The Student Room Group

Engineering Myths

Scroll to see replies

The most important point/section by far in the OP is: You’re guaranteed a job once you graduate

The job market out there is extremely competitive, there is an over-abundance of engineers at the moment.
Original post by + polarity -
And being engineers we use Laplace or Z-transforms (or even graphical methods) to simplify such equations and reduce them to 'mere' algebra, with the sole purpose of making it easier to implement :tongue:

:rofl3:

So if your having to use laplace transform in your daily job is that not using all of the complex maths taught during the degree as part of your job as OP puts it? or is it not complex enough than using a excel in a cubicle...
Original post by Smack
There are a few myths that surround the study and practise of engineering, and a few of the same questions that keep getting posted again and again by every successive generation of applicants. Hopefully this addresses some of them.

You will have no time for a social life/you will have to study all the time. This is probably the most prevalent myth surrounding studying engineering, and perhaps also one of the most damaging. Look, if you’re studying almost any subject at university there is going to be lots of hard work involved. But students of even the most rigorous degrees maths, medicine, physics, law, etc. manage to balance a social life with studying. If you can’t, then you need to study more efficiently, and/or improve your time management skills.

You need work experience to get into an engineering course. This one in particular seems to worry many prospective engineering students, but given that I’m posting this in a post about myths, you can guess what it is. Given that in the UK it is the norm to attend university immediately after finishing secondary school (not withstanding a possible gap yah to Combodiah), you’re not expected to have obtained any work experience before commencing an engineering course. In fact I am going to posit that it is almost impossible to gain genuine work experience before starting the degree for the simple reason that without any sort of engineering education there are no engineering tasks you can perform. It would be remiss for a company to get a pre-university student to perform a genuine engineering task, such as to perform a calculation or mark up a drawing. What “experience” in this context usually means is “shadowed someone for a bit, and maybe got the coffee”. Only a very small amount of engineering students will have done this before their degree and I have heard no evidence whatsoever that admissions tutors are particularly bothered about it. Good if you can get it, but certainly not a deal breaker if you can’t.

You will need to get a good laptop to run CAD/other engineering software. Lots of people ask what kind of specs they’ll need to handle the software they’ll be using as part of the course. The answer is always the same: there is no point in buying an expensive laptop solely or primarily to run CAD or other computer intensive engineering software because the department will have computers that will run the software. So if you can only afford a cheap laptop that will only run Chrome and Word, it’s fine.

You will be using all of the complex maths taught during the degree as part of your job. This is probably the most common myth surrounding engineering as a job. I understand why you would think this; after all, an engineering degree is largely about applying complex maths to supposedly real world problems. Why would engineering degrees have so much calculus if it practising engineers rarely, if ever, use it? The answer to this question, like the maths itself, isn't exactly simple, but the best way to think of an engineering degree is one that provides the theory behind why you do what you’ll be doing during your career. Engineering degrees work you through the steps that are gone through to produce the equations you’ll be plugging numbers into; they train you how to think rigorously about physical concepts. Yes, many practicable problems may be solved analytically, using a fairly high level of maths, but once the analytical solution is known, the problem is then generally reduced to a simple arithmetical one. And now, with the widespread use of finite element software, numerical solutions are increasingly easy to use, and required in many cases where an analytical solution would either be quixotic at best, impossible at worst (situations involving complex geometry, non-linear behaviour etc.) To add to this, there's a whole lot of experimental data that goes into engineering too... in some cases, experiments and experience are much more useful than pure maths (e.g., friction coefficients). So, if you think that engineering is a career where you get paid to play with calculus all day, then you may be quite disappointed, unless you stay in academia.

You automatically get chartership after four years. In reality, the amount of years experience you have bears little on whether you are eligible for chartership. It’s about achieving a minimum level on key competencies. Some companies offer accredited graduate schemes where as part of the scheme you will gain the relevant competencies to become chartered in a four year period. Perhaps this is where the four year figure comes from. But if you’re not effectively being fast-tracked to chartership by your company it can take more than the mythical four years (in fact it probably will). In fact it may be that chartership isn't even for you.

You’re guaranteed a job once you graduate. It certainly isn't “guaranteed” by any stretch of imagination. Merely sitting and passing your degree isn't enough nowadays, you need much more than that. Employers are looking for candidates who at least show signs of being able to be competent engineers in the future, so you’re going to sit some fairly rigorous interviews where you’re really tested in a way that is more relevant to what’s required from industry than passing university exams. Your “soft” skills are going to be tested, too, as are your presentation skills (presentations are very commonly used as part of the interview process). So don’t sit back and expect the job offers to come swarming in because you passed all of your exams (even with flying colours), you need to put effort into developing yourself into an employable person.

The degree teaches you everything you need to know. You only really begin learning about engineering once you begin your first job.

Can you tell me how good a university I could do Engineering at in theory with a level 3 Btech in Engineering?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you do one for chemical engineering please?

Probably exactly the same, the only addition would be you don't get free petrol if you work for an O&G company, but may get a discount (certainly for a utility company).
Original post by bigboateng
So if your having to use laplace transform in your daily job is that not using all of the complex maths taught during the degree as part of your job as OP puts it? or is it not complex enough than using a excel in a cubicle...

I don't think it's that complex tbh, there are tables available for the transforms so it's as simple as picking them from the list, and if you wanted to characterise a system (get the transfer function) you can do that in Matlab, which isn't complex either. I suppose the degree would introduce you to the different kinds of systems but you wouldn't be required to use either the calculus or algebra (or disgusting matrices for state space) that you actually work with during the degree.

Original post by Kadak

Original post by HornDirndlFest
Can you tell me how good a university I could do Engineering at in theory with a level 3 Btech in Engineering?

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
The most important point/section by far in the OP is: You’re guaranteed a job once you graduate

The job market out there is extremely competitive, there is an over-abundance of engineers at the moment.

Not true, it just depends. Everyone applies to the big companies, so getting into them is competitive. If you do your research and know which area you want to work in and start researching firms who are involved in said area, you'll find lots of SMEs who have grad schemes (maybe for 1-5 grads) but don't advertise as they can't do it on the scale of the big firms. Competition for SMEs is a lot less and competent candidates who show a passion for the SMEs business and their operating area are very likely to be interviewed.
Original post by Like_A_G6
Not true, it just depends. Everyone applies to the big companies, so getting into them is competitive. If you do your research and know which area you want to work in and start researching firms who are involved in said area, you'll find lots of SMEs who have grad schemes (maybe for 1-5 grads) but don't advertise as they can't do it on the scale of the big firms. Competition for SMEs is a lot less and competent candidates who show a passion for the SMEs business and their operating area are very likely to be interviewed.

I only ever applied to the large firms, but people I knew kept telling me that competition was tough even in the smaller less-known companies. Your mileage will vary though.
I don't think it's that complex tbh, there are tables available for the transforms so it's as simple as picking them from the list, and if you wanted to characterise a system (get the transfer function) you can do that in Matlab, which isn't complex either. I suppose the degree would introduce you to the different kinds of systems but you wouldn't be required to use either the calculus or algebra (or disgusting matrices for state space) that you actually work with during the degree.

I've tried laplace transforms and proving them and I found it hard maybe its just me. But listening to what people are saying it depends what job you get which will determine how much maths you have to use.

btw I haven't started university yet, I start in september.
Reply 48
Original post by Smack
I actually found the maths mainly quite ... satisfying ... to study. In contrast to the engineering modules, where the calculations could feel clunky and imprecise (because they were), the maths modules felt cleaner and more precise. You knew your answer was sound.

Fantasy is more exciting than real life, yes.

You don't know? I looked up that Liverpool require the equivalent of A*, so that shall be my aim

Spoiler

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

My post was intended to be fairly general and apply to engineering as a whole, not discipline specific.

I only ever applied to the large firms, but people I knew kept telling me that competition was tough even in the smaller less-known companies. Your mileage will vary though.

The impression I have gotten from companies I have been at is that leaving a position unfilled is preferable to filling it with someone who might be completely unsuitable for it. Therefore merely having a degree certificate does not guarantee one a job, but I don't think that competent candidates will struggle to find work if they are willing to look past the big names that do the rounds at careers fairs and advertise on the likes of Gradcracker.
Original post by HornDirndlFest

I don't know anything about BTECs, sorry.
Reply 53
Probably exactly the same, the only addition would be you don't get free petrol if you work for an O&G company, but may get a discount (certainly for a utility company).

Hahaha this made laugh!

Original post by Smack

Brilliant thread Smack!
Original post by AlexeiLipov
I see. Would you say it's a job that's interesting and enjoyable? Stimulating? Or tedious and boring? Bit of a subjective question I know, but I've heard it's long hours and staring at CAD or Word on a computer all day.

replace word with excel and powerpoint!

It depends what you get given, on my placement year I've had really interesting projects using CFD to develop next generation designs, project management which was really different and helped my soft skills, a coding job which really helped me get into the fine details of the subject (fatigue calculation ) but my final rotation was was as a project engineer, which meant organising and loading work for other departments to do, then bring together their results to interpret the data to decide which direction or design decision to pursue, which means turning lots of excel data into nice graphs in powerpoint to discuss with my team.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iceman95
Hi I will be in year 2 of my 4 year meng Mechanical engineering course. I am contemplating in doing a work placement next summer so just wondering if there's any advice anyone can give me about applying for summer placements?

Research the company, if you can tell the interviewer something about their own company that isn't immediately obvious then you will stand out.

Definitely do look for year placements and summer placements, a degree on it's own is not enough to compete with students who have experience or have gone to better universities.

Practice giving presentations, learn about the company, try and take the lead in the group exercise, but don't be forceful or over delegate (all of my interviews for placements had a group exercise, it's standard nowadays) I found one of my major problems in my interviews were I would take the lead for the group task, but over delegate, set people to work and have nothing left for me to do, which obviously isn't the best use of resources, and leaves it a bit awkward when trying to get stuck in to build the tower or whatever it is you've been asked to do.

keep time for the team, make them aware of constraints like an imaginary budget or time limit etc., try and demonstrate you are a valuable member.

The same goes for interviews, try and demonstrate what you personally added to any projects or activities you were part of, likely as you run through your CV.
Original post by kingkongjaffa
replace word with excel and powerpoint!

It depends what you get given, on my placement year I've had really interesting projects using CFD to develop next generation designs, project management which was really different and helped my soft skills, a coding job which really helped me get into the fine details of the subject (fatigue calculation ) but my final rotation was was as a project engineer, which meant organising and loading work for other departments to do, then bring together their results to interpret the data to decide which direction or design decision to pursue, which means turning lots of excel data into nice graphs in powerpoint to discuss with my team.

Thanks!
there is an over-abundance of engineers at the moment.

not really, if you are extremely skilled you will get a job easily. The truth is most people graduate with average knowledge, by that I mean they do the bare minimum to pass, even if they get a first it doesnt meant they are a 'good' engineer. Engineering is not about passing exams, I've seen a lot of fourth years students in respectable uni's and they seem to not have a clue, even in their final year gdp's they just copy stuff like computer code on line. For example a 4th year guy who runs a robotic society in my uni for his project which involved the use of gyroscopes and a bunch of sensors and if you ever used them you will know they have a lot of noise which needs filtering out, they just copied the code online without even bothering to see how it works. The code they copied uses high&low pass filters however there are many other options for removing noise such as Kalman filters, they didnt bother (probably didnt know) about noise on the sensors. Some people will say well if someone has already done it then why bother doing it form scratch, well that is why you're gonna come out of uni not being able to get jobs because you're just an average just like everyone else. If you had come out having done lots of experience, worked on your own personal projects, worked with a professor on a project to produce results who is to say the job market is extremely competitive.
Original post by bigboateng_

Incredibly naive post. Sgt Incontro is spot on, of course there is an abundance of engineers. Getting a job in engineering is far from easy....you will realise this when you start applying for graduate jobs. In fact it frustrates a lot of people because they find it incredibly difficult to obtain jobs.

P.s. Also I think you're missing the whole point of the degree, it's not to know equations or how things work.... :facepalm2: it's teaching you how to think like an engineer. That's a big difference.
Big Boat has a point (and I'm not just saying that so this thread doesn't look like everyone's piling in against him).

If you're a competent engineer then it's going to be easier to find work (I'm aware that's merely a truism). It's not totally uncommon for final years to have multiple job offers - the ones who you know have the ability to just get things done, who you can just tell are going to be competent engineers. These are usually the people who have got a bit of initiative and an actual interest in engineering (e.g. they didn't just go into it because they liked maths and/or physics), as well as a little bit of experience.

However, if you're an engineering undergrad who thinks that all you need to do is get a first, or that the stuff taught on your degree is exactly what you are going to be using on your job, or doesn't look into the job or industry a bit more closely, you are going to struggle. I think that if you have a certificate that says that you are a bachelor or a master of engineering, there is a baseline of competence expected of you.

The actual process of getting a job is, however, not easy, and this was mainly what I was referring to in my original post. You can expect multiple rounds of interviews, assessments, presentations etc. at the typical names you'll see advertising for positions on the likes of Gradcracker. And the process can be frustrating. Not everyone will make it through. Although that said, most engineering students do eventually go on to engineering jobs, albeit, not everyone will go straight into the Jaguars, the Rolls Royces, The GEs, the Boeings etc. of the world. You also have to look into the smaller companies - many of them have shorter processes, and may not get as many applications as the big companies.

Quick Reply

Latest