The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to get into fashion styling without going to uni?

I really want to have a career in fashion styling/personal styling but I can't go to university to study it as I did not do fashion or textiles at GCSE or A-level, many people have suggested that the best way is to get a job in/around styling but there are very little vacancies near me and most need experience in styling already
Original post by Pj97
I really want to have a career in fashion styling/personal styling but I can't go to university to study it as I did not do fashion or textiles at GCSE or A-level, many people have suggested that the best way is to get a job in/around styling but there are very little vacancies near me and most need experience in styling already

A foundation degree could help, it could be a one year course like we do where you get a taste of styling/promotion or a short course...it gives you a chance to network with people and gain some inside knowledge then use that to find an internship or junior/assistant stylist role.Alternatively, finding a stylist(s) to do work experience may be the best bet if you don't want to go down the education route and building up yourself from there alongside a blog with your interests and looks.

Good luck :smile:

Bee :h:
Reply 2
You don't need textiles to apply. Stylists don't make clothes. Do you have art? Even then, its not necessary.

My sister (whose account I stole, if you'd like to look at my old posts) is starting at LCF this year having studied geology, maths & geography (or something similar, i can't remember).

I think you'd be best placed getting a retail job tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by Ravensbourne
A foundation degree could help, it could be a one year course like we do where you get a taste of styling/promotion or a short course...it gives you a chance to network with people and gain some inside knowledge then use that to find an internship or junior/assistant stylist role.Alternatively, finding a stylist(s) to do work experience may be the best bet if you don't want to go down the education route and building up yourself from there alongside a blog with your interests and looks.

Good luck :smile:

Bee :h:

Hi, I have been looking at one year course like you've suggested, however some of the ones I'm interested in require a portfolio of styling work, I am also looking for experience as a stylists assistant but I'm struggling finding any near me.
Thanks for replying! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending