Reply 700
Hmmm graduate here with 692.5 band 1.

I've still not heard anything though.

Congrats to everyone who has though.
Original post by Torel
Hmmm graduate here with 692.5 band 1.

I've still not heard anything though.

Congrats to everyone who has though.

Relax (if you can); as long as you got a 2:1 you've got an interview. I'm a fellow grad with 692.5 and I've got my interview for Durham on the 9th. They use exactly the same cut off. I've also applied to Newcastle, but not worried about waiting for them now as I know if I meet the cut off for one then I meet it for the other. So the Newcastle interview is on its way for both of us.
Reply 702
anyone got any tips for making a good lasting first impression? I've got my newcastle interview on Tuesday and i'm bricking it!!! I feel so under-prepared :/
Reply 703
What do you mean a good lasting first impression. Newcastle is MMI, so you'll be making repeated first impressions.

My only advice as someone whose been through some very high stress interviews in the past and down well, is:

Be genuine
Be sincere
Be yourself
Make them remember you

No second chances.

You come in, you're confidant, charismatic, yet reserved and diffident. The trick is to appear eager and capable without appearing big headed and if you can make them smile, that's always a win.
Original post by Torel
What do you mean a good lasting first impression. Newcastle is MMI, so you'll be making repeated first impressions.

My only advice as someone whose been through some very high stress interviews in the past and down well, is:

Be genuine
Be sincere
Be yourself
Make them remember you

No second chances.

You come in, you're confidant, charismatic, yet reserved and diffident. The trick is to appear eager and capable without appearing big headed and if you can make them smile, that's always a win.

Durham is MMI, Newcastle is panel. Any experience with MMI torel?
Original post by JannaX
anyone got any tips for making a good lasting first impression? I've got my newcastle interview on Tuesday and i'm bricking it!!! I feel so under-prepared :/

I feel your pain, I have one on the 9th and I'm dreading it!
Reply 706
Original post by treenyc
Durham is MMI, Newcastle is panel. Any experience with MMI torel?

I thought they both updated to MMI this year.

I have had some limited experience in MMI.

I preferred panel as you have the chance to build a rapport with your interviewers, in an MMI they see you in an abstract isolated way. It's very akin to those timed debates people do on debating teams, where you have to get your point across in a limited time.

Advice for that:

Be clear
Be concise
Don't ramble
Don't say "errrmm..."
Be confidant
Say what you think, not what you think they want to hear.
It's better to take 30 seconds to compose yourself at the start in silence and give a good answer, than jump into an answer immediately and find yourself confused midway through.
Don't come across smug or arrogant
Be yourself
Are there any other factors that they take into account when selecting for interview? I was assigned to Durham and I meet all the academic requirements and UKCAT 725 but still haven't heard anything. (Not impatient just wanting to know if PS statement etc plays a part)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Torel
I thought they both updated to MMI this year.

I have had some limited experience in MMI.

I preferred panel as you have the chance to build a rapport with your interviewers, in an MMI they see you in an abstract isolated way. It's very akin to those timed debates people do on debating teams, where you have to get your point across in a limited time.

Advice for that:

Be clear
Be concise
Don't ramble
Don't say "errrmm..."
Be confidant
Say what you think, not what you think they want to hear.
It's better to take 30 seconds to compose yourself at the start in silence and give a good answer, than jump into an answer immediately and find yourself confused midway through.
Don't come across smug or arrogant
Be yourself

Only Durham have changed to MMI, it's in the admissions statement. Not rambling or saying erm is gonna be tough :/
To everyone who's preparing for interviews can you help me??? I don't understand the governments incentives behind privatising the NHS or the new junior doctor contracts. I get the proposals etc but i don't get why the government want to do this? For example, if they're saying most junior doctors will be paid more than surely that's costing the government more money, so wouldn't they just stick with the current system and save themselves grief and money?!?!?!?!? THANK YOU!
Original post by thomaarrss
To everyone who's preparing for interviews can you help me??? I don't understand the governments incentives behind privatising the NHS or the new junior doctor contracts. I get the proposals etc but i don't get why the government want to do this? For example, if they're saying most junior doctors will be paid more than surely that's costing the government more money, so wouldn't they just stick with the current system and save themselves grief and money?!?!?!?!? THANK YOU!

With the cut in anti social hours pay, junior doctors are set to lose around 30% pay even after the basic pay rise.
I scored 687.5 average on the UKCAT and recieved an interview invitation from Newcastle last week- the threshold may not be as high as you think it is :smile:
Original post by elizabeth000
I scored 687.5 average on the UKCAT and recieved an interview invitation from Newcastle last week- the threshold may not be as high as you think it is :smile:

Well done!
Original post by JannaX

Me too! What time is yours?
Reply 714
Original post by medapplicant2016
Me too! What time is yours?

yayyy we can go through the pain together! mines at 11:00 to 11:30, what about you?? what have you done to prepare??
Reply 715
Original post by thomaarrss

1) the current contract is not ideal. Both the govt and bma recognise the need for a new contract.

2) the pay rise thing is spin, most junior docs will have a pay cut under the current proposals. The pay packet is not increasing, so there will be no pay rise for the majority.

3) the govt wants to implement a 7 day nhs- the new junior and consultant contracts are meant to facilitate this by redefining saturdays and late hours as "social", meaning they will have to pay drs less.

That is the main rationale behind a new contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JannaX
yayyy we can go through the pain together! mines at 11:00 to 11:30, what about you?? what have you done to prepare??

Mines at 10.30! Super scared...is this your first one?
Reply 717
Mines at 10.30! Super scared...is this your first one?

:O maybe I'll see you! Ahaha and yup :/ first interview ever tbh
Original post by JannaX
:O maybe I'll see you! Ahaha and yup :/ first interview ever tbh

Haha yeah I will, or at least I'll know your username! I had one at Cardiff on Friday and they were seriously so lovely, hopefully it'll be the same at Newcastle. I love the course and city so much, I just really want to get in.
Reply 719
Haha yeah I will, or at least I'll know your username! I had one at Cardiff on Friday and they were seriously so lovely, hopefully it'll be the same at Newcastle. I love the course and city so much, I just really want to get in.

I just don't want any weird obscure questions :/ and same, Newcastle university is so lovely and the city is awesome too, I just need an offer from somewhere!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending