The Student Room Group

Skin Cancer Anxiety

Hey everyone,
I had a mole removed two weeks ago because it changed in shape and a little bit of color. The dermatologist said she didnt think it is melanoma but she wants it removed for piece of mind. I find my results out of Tuesday but I AM ****TING MYSELF. I am literally terrified. My anxiety has gone overboard and I am convinced I am going to die as the melanoma has spread all over my body, or to one part of my organs and I wont be able to go to university and I will die.
I know its like 3 days away but I am so scared..
Has anyone had a similar experience to this? Or is there anything I can do until Tuesday?

Scroll to see replies

I am currently waiting for a phonecall next week to arrange an appointment to see a dermatoloigst at hospital as my GP referred me. although I am behind you in the process I am nervous and scared about being told its a cancerous mole. Did the derm take it off the first time they saw you?

Just forget about it until then, if it is cancerous it wont have spread to your organs yet it would have had alot more changes and the doctor wouldn't have said they dont think it is.
Technically all moles are a kind of cancer in a sense, theyre just not malignant... Sorry, that probably doesn't help...

If your doctor wasn't super worried about it, and they don't appear to have rushed your sample through since its taken a while for them to get back to you, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Plus, melanoma doesn't necessarily spread that much/ rapidly :smile: Treatments as simple as spreading on a cream can be used against it, and it may be that when they took the sample they removed most of it anyway if there was anything dangerous there.

Source: relative with skin cancer
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently waiting for a phonecall next week to arrange an appointment to see a dermatoloigst at hospital as my GP referred me. although I am behind you in the process I am nervous and scared about being told its a cancerous mole. Did the derm take it off the first time they saw you?

Just forget about it until then, if it is cancerous it wont have spread to your organs yet it would have had alot more changes and the doctor wouldn't have said they dont think it is.

How did ur mole change? Its the week of my birthday so its a piss take..
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Technically all moles are a kind of cancer in a sense, theyre just not malignant... Sorry, that probably doesn't help...

If your doctor wasn't super worried about it, and they don't appear to have rushed your sample through since its taken a while for them to get back to you, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Plus, melanoma doesn't necessarily spread that much/ rapidly :smile: Treatments as simple as spreading on a cream can be used against it, and it may be that when they took the sample they removed most of it anyway if there was anything dangerous there.

Source: relative with skin cancer

the good news is that they said they were going to remove more than the mole, so a bit more skin around it. if there is anything there then maybe they got rid of everything but fingers cross theres nothing to worry about :smile:
I don't have any of those but I notice people dont think twice about walking around with exposed skin guys shirtless and women strappy tops etc. I don't like those moles in fact I don't have any really as if I do show skin usually wear sunscreen. I avoid them mainly for health reasons but also I think they are not nice to look at too.

Op don't forget we often naturally assume the worse about situations chances are you will be fine.
Original post by acharaaa
How did ur mole change? Its the week of my birthday so its a piss take..

Oh no :/ but atleast its getting sorted. My mole is on my back which is a common place for melanoma to occur especially for males, I know you can get it anywhere but there are more likely places. Its the largest mole I have on my body and it seems to have gotten darker and bigger. Its about 6mm but the border is hard to explain its like got a different coloured border around it now which my GP said she is the thing she is definitely referring me for. Its also become raised. I feel stressed because they are taking their time with it and I just want to know what we will be doing with it. Apparently its meant to be within 2 weeks the referral but mine will be no where within that time limit. My GP said around 30 days but I havent even been called to arrange it yet so I am guessing that appointment will have gone now. The waiting is the worst.
Well to ease your concern skin cancer is one of the easiest to treat and has the highest survival rate 95% I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I know its easy for me to say, try not to panic but if there were a big chance of you having melanoma, the dermatologist would have rushed your results through. You would have the results through within a day or two after your biopsy.

My partner's dad had a malignant melanoma on his arm recently. He is a builder so was working for years out in the sun so was no surprise he got it eventually. He got his biopsy on the Monday and had his results on the Wednesday as the doctor highly suspected he had it. His was quite big, the mole was about 1.5cm and despite all of that, he didn't need chemo or any more treatment at all. He just went back for more tests to make sure it hadn't spread and it turned out they cut all of it away and caught it early and now he just gets yearly checks to make sure no other moles have turned cancerous.

I would be panicking too. I'm the sort of person that assumes they are having a stroke when they just have a tension headache. Best of luck with your results.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Oh no :/ but atleast its getting sorted. My mole is on my back which is a common place for melanoma to occur especially for males, I know you can get it anywhere but there are more likely places. Its the largest mole I have on my body and it seems to have gotten darker and bigger. Its about 6mm but the border is hard to explain its like got a different coloured border around it now which my GP said she is the thing she is definitely referring me for. Its also become raised. I feel stressed because they are taking their time with it and I just want to know what we will be doing with it. Apparently its meant to be within 2 weeks the referral but mine will be no where within that time limit. My GP said around 30 days but I havent even been called to arrange it yet so I am guessing that appointment will have gone now. The waiting is the worst.

I know exactly how you feel, it took about three weeks for me to be referred to a dermatologist.. scariest moment of my life. I was told that a few weeks doesnt make a difference so try not to worry about it. if you cant control it then theres no point worrying about it. I know,easier said then done. Its all i have been thinking about for the last two weeks.. Im so scared they are gonna say it is cancerous but i know that if it is then the doctors can get rid of all of it. Dont google anything because it makes everything ten times worse. My dermatologist also said that moles sometimes change as we age, have you been sunburnt on your back? Stay strong. You got this.
Reply 10
Original post by Spock's Socks
I know its easy for me to say, try not to panic but if there were a big chance of you having melanoma, the dermatologist would have rushed your results through. You would have the results through within a day or two after your biopsy.

My partner's dad had a malignant melanoma on his arm recently. He is a builder so was working for years out in the sun so was no surprise he got it eventually. He got his biopsy on the Monday and had his results on the Wednesday as the doctor highly suspected he had it. His was quite big, the mole was about 1.5cm and despite all of that, he didn't need chemo or any more treatment at all. He just went back for more tests to make sure it hadn't spread and it turned out they cut all of it away and caught it early and now he just gets yearly checks to make sure no other moles have turned cancerous.

I would be panicking too. I'm the sort of person that assumes they are having a stroke when they just have a tension headache. Best of luck with your results.
Posted from TSR Mobile

This actually relieved my mind, thank you :smile: i hope he is well. I will keep you posted :smile:
I know exactly how you feel, it took about three weeks for me to be referred to a dermatologist.. scariest moment of my life. I was told that a few weeks doesnt make a difference so try not to worry about it. if you cant control it then theres no point worrying about it. I know,easier said then done. Its all i have been thinking about for the last two weeks.. Im so scared they are gonna say it is cancerous but i know that if it is then the doctors can get rid of all of it. Dont google anything because it makes everything ten times worse. My dermatologist also said that moles sometimes change as we age, have you been sunburnt on your back? Stay strong. You got this.

Right okay, I am hoping its before the 7th sept but I doubt it now, I will just have to have the day off to go. Aw, hope you are okay and its all okay. I can imagine I have been thinking about it alot but I try to just think about other things until the time comes to think about it when I know of what is going to happen. If it is cancerous then it will be gone and you will be checked and monitored. Too late I have been googling and yes it makes it so much worse :/ yes I have been sunburnt on my back. Thank you! Good luck
Reply 12
Right okay, I am hoping its before the 7th sept but I doubt it now, I will just have to have the day off to go. Aw, hope you are okay and its all okay. I can imagine I have been thinking about it alot but I try to just think about other things until the time comes to think about it when I know of what is going to happen. If it is cancerous then it will be gone and you will be checked and monitored. Too late I have been googling and yes it makes it so much worse :/ yes I have been sunburnt on my back. Thank you! Good luck

if you ever need to talk you can message me, day or night :smile: i know you will be fine.
if you ever need to talk you can message me, day or night :smile: i know you will be fine.

Thank you! :smile: so much. I will message you when I get further into the process of it all. You too, good luck
Reply 14
Hey everyone, thank you for your support :smile: I am pleased to announce that my mole is benign, non-cancerous. I am so happy and relieved. I was worrying so much and was convinced that it was melanoma!
Hey everyone, thank you for your support :smile: I am pleased to announce that my mole is benign, non-cancerous. I am so happy and relieved. I was worrying so much and was convinced that it was melanoma!

For future reference this is a really good thing to check before getting worried:

Aw :smile: pleased for you! You can be relaxed now
Reply 17
Original post by Comeback
For future reference this is a really good thing to check before getting worried:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Aw :smile: pleased for you! You can be relaxed now

Thank you :smile: How are you holding up?
Thank you :smile: How are you holding up?

I am okay thanks, still haven't had my appointment through yet. It will be a week tomorrow that I saw my GP. Just waiting... patiently haha

Quick Reply

Latest