The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What extracurriculars do the London School of Economics like?

Hi I am 14 years old and living in Scotland, I either want to do Accounting and Finance or Modern Languages at university but I'm not sure yet. If I did accounting and finance my preferred university would be the London School of Economics but from their website they say they want 'students who can also show keen interest in activities outside of their academic life'. The only extracurricular I do is the pupil council at school, do you think the lse would like it if I did evening courses at the City of Glasgow college where I live because you can do certain courses under 16 (i would still be going to school as it is in the evening) and they offer a college certificate in book-keeping, college certificate in computerised accounting and college certificate in financial accounting (each takes 3 months) or do you think doing sports to demonstrate motivation and teamwork or doing volunteering would be more useful. Any other suggestions? not Duke of Edinburgh because I quit.
You do realise you apply for 5 different Uni courses don't you? So you don't write one Personal Statement aimed at just one.

Start by reading all the info here about How to write a Personal Statement ............... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15883-writing-your-personal-statement
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
You do realise you apply for 5 different Uni courses don't you? So you don't write one Personal Statement aimed at just one.

Start by reading all the info here about How to write a Personal Statement ............... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15883-writing-your-personal-statement

I've heard that its best to stick to one course/subject, because it shows more dedication.
Original post by MJlover
I've heard that its best to stick to one course/subject, because it shows more dedication.

She means 5 courses all at different unis, so not to write a ps aimed just at LSE. You're quite right about sticking to one course.
Original post by Sophie507
Hi I am 14 years old.... but I'm not sure yet. If I did accounting and finance my preferred university would be the London School of Economics but from their website they say they want 'students who can also show keen interest in activities outside of their academic life'. The only extracurricular I do is the pupil council at school, do you think the lse would like it if I did evening courses at the City of Glasgow college where I live because you can do certain courses under 16 (i would still be going to school as it is in the evening) and they offer a college certificate in book-keeping, college certificate in computerised accounting and college certificate in financial accounting (each takes 3 months)

or do you think doing sports to demonstrate motivation and teamwork or doing volunteering would be more useful. Any other suggestions? not Duke of Edinburgh because I quit.

"show a keen interest" - this means demonstrate through your personal statement on your UCAS application.

- all universities want you to show a keen interest in your subject, particularly as studied at university, so taking these college courses would probably not give your personal statement an edge, but you are only 14 and if you feel the courses would give you an insight into finance, go for it;

- showing a keen interest in extra-curriculars is not demanded by all universities, usually the balance on the personal statement should be heavily weighted towards your academic interests. LSE say they expect approximately 25% of the personal statement to be on extra-curriculars, but this is quite a high percentage compared to most universities (for LSE's advice, see
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/generalInformation.aspx )

As you say, LSE (as for many other unis too) are looking for applicants who can show motivation and teamwork, and this can be gained through any of sports, music, drama, volunteering, work experience etc - but it will need to be something you enjoy doing, or your motivation will quickly flag. Although you are not continuing with DoE, there are lists of suitable activities on their website in both hobbies and volunteering, so pick a couple and see how you get on, and change to something else if it doesn't suit you. When you find something you enjoy, stick with it and keep brief logs so that you have something to write about in three years' time.

Good luck!
I would suggest you do something unrelated to Accounting as your extra-curricular as it shows you have other interests aside from school, though what you mentioned may be good to show how you've furthered your interest in Accounting related areas, but I wouldn't put it down as an extra-curricular. As Holmstock said, pick something you enjoy and write about that in your personal statement as it makes you more interesting. In my A&F personal statement, I talked about my hobbies of running and singing, which was clearly adequate as I was given an offer, so don't feel like you need to do something too academic. Sports would be a good route to go down if it's something you're interested in. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by yayifications
I would suggest you do something unrelated to Accounting as your extra-curricular as it shows you have other interests aside from school, though what you mentioned may be good to show how you've furthered your interest in Accounting related areas, but I wouldn't put it down as an extra-curricular. As Holmstock said, pick something you enjoy and write about that in your personal statement as it makes you more interesting. In my A&F personal statement, I talked about my hobbies of running and singing, which was clearly adequate as I was given an offer, so don't feel like you need to do something too academic. Sports would be a good route to go down if it's something you're interested in. Good luck!

I used to be a member of a running club and may join again, but did you take part in cross country and track races or was it just a hobby that you did in your free time? and if you did compete in races do you think the lse prefer people who have won medals or is it ok to just take part even if you don't do amazing?
Original post by Sophie507
I used to be a member of a running club and may join again, but did you take part in cross country and track races or was it just a hobby that you did in your free time? and if you did compete in races do you think the lse prefer people who have won medals or is it ok to just take part even if you don't do amazing?

Oh god no I was not competitive or anywhere even near decent, but I did do it to increase my fitness and was disciplined with it, so I talked about that and how it taught me perseverance since I went from not being able to run for 30 seconds (very unfit and asthmatic) to being able to (eventually) run 5k. I did do some 5k runs for charities though, so I guess that helped. I doubt they'd care if you won medals or not since I hadn't. If you can talk about life skills you've learnt from your hobbies, it doesn't really matter what the actual hobby is as long as it's had a positive effect on you.
Reply 8
Original post by yayifications
Oh god no I was not competitive or anywhere even near decent, but I did do it to increase my fitness and was disciplined with it, so I talked about that and how it taught me perseverance since I went from not being able to run for 30 seconds (very unfit and asthmatic) to being able to (eventually) run 5k. I did do some 5k runs for charities though, so I guess that helped. I doubt they'd care if you won medals or not since I hadn't. If you can talk about life skills you've learnt from your hobbies, it doesn't really matter what the actual hobby is as long as it's had a positive effect on you.

Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply