The Student Room Group

Would you date someone 'lower' than you socially?

Say you're a doctor. Would you date a nurse or a pharmacist?

Or say you work at McKinsey. Would you date someone at KPMG?

Or say you went to Oxford. Would you date someone that went to Birmingham University?

Scroll to see replies

Only if I loved them

Posted from TSR Mobile
the real question you should ask is "Would you date someone 'higher' than you socially?" because i wouldnt want to be seen with a pretentious wealthy person
I'm from a dirt village in Africa, only way is up :biggrin: seriously tho this whole British obsession with "social class" is pretty sad
It simply makes no difference to me, higher or lower, can't stand these bull**** social constructs.
Reply 5
Original post by scriberg
the real question you should ask is "Would you date someone 'higher' than you socially?" because i wouldnt want to be seen with a pretentious wealthy person

Are all wealthy people pretentious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ItaSpicyMeatabol
Only if I loved them

Posted from TSR Mobile

So love is unimportant if you're dating 'higher' ?
Reply 7

yes, good point. I personally wouldn't.
Original post by Anonymous
So love is unimportant if you're dating 'higher' ?

I'd only date somebody with a higher social level/standing than me, if I loved them, the theme is that I don't really care about the height

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
Are all wealthy people pretentious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

After watching Made in Chelsea for 4 years, yes
Yes they'll be my sexual secretary.
Yes of course I would if I liked the person, they had a good personality and I was attracted to them whether people would deem them above or below me socially would be irrelevant.
Eww no.
After watching Made in Chelsea for 4 years, yes

OK but what about Toff who remains down to Earth even after being best friends with Mark F for so long?
of course...
Say you're a doctor. Would you date a nurse or a pharmacist?Or say you work at McKinsey. Would you date someone at KPMG?Or say you went to Oxford. Would you date someone that went to Birmingham University?

Sorry, but anyone who thinks in this manner is ignorant and might as well not date at all.

It sounds like if a person didn't study in a high ranked university or have a well-respectable job then they're not "good enough" to date somebody who had the opportunity.

I don't see how that makes the "lower" person unworthy.

But anyway, 3/10 on trolling attempt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends how low. I probably wouldn't date someone on the dole if I was in advertising (where I'm going for). But thats less social and more financial.
(edited 8 years ago)
If that's where they want to be then fair enough. If they can't be bothered pushing themselves, and hence are in a less skilled field, then perhaps not.
Or say you work at McKinsey. Would you date someone at KPMG?

I wouldn't touch any girl who wasn't at McKinsey or Goldman's with a 10 foot pole if I worked at McKinsey. KPMG? Ha.
Well I'm a male and likely to be a chartered accountant. The only professions I'd put higher are investment banker/barrister or doctor/surgeon. I wouldn't really like to date someone higher than myself and tbh, I'm from a single parent household really trying to do the best for myself given my non-standard upbringing. Accountancy is dominated by the middle-class so I'm not even sure how well I will connect with many on a personal level; time will tell.

A person who is likely to understand me and who I am will therefore less likely come from the middle-class echelons of society tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending