The Student Room Group

History or Geography as third A level for Econ degree

What's up guys

For a levels I will be taking Maths, Econ and either History/Geography

Trying to work out which I should take as I'm aiming for an Econ degree at a top RG uni. Btw assume that I am equally competent at both subjects :smile:

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography will go well with those choices. It also has some aspects of economics related to it which is a plus.
Reply 2
Either is fine. If you want to do PPE history might be marginally better.

What about further maths? That would be ideal for schools like LSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Kash24411
Geography will go well with those choices. It also has some aspects of economics related to it which is a plus.

However I heard Unis like essay-based subjects to show writing ability, so history would be stronger in that sense maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
However I heard Unis like essay-based subjects to show writing ability, so history would be stronger in that sense maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geography is an essay based subject.
I did Econ, Geog and History for A-levels and hopefully going to Nottingham to study econ at degree level.

I'd say Geog is better in terms of relevance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's up guys

Trying to work out which I should take as I'm aiming for an Econ degree at a top RG uni. Btw assume that I am equally competent at both subjects :smile:

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

top RG? how about take FM to really improve your chances. i was reluctant at first to do FM in year 12 but AS is very easy and you're probably better at maths than you think - it just requires practice.

as for history or geography, i would recommend history - more interesting and rigorous. it really comes down to sentiments though so pick your preferred choice/the one you think you'll do best in
Reply 7
What's up guys

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

History, easy answer

I did my personal study on the birth of Keynesian economics. Unis love that type of thing.

Plus geography has a bit of a reputation of being an easy subject.
geog is way easier, either would be ok but some unis might like history more cos its more traditionally essay based and some like to see a mixture of essay and numbers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending