The Student Room Group

Am I spoilt?

Hey, I'm a 16 year old schoolgirl, and I just wanted your opinion on whether you think i'm spoilt or not. I worry about this a lot and feel guilty sometimes, though I do obey my parents and make sure to save money wherever I can (e.g. switch off lights). Typically I am the kind of person who works very hard at school and helps out at home, however I do live in a fairly big house and have many lovely things. We do not go on holiday ever though because we can not get away from the family business. I do not get pocket money and I don't work because I want school to be my first priority. I'm very grateful for the things I have, i'll tell you a bit more about the things I have so you can understand my lifestyle better.

Electronics I own: 42 inch tv (I paid for half the money for this), sony xperia phone, ipod touch 3rd generation, ipod shuffle 2nd generation, hp laptop, Nintendo wii which is shared with the whole family with games and dr dre beats headphones.

All of my electronics were for either my Christmas or birthday apart from the ipod shuffle and the ipod touch and I've had most of these for years apart from the headphones which were for my birthday last month. My clothes are all from New Look, Primark, H&M and a bit from Topshop. I have a medium sized wardrobe, and even though I only have 4 pairs of shoes, they are good quality shoes. Makeup I own is drugstore only and I don't have much of it.

So what would you say, do I seem like a spoilt child to you? I wanted to buy a new ipad to replace my ipod touch which doesn't work very well which is 3 years old, but I feel guilty asking for one.

Also I do kickboxing once and sometimes twice a week where my parents pay for my lessons. It's the only extra curriculum activity I do.

PS for my 10th birthday we adopted two adorable bunnies from the RSPCA and I love them more than my materialistic things :smile: *ill try to insert a cute picture*
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think spoilt is more about having things and not being grateful, demanding new stuff and being angry if you don't get it. You don't sound like that at all. People may be rude because they are jealous of the things that you have but you shouldn't feel guilty for it. :smile:
I agree with the comment above; you're clearly appreciative of the things you have.
Original post by Hevachan
I think spoilt is more about having things and not being grateful, demanding new stuff and being angry if you don't get it. You don't sound like that at all. People may be rude because they are jealous of the things that you have but you shouldn't feel guilty for it. :smile:

+1 for it being a nice way to look at it

subsequent +1 for OP being appreciative
No. You're not spoilt. You also seem happy as a person even though you have many materialistic goods so congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, people live within their means and your means are greater than most people it sounds like. If you've got the money to have all this and you enjoy it, don't feel guilty :biggrin: And you don't sound ungrateful or expectant or anything either
The mere fact you're questioning it is indicative that you are not :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that you care and are conscious about the worth of money shows you're not spoilt at all!
Put it this way: someone who is actually spoilt would never worry whether they are spoilt. It doesn't occur to them. So I think you're in the clear OP.
I've seen real spoilt.

Trust me, you're not spoilt.
Don't worry, you're not spoilt. Just get your mind away from this mentality.
Original post by desdemonata

Out of curiosity: is that really your head's side view in your TSR Profile Picture?
Original post by Davalla
Out of curiosity: is that really your head's side view in your TSR Profile Picture?

Sexy, am I right :sexface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Sexy, am I right :sexface:

I would have said something more subtle like 'lovely' or 'nice'. :yy:
Original post by Davalla
I would have said something more subtle like 'lovely' or 'nice'. :yy:

Or you could record a new single for her. :smile:
Original post by Davalla

Yeah, that's me :smile: My profile picture matches.
I think the fact that you are asking show's that you are not a spoilt personality and you appreciate what you have!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hevachan

Okay thank-you, my parents always ask me what I would like for Christmas/birthday and I never have anything in mind so I ask for electronics because they're cool. They also asked for my gcse results day if I wanted anything (my brother got £20 for each A* and £10 for each A) and I had no idea so we're having a family meal out because it's also my parents 27th wedding anniversary haha. Nobody calls me spoilt irl though which is nice :smile:
Original post by Moonstruck16
No. You're not spoilt. You also seem happy as a person even though you have many materialistic goods so congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, I'm much happier with friends and family than on my own with electronics :smile:
Original post by kittykatieboo
Hey, I'm a 16 year old schoolgirl, and I just wanted your opinion on whether you think i'm spoilt or not. I worry about this a lot and feel guilty sometimes, though I do obey my parents and make sure to save money wherever I can (e.g. switch off lights). Typically I am the kind of person who works very hard at school and helps out at home, however I do live in a fairly big house and have many lovely things. We do not go on holiday ever though because we can not get away from the family business. I do not get pocket money and I don't work because I want school to be my first priority. I'm very grateful for the things I have, i'll tell you a bit more about the things I have so you can understand my lifestyle better.

Electronics I own: 42 inch tv (I paid for half the money for this), sony xperia phone, ipod touch 3rd generation, ipod shuffle 2nd generation, hp laptop, Nintendo wii which is shared with the whole family with games and dr dre beats headphones.

All of my electronics were for either my Christmas or birthday apart from the ipod shuffle and the ipod touch and I've had most of these for years apart from the headphones which were for my birthday last month. My clothes are all from New Look, Primark, H&M and a bit from Topshop. I have a medium sized wardrobe, and even though I only have 4 pairs of shoes, they are good quality shoes. Makeup I own is drugstore only and I don't have much of it.

So what would you say, do I seem like a spoilt child to you? I wanted to buy a new ipad to replace my ipod touch which doesn't work very well which is 3 years old, but I feel guilty asking for one.

Also I do kickboxing once and sometimes twice a week where my parents pay for my lessons. It's the only extra curriculum activity I do.

I don't think you're spoilt at all lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending