of the text so that you may be able to find relevant pieces of info faster for later questions.
Reply 3
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
Unfortunately the "four statement" style question is more common in the actual UKCAT than the "true/false" type. Different people use different methods - I think I read the question/statements before scanning the passage so anything familiar would catch my eye, and if nothing leapt out then I'd read each paragraph in a little more depth to see if I could spot anything. If all else fails, take a guess! Flag it so it's easy to come back to at the end but if you feel like you're spending too long on something then move on.

The more you practise, the better you get (as with all UKCAT sections tbh) and if speed is a problem then maybe go onto news websites and click on random articles, scan them and then see how much you took in? Not easy to do necessarily but it might help you get your reading speed up!

The time limit is a nightmare but it's okay to flag questions so you can go back to them, as long as you put a guess down in case you run out of time!

Sorry I can't remember more about how to practise it, think I've blocked UKCAT from my memory :':wink:

Original post by yeahmerica
I feel your pain. The verbal section requires constant high concentration on the text. Firstly, if there is a date or any words with a capital in it, I would immediately make this a key word and scan the text. When you find the key word, read the sentence it's in carefully. Also, as you scan the text, get a feel for the structure of the text so that you may be able to find relevant pieces of info faster for later questions.

Thank you so much for your advice, it is really appreciated :smile:. I will try and employ these methods to tackle these types of questions... Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending