The Student Room Group

Are these grades actually good for year 9?

My friends tell me that my grades are fine for the end of year 9 but I don't believe them. I think they are just saying that so I don't feel bad and overall I am not pleased with my grades. Please tell me if they are actually okay for year 9 and what would these levels mean for my GCSE subjects (art and Spanish)

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
Citizenship 4a (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Technology 5b (target 6c)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

Scroll to see replies

theyre alright
Original post by Blah_blah12
My friends tell me that my grades are fine for the end of year 9 but I don't believe them. I think they are just saying that so I don't feel bad and overall I am not pleased with my grades. Please tell me if they are actually okay for year 9 and what would these levels mean for my GCSE subjects (art and Spanish)

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

Looking at mostly B grades with the odd C grade; which is fine!
I remember starting GCSEs in year 9 and came out with B grades. By the end of year 11 I had mostly A grades. You mature as you get older so you're more likely to do well.
Well done! :smile:
It's good that you're doing well in all the important subjects :smile:

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

I am going to be in year 10 come september. Your grades look fine it is just a few that are a bit below average for a year 9 student but you have time to get your grades higher. I managed to go from a 5a in English at the beginning of Year 9 to a 7c, so it is not impossible. You should work on RE because it is very important since it is compulsory and your sciences/maths because those people will definitley look at. You kind of remind me of myself because at the start of year 9 I wasn't very good at science either (I was in the lowest set) but in the end of year test I managed to get three A's. Didn't you start Maths, Science and RS GCSE course yet or are you going to start all for year 10? Just curious, what did you choose for your options and are you doing seperate sciences?
Original post by prophetkid
Looking at mostly B grades with the odd C grade; which is fine!
I remember starting GCSEs in year 9 and came out with B grades. By the end of year 11 I had mostly A grades. You mature as you get older so you're more likely to do well.
Well done! :smile:

Your memory cant be that bad. That's not how this works. In year 9 you are still on the level system.
Original post by alexs2602
Your memory cant be that bad. That's not how this works. In year 9 you are still on the level system.

Not everyone starts GCSEs in Year 10 + 11. Some do a few in Year 9.

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

They're fine, honest. You'll realise when you're doing GCSEs that Year 9 levels really didn't matter, because you can make huge improvements over the next two years, when you've actually started GCSE work.

What are your other GCSE subjects? :smile:
Original post by Black Rose
Not everyone starts GCSEs in Year 10 + 11. Some do a few in Year 9.

KS3 then. Which this clearly is.
Reply 8
They're good, well done. Just focus in lessons and do what you're told and you'll be sound.

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

They are fine !! But honestly it's about where you go from now; ensuring you have a good worth ethic and continue it through year 10 and 11. I messed around for the whole of year 9 and got mostly levels 5's/4's ( level 3's in technology subjects I thought were a joke and my attendence was selective :redface: however I am predicted to achieve mostly a*'s on results day because I worked hard for the last 2 years!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 10

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

Yep average a bit better than average but average for me. There quite good especially the humanities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

Yeah those grades are alright. Maybe for re and citizenship you might want to focus on a tad bit but re is actually quite easy so don't worry and for citizenship I think they will make that compulsory for GCSE's now because I think I have to do it even if I didn't pick it. Spanish and Art are good and your nearly at your target levels so don't worry about them :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602

In year 9 I started actual GCSEs and have qualifications to show for it; as my school started them this early. It's not all really down to memory, it's finding a way to revise which best suites you and looking at time management. It was definitely a major trend in everyone at my school, they improved as they progressed through the 3 years in terms of grades.
As long as you work hard, you can achieve those A*s
For example (my actual results for year 9)
- English 7a
- Maths Grade B
- Science 7C
- ICT 8c
- Technology 7b
- Spanish 7a

But, if I don't work hard I could fail all of these subjects in a heart beat. As ling as you get your work done on time and actually just get your head down, you'll be fine. Don't stress yourself about these levels as they're pretty worthless because it's the next two years which count; not the others.
Reply 14
People were lucky who done there GCSEs in year 9 and 10. I got mine all in year 11 and flunked biology exams. I do double AQA and moved from year 10 to a different school and done my GCSEs there since I thought I was gonna fail English and Fail since the exam Board was Edexcel which do not disclose past papers. But they do there exams all together in year 11 anyways. But it's good to see actual improvement with a re-sit i guess, As there actual exams and you get into the process of exams and aren't stressed out and having a total panic attack during your first GCSE exam in year 11...

English 5a (target 6b)
Maths 6b (target 6c)
Science 5c (target 6c)
ICT 6c (target 5a)
Geography 7c (target 6b)
History 6b (target 6c)
PE 4b (target 6c)
RE 4a (target 6c)
Art 5c (target 5b)
Music 4a (target 5b)
Dance 5c (target 5c)
Drama 5c (target 5a)
Spanish 6a (target 7c)

The grades go
3=g
4=f
5=e
6=d
7=c
8=b
9=A
and on and on

and you go up about a grade or so each year, so if your getting a D now you could get about a B at GCSE
I remember fretting over NC results in year nine. I'll tell you now, they're really nothing to be concerned with, no one will care less once you step into year 10. Also looking at them you seem to be doing just fine anyway. The amount of change that happens between Year 9 and year 11 is crazy. You'll learn so much more and get a glimpse for what you really suck at but also what you're really interested and good in. If it affects setting, then make sure it doesn't disadvantage you. If your levels put you in a set with a bad teacher or limit you from doing an extra gcse e.g. Triple science, I would complain at your school for know nothing about education.
Original post by Sophie2001
The grades go
3=g
4=f
5=e
6=d
7=c
8=b
9=A
and on and on

and you go up about a grade or so each year, so if your getting a D now you could get about a B at GCSE

Luckily for students it doesn't really work like that. NC levels are simply used as a tool for progress and providing support for students in key stage three. GCSEs are heavily reliant on the exam prep you do and the performance of yourself during the season you're sitting your exams in. Compared to year 9, GCSEs are certainly a whole new game, and A levels, then a significant step up too.
Here are a few of my actual grades
Year 9---GCSE
Geography 6C---A*
French 5A---A*
English 6B---A*

Conclusion? I can't remember year 9 anymore. It doesn't matter, you can improve a lot over a year or two. Students are getting anxiety WAY too early!
I did start the maths and science GCSE courses in year 9 but the reason I am doing so badly in science is because I haven't had a proper science teacher, I have always had supply teachers who I can't learn from which is why I am only doing the compulsory double science (separate sciences, chemistry and biology) and not triple science. Also, I have not started the RS GCSE course, l am yet to start that in year 10.

Quick Reply

Latest