The Student Room Group

Computer science graduate from university in Pakistan

Hi guys,

Hope every one is doing well. Quick question, my cousin from pakistan has graduated from Punjab university in computer science and programming Pakistan. He has also got a couple of years work experience . He is well rounded and enjoys this side of work, he is supposedly earning in pounds sat in Pakistan.

Now he is looking to get married in the UK so he won't have a problem in terms of indefinite leave. He however does not possess a local English accent. Would this be a problem for him to adjust?

My main question is what will he be earning after he gets here In a job ? Is there a demand ?
Are UK graduates not already competitive enough in the industry? What will his salary be starring before tax and how many years will it take him to progress further? Bearing in mind he won't be employed by Google or likewise?

Please let me know. As I prefer he didn't come here. :tongue:
Reply 1
Bump bump.
Reply 2
Any one to answer who is in the technology field of things
Well you haven't said what he actually does within IT so I can say with confidence that he would earn between 10k and 500k. There may be some demand for his skills, if he has any, and it will take an indeterminate amount of time to progress to a more senior role in whatever it is he intends to do.

No one really cares about accents, at least not so much as whether someone has the legal right to come and work in the UK. Not everyone offers sponsorship for visas etc.
Original post by Potally_Tissed

No one really cares about accents, at least not so much as whether someone has the legal right to come and work in the UK. Not everyone offers sponsorship for visas etc.

I wouldn't go that far. I am generally pretty good at tuning into accents, but after attempting to manage a team of offshore folks in India and also having to work with a couple of chaps from Pakistan last year, I really struggled to hold conversations. I just could not decipher what was being said, much to my embarrassment.
Original post by ByEeek
I wouldn't go that far. I am generally pretty good at tuning into accents, but after attempting to manage a team of offshore folks in India and also having to work with a couple of chaps from Pakistan last year, I really struggled to hold conversations. I just could not decipher what was being said, much to my embarrassment.

Ok, within the bounds of actually being able to hold a conversation, no one cares too much about accents. But then if no one can tell what he's saying then he'd never get through an interview anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Ok, within the bounds of actually being able to hold a conversation, no one cares too much about accents. But then if no one can tell what he's saying then he'd never get through an interview anyway.

well he has studied a masters in computer science so,im pretty sure he can hold a decent conversation. Looking at his profile on linked in he looks pretty clued.

He also has experience in working for companies.
Below is the expeience he has listed.

Software Eng.
Virtual Force
August 2013 Present (2 years 1 month)
Working on various applications including eCommerce , API's , social media portals and etc.

Software Eng.
Nextbridge
February 2012 January 2013 (1 year)
My responsibilities were front end development, back end development , configuring deployment stacks, monitoring and maintaining the following applications meeting king ( https://app.meetingking.com/auth/login ) , orthomind application and API's for mobile devices ( https://www.orthomind.com/l ) , MVP Links ( http://www.mvplink.com/ ) and other small projects.

Below are his skills.

MySQL

Ruby on Rails

C++

Java

JSON

HTML

AJAX

C

CSS

Android Development
Reply 7
Original post by zubz91
Hi guys,

Hope every one is doing well. Quick question, my cousin from pakistan has graduated from Punjab university in computer science and programming Pakistan. He has also got a couple of years work experience . He is well rounded and enjoys this side of work, he is supposedly earning in pounds sat in Pakistan.

Now he is looking to get married in the UK so he won't have a problem in terms of indefinite leave. He however does not possess a local English accent. Would this be a problem for him to adjust?

My main question is what will he be earning after he gets here In a job ? Is there a demand ?
Are UK graduates not already competitive enough in the industry? What will his salary be starring before tax and how many years will it take him to progress further? Bearing in mind he won't be employed by Google or likewise?

Please let me know. As I prefer he didn't come here. :tongue:

To be honest, I reckon he'd be better off staying in Pakistan and doing freelance work on Elance or Odesk, like you said he's 'earning in pounds' I assume that's what he's already doing. The pay rates for Pakistani developers there is like £30/hour which is more than you'd earn as a graduate in the UK

But if he's certain on coming then it won't be easy, that's for sure. Competition is very fierce, I'm a final year Software Engineering student and I've spoken to graduates who have had to make hundreds of applications, then attend like 20-40 interviews and after two months of searching high and low they were lucky to land a job that pays £30,000/year and this is in London, where the cost of Living is uber high, they can barely have fun or go out because 90% of their income just pays the bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending