The Student Room Group

HELP!!!!!!!!

I've had 1 1hr lesson and 2 1 1/2hr lessons. My first hr lesson I had to change driving school as the car was too big for me!!! (embarrassing I know). I found a new driving school and this is where I've done my 2 1 1/2hr lessons. It was all going well until last week when I was going out on junctions and doing left and right turns. I got to the end of the road and didn't break enough. We then went down the road and he got me to turn into a road but there was a parked car on my side of the road and a van coming the other side so I panicked and the instructor didn't seem happy. Do I carry on with him (seeing as though I've paid £50 for the first 5 hours) or try and get a refund and go elsewhere??
Don't worry, you will make loads of mistakes when learning to drive, I doubt anyone has had a perfect set of lessons! I honestly cannot count the number of times my driving instructor had to brake for me or adjust my steering so I didn't drift into oncoming traffic😂. Definitely don't change driving instructor because you are embarrassed that you aren't driving perfectly, everyone is in this position while learning and, if he is an experienced teacher, he is likely to have seen it all before (and I doubt you are the worst student he has had). However if you feel that he is being impatient or the chemistry isn't right then maybe look elsewhere. You will learn faster with someone who has time to work through your mistakes with you! I started enjoying my lessons much more when I relaxed and realised that my instructor was there to help me and nothing else. Good luck with your lessons😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stefanielouisexx
I've had 1 1hr lesson and 2 1 1/2hr lessons. My first hr lesson I had to change driving school as the car was too big for me!!! (embarrassing I know). I found a new driving school and this is where I've done my 2 1 1/2hr lessons. It was all going well until last week when I was going out on junctions and doing left and right turns. I got to the end of the road and didn't break enough. We then went down the road and he got me to turn into a road but there was a parked car on my side of the road and a van coming the other side so I panicked and the instructor didn't seem happy. Do I carry on with him (seeing as though I've paid £50 for the first 5 hours) or try and get a refund and go elsewhere??

Of course you carry on.
You don't just keep changing schools because you made a mistake.
You are LEARNING to drive, you're allowed to make mistakes. Trust me, the driver instructor has probably been in worst situations. Don't worry about what he thinks, he is there to help you and teach you. We all make mistakes when learning to drive. You carry on with him!
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
Don't worry, you will make loads of mistakes when learning to drive, I doubt anyone has had a perfect set of lessons! I honestly cannot count the number of times my driving instructor had to brake for me or adjust my steering so I didn't drift into oncoming traffic😂. Definitely don't change driving instructor because you are embarrassed that you aren't driving perfectly, everyone is in this position while learning and, if he is an experienced teacher, he is likely to have seen it all before (and I doubt you are the worst student he has had). However if you feel that he is being impatient or the chemistry isn't right then maybe look elsewhere. You will learn faster with someone who has time to work through your mistakes with you! I started enjoying my lessons much more when I relaxed and realised that my instructor was there to help me and nothing else. Good luck with your lessons😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

This has cheered me up, I just felt so embarrassed and feel like he's annoyed but like you say, he's probably used to it😁 thank you!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Of course you carry on.
You don't just keep changing schools because you made a mistake.
You are LEARNING to drive, you're allowed to make mistakes. Trust me, the driver instructor has probably been in worst situations. Don't worry about what he thinks, he is there to help you and teach you. We all make mistakes when learning to drive. You carry on with him!

I agree, thank you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's fine, just keep going. Remember to take on board anything they say and to ask questions to clarify (I did this mostly at the end of the lesson/between driving, not whilst driving). Things progress better when you can say what you're struggling with and your instructor can make constructive criticism - so you need to talk to each other. I'd suggest switching instructor if they criticize without being constructive, if they don't explain where you've gone wrong or offer plans for improvements or if they don't have any patience. You say your instructor ''didn't seem happy'' - if they seemed annoyed but didn't explain why then they're not a very good instructor, but if they explained what you did wrong and how to improve it then that's fine, even better if they make you go back and do it again!

My instructor used to get frustrated when I made mistakes but that was because he knew I should know better because he taught me very well - and he never just got frustrated without explaining. He'd tell me my mistake, ask me what I should have done (99% of the time I knew what I'd done wrong), ask me how I thought I could improve/what I should have done and then if he agreed with me he'd tell me to go back and do it again properly. He never just let me do it once and then said I was done. That was his method and I passed first time. Some lessons I did reverse around a corner about 20 times, some lesson he made me do hill starts for a whole hour, some days I spent the whole two hours on a particular roundabout and we did a whole lesson around exiting the test center because obviously I needed to get that right on the day of my test and it was a busy junction.

He just made me do things again and again until I didn't make a mistake. At the time it might feel like punishment but it's not - you're paying someone to make sure that you are safe to drive on your own and they ought to be rigorous and ensure that you feel confident and remember things. You need someone who explains your mistakes and is thorough in correcting you - if they don't do that then you're wasting your money.
Its normal to be unsure in road situations and 'meet' scenarios on the road! You are a learner driver after all and therefore not everything will be plain sailing! Good luck with the lessons :smile:
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It's fine, just keep going. Remember to take on board anything they say and to ask questions to clarify (I did this mostly at the end of the lesson/between driving, not whilst driving). Things progress better when you can say what you're struggling with and your instructor can make constructive criticism - so you need to talk to each other. I'd suggest switching instructor if they criticize without being constructive, if they don't explain where you've gone wrong or offer plans for improvements or if they don't have any patience. You say your instructor ''didn't seem happy'' - if they seemed annoyed but didn't explain why then they're not a very good instructor, but if they explained what you did wrong and how to improve it then that's fine, even better if they make you go back and do it again!

My instructor used to get frustrated when I made mistakes but that was because he knew I should know better because he taught me very well - and he never just got frustrated without explaining. He'd tell me my mistake, ask me what I should have done (99% of the time I knew what I'd done wrong), ask me how I thought I could improve/what I should have done and then if he agreed with me he'd tell me to go back and do it again properly. He never just let me do it once and then said I was done. That was his method and I passed first time. Some lessons I did reverse around a corner about 20 times, some lesson he made me do hill starts for a whole hour, some days I spent the whole two hours on a particular roundabout and we did a whole lesson around exiting the test center because obviously I needed to get that right on the day of my test and it was a busy junction.

He just made me do things again and again until I didn't make a mistake. At the time it might feel like punishment but it's not - you're paying someone to make sure that you are safe to drive on your own and they ought to be rigorous and ensure that you feel confident and remember things. You need someone who explains your mistakes and is thorough in correcting you - if they don't do that then you're wasting your money.

This has helped me a lot, I'm definitely going to stick with him, he's lovely, I suppose I just panicked what with it being my first time on a main road. Thank you for your advice, it's helped😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James A
Its normal to be unsure in road situations and 'meet' scenarios on the road! You are a learner driver after all and therefore not everything will be plain sailing! Good luck with the lessons :smile:

Thank you for the vote of confidence haha! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that you or the instructor is bad... driving is really hard and stressful :') I made so many mistakes, I'd definitely be dead if my teacher didn't have breaks on his side.. it's what learning is about
Original post by Hevachan
It's not that you or the instructor is bad... driving is really hard and stressful :') I made so many mistakes, I'd definitely be dead if my teacher didn't have breaks on his side.. it's what learning is about

Haha I know the feeling, the controls on his side are a godsend lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending