The Student Room Group

raf aptitude test

my husband is in the process of joining the raf, he applied firstly as an aircraft maintanence mechanic but was told he didnt hae the qualifications, they have given him a date of 19th of this month for his aptitude/selection test.
just wanted to know what the process is from there ie: do we find out on the day if he will be able to join as a different trade?, if he gets accepted where do we go from there? the other thing is hes been revising (left school 10 years ago) and pretty much got most of it up to a t apart from spatial reasoning, other then the aptitude test on the day is there anything else we should revise for knowledge ie: raf , nato ect ect
Original post by sambo12389
my husband is in the process of joining the raf, he applied firstly as an aircraft maintanence mechanic but was told he didnt hae the qualifications, they have given him a date of 19th of this month for his aptitude/selection test.
just wanted to know what the process is from there ie: do we find out on the day if he will be able to join as a different trade?, if he gets accepted where do we go from there? the other thing is hes been revising (left school 10 years ago) and pretty much got most of it up to a t apart from spatial reasoning, other then the aptitude test on the day is there anything else we should revise for knowledge ie: raf , nato ect ect

A massive thing is time management, dont get caught up on one question for too long. spacial is all about viewing objects from diffent sides etc so just get him to look about the house at objects and then imagine them from a different view.

He will get a presentation with lots of info after the AST, just make sure he writes it all down and then goes away and revises like mad on these subjects.

His marks together with his previous qualifications will narrow down his role choices, if he has a idea what roles his previous qualifications will allow him to go into get him to revise these and make sure he know which he really wants to go for.

best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by kilted_sparky
A massive thing is time management, dont get caught up on one question for too long. spacial is all about viewing objects from diffent sides etc so just get him to look about the house at objects and then imagine them from a different view.

He will get a presentation with lots of info after the AST, just make sure he writes it all down and then goes away and revises like mad on these subjects.

His marks together with his previous qualifications will narrow down his role choices, if he has a idea what roles his previous qualifications will allow him to go into get him to revise these and make sure he know which he really wants to go for.

best of luck!

thanks for all your help :smile:

one more question .......

my husband left school 10 years ago and was living in Blackburn since then he has moved to spain where his parents have a villa and then too Essex when he met me, in the process he has lost his certificates :frown: his selection/aptitude is on the 19th so not enough time to evan attempt and get copies will this be ok?
thanks for all your help :smile:

one more question .......

my husband left school 10 years ago and was living in Blackburn since then he has moved to spain where his parents have a villa and then too Essex when he met me, in the process he has lost his certificates :frown: his selection/aptitude is on the 19th so not enough time to evan attempt and get copies will this be ok?

Afraid not, he needs to get copies and will have to delay his application until he receives them. They may let him sit the AST, these questions can be answered by the AFCO just give them a call thats what they are there for.
Reply 4
We've tried ringing the afco numerous time and no answer so getting a bit anxious now
We've tried ringing the afco numerous time and no answer so getting a bit anxious now

As far as I know they are open 8:30-4:30 so as long as you keep trying during then you should get someone, alternatively if he can pop in and see them for 5 mins then do.
Reply 6
Ok will ring first thing until they answer were about and hour and half away from the afco so popping in isn't an option but hopefully the persistence will pay of thankyou
I'm not sure whether this is worth mentioning either ...

I am intending to submit my application the end of this month. I have been prepping and reading for a few months now and it still doesn't seem enough.

I have been back in the UK for a year now as I previously traveled across Australia working for 24 months and when I had a brief chat with the AFCO they said I'd need a CRB from Australia which I have obtained.

Not sure whether you'd need one for his time in Spain. I guess it depends on how long he's been home? I only mention because these can take a while to come through as well and costs.

I'm unsure how you go about chasing old certificates? I kept all mine in one folder but I'd start with the school ASAP as I doubt they have copies so it'll be over to the exam boards and again probably cost and time!?
Reply 8
Original post by BarrattsMini
I'm not sure whether this is worth mentioning either ...

I am intending to submit my application the end of this month. I have been prepping and reading for a few months now and it still doesn't seem enough.

I have been back in the UK for a year now as I previously traveled across Australia working for 24 months and when I had a brief chat with the AFCO they said I'd need a CRB from Australia which I have obtained.

Not sure whether you'd need one for his time in Spain. I guess it depends on how long he's been home? I only mention because these can take a while to come through as well and costs.

I'm unsure how you go about chasing old certificates? I kept all mine in one folder but I'd start with the school ASAP as I doubt they have copies so it'll be over to the exam boards and again probably cost and time!?

Thanks for your reply :smile: he's been back back for about 3 years, his parents still live there and are currently here hoping to go back this weekend so they will search the villa once there home, other then that I've tried constantly ringing the school to no avail but it is holidays.
I've spoken to numerous exam boards and each of them are roughly £48 per certificate and all of them take a rough estimate of 28-35 days wait so I think we're just going to have to bite the bullet wait till his parents go back to the villa and if no luck still attend the meeting and hope for the best
Thanks for your reply :smile: he's been back back for about 3 years, his parents still live there and are currently here hoping to go back this weekend so they will search the villa once there home, other then that I've tried constantly ringing the school to no avail but it is holidays.
I've spoken to numerous exam boards and each of them are roughly £48 per certificate and all of them take a rough estimate of 28-35 days wait so I think we're just going to have to bite the bullet wait till his parents go back to the villa and if no luck still attend the meeting and hope for the best

When he comes to officially apply they will want to see those certificates so there's little point even attending and not having them.

You could try asking the exam board for the overall results on a single sheet? I got one when I finalised my GCSE's. I got a separate certificate per exam done but also an over all for every exam under a certain board.

So for example out of say my 12 GCSE's 7 were under AQA so I got an overall stating say English, Math, Science, Language, Sport and their grades. Maybe you could just ask for that?
Reply 10
Original post by BarrattsMini
When he comes to officially apply they will want to see those certificates so there's little point even attending and not having them.

You could try asking the exam board for the overall results on a single sheet? I got one when I finalised my GCSE's. I got a separate certificate per exam done but also an over all for every exam under a certain board.

So for example out of say my 12 GCSE's 7 were under AQA so I got an overall stating say English, Math, Science, Language, Sport and their grades. Maybe you could just ask for that?

so he sat his test last Wednesday and got the following group scores A-40, B-41, C-38 and D-37

VR-3,NR-3,WR-5,EC-2,MC-4 and SR-3

they told him that if he wants to choose a job outside of his results he will need to sit anoher test will this be the same test just redone?

I managed after a very long wait to get hold of his school and they managed to find his results which they sent directly to m husbands email and also to out address on letter headed paper :smile:

what is the next steps??
I'm afraid I cannot answer for the further steps for sure but well done on chasing down the results for free via e-mail.

I would however assume that this is a non officer application so it would likely be the same test (different questions, same format) and he'd have to score higher in whatever sections are required for that role.

For example (I'm making this up) - he applied for Police but now wants to be an Intelligence Analyst. His score was fine for Police but for Intelligence it requires a VR of 4 and an EC of 4. So he would need to re-sit and improve there for eligibility for that role.

Someone correct my assumptions by all means.
so he sat his test last Wednesday and got the following group scores A-40, B-41, C-38 and D-37

VR-3,NR-3,WR-5,EC-2,MC-4 and SR-3

they told him that if he wants to choose a job outside of his results he will need to sit anoher test will this be the same test just redone?

I managed after a very long wait to get hold of his school and they managed to find his results which they sent directly to m husbands email and also to out address on letter headed paper :smile:

what is the next steps??

Sambo

The application process is listed in detail on the RAF Careers website.

The only test for non-aptitude based roles is the Airman Selection Test which is what he will have already sat.

AT.

Unsure if your question has already been answered, but they can take you on as 'RISK' status without the certs, and have your CBAT and all that done, but when it comes to the filter interview, the certs must be with you!

Quick Reply

Latest