The Student Room Group

Why are immigrants so desperate to come over from France

Scroll to see replies

The point of my original post was that they are already in a rich european country. I understand that they are refugees or whatever but why not just stay in France or Germany or Spain was my point.
Reply 21
Original post by moggis
And that's what most of them do,stay in France.

As far as risking their lives is concerned you risk your life every time you get in a car and your future is presumably a far far better one.

Plus quite a lot of people take part in dangerous sports etc.

The people who risk their lives to come here deserve better than some of the comments on here.

Um what? Simply getting into a car is nothing like clinging for dear life under a lorry.

The dangerous sports comparison is arguably apt - both that and choosing to come to England illegally are choices. Though sports has more safety precautions of course. For most people, getting in a car is more a necessity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Only recently have the border control increased. Since early jan this year i believe
Most of the migrants that do get in end up on benefits as they are unskilled
Some may be coming for better healthcare

You believe, right.

Nothing has changed for a good few years. It's probably got stricter because of the migrants.

Ever been abroad? Border controls are fine. Do you even know that there are no border controls between EU countries? So that's no controls on the continent vs strict controls for the UK. You do the maths.

How do you know most come for benefits? Registered asylum seekers don't get the benefits EU citizens are entitled to. So that's less likely. Don't jump to false conclusions. Do your homework.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karl pilkington
I mean people say it is due to benefits etc but I still don't understand it. They could stay in france or go to Spain or Germany. Why do they want to come here so much.

In many towns and villages across the developing world the british empire is alive and well

The 2007 Financial Crises havnt quite made it into public imagination.
In France they have means tested benefits so someone told me they don't receive anything there
Reply 25
In France they have means tested benefits so someone told me they don't receive anything there

Are you not thinking today? By that logic they'd get more as the immigrants have no money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
our welfare system
because they get more free stuff given to them for simply existing here than in france
Free house, free money, FREE EVERYTHING
Original post by justag
Are you not thinking today? By that logic they'd get more as the immigrants have no money

Posted from TSR Mobile

no sorry I meant contributions based so if you haven't paid any tax you don't receive anything
Reply 30
no sorry I meant contributions based so if you haven't paid any tax you don't receive anything

B*llocks. I studied in France and got benefits off the government to help pay for my rent in Paris. Every student is entitled to this, whether you're loaded or dirt poor. I've not given a single penny in tax to the French government.

So many people talking sh*t in this thread. Do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
B*llocks. I studied in France and got benefits off the government to help pay for my rent in Paris. Every student is entitled to this, whether you're loaded or dirt poor. I've not given a single penny in tax to the French government.

So many people talking sh*t in this thread. Do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

as a student people who haven't paid tax don;t get benefits how else do you explain their desperation to come here they risk their lives when they are already living in a rich european country
Reply 32
as a student people who haven't paid tax don;t get benefits how else do you explain their desperation to come here they risk their lives when they are already living in a rich european country

They think the UK is some magical utopia land. False.

They can't be arsed to learn French.

That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
They think the UK is some magical utopia land. False.

They can't be arsed to learn French.

That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile

What they would rick their lives because they can't be bothered to learn English? I doubt that somehow. Also some of them already speak french (the ones from Senegal etc)
Reply 34
What they would rick their lives because they can't be bothered to learn English? I doubt that somehow. Also some of them already speak french (the ones from Senegal etc)

They have strange over idealistic visions of what life is like here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because France has a culture of anti-homelessness and poor treatment. And The prospects of English-speaking countries and the utopic picture painted of a better life, if people crawl through the euro tunnel to get here; maybe for oxford maybe for fruit picking or any improvement of life then the scrounging false image should be diminished when their claim to benefits is significantly less than "British British" people. So while France is seen as an alternative, the job opportunities are not as life altering because of language or otherwise. Britain May be their last chance to improve their life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compared to other European nations, the UK is doing little to help the migrants from both Calais and from further afield.

In 2014, the UK received 31,745 applications for asylum - compared to 81,000 for Sweden and over 200,000 for Germany. Contrary to what tabloids would like you to think, the "swarm" of migrants that supposedly threatens British borders does not exist.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/07/britain-refugee-magnet-sudanese-channel-tunnelhttp://i100.independent.co.uk/article/heres-how-many-people-are-actually-seeking-asylum-in-britain--W1QNbG0_ZVe

Furthermore, many of these migrants are refugees that have fled war, persecution and death from Syria and Iraq, not economic migrants from North Africa - these migrants more often than not head for Italy and Greece, where immigration rules are more lax than in the UK.

As such, the process for granting asylum seekers that do have a legal right to reside in Britain needs to be sped up. A lot.
In my view, Mr. Cameron's fence building is only a stop-gap solution - setting up a dedicated centre for granting legitimate asylum requests is a much better idea in the long term.
Reply 37
Original post by Iman.Gov
Because France has a culture of anti-homelessness and poor treatment. And The prospects of English-speaking countries and the utopic picture painted of a better life, if people crawl through the euro tunnel to get here; maybe for oxford maybe for fruit picking or any improvement of life then the scrounging false image should be diminished when their claim to benefits is significantly less than "British British" people. So while France is seen as an alternative, the job opportunities are not as life altering because of language or otherwise. Britain May be their last chance to improve their life

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think migrants are risking their lives to get to the UK...so they can go to Oxford?

Lollllllll. Only on TSR :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38

Networks. They already know people in the UK and it's easir for them to find illegal work.
Reply 39
Original post by Josb
Networks. They already know people in the UK and it's easir for them to find illegal work.

Yep good point!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending