The Student Room Group

Deadline for applying to US Universities

When is the deadline for applying to US Universities and what is the best way?
I've heard of the common application or is there also individual university forms for different unis?
Thanks
Broad-brushing it, it'll be the 1st of January for regular decision. There are small amendments, like some universities will have the 3rd or 5th of Jan, and I've even seen 1st of Feb for one or two. But obviously, you'll need to have your necessary paperwork in due order long before (at least a week before you break up for Christmas)

The best way is the way that's required of the universities you wish to apply to. Many universities use the common and/or universal app so it's highly likely you'll need to create an account with either one. A select number of places have their own individual application system but they'll be requiring the same things from you, just in a different medium.
Reply 2
Original post by vaudevillain
Broad-brushing it, it'll be the 1st of January for regular decision. There are small amendments, like some universities will have the 3rd or 5th of Jan, and I've even seen 1st of Feb for one or two. But obviously, you'll need to have your necessary paperwork in due order long before (at least a week before you break up for Christmas)

Thanks for the reply, would that be 1st January 2016 deadline for 2016 start or 2017 start?
Reply 3
Every college sets its own deadlines. You should check each college's website for the application deadline(s) since they vary quite a bit, typically from around December 31 to February 15. Some colleges have rolling admissions, which means that they make decisions as they receive applications, in which case it's best to apply early. Also note that some colleges require you to apply early (i.e. by a particular deadline) in order to qualify for their major merit scholarships.

Keep in mind that it can take a while for some materials (e.g. test scores) to reach colleges, so make sure everything gets submitted on time. For example, some colleges will accept January SAT scores, whereas others cut off at November or December.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JW22
Thanks for the reply, would that be 1st January 2016 deadline for 2016 start or 2017 start?

2016 start

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending