The Student Room Group

RAF medical

hello, I've asked a friend who is in the RAF this and he said I should be okay but I'm still worried. When I was around 13/14 I took an overdose due to bullying, I was then referred to counselling and within 6 months they were happy with my progress and I haven't had an issue with self harming of any type since. On the medically it's states 'more than one event of self harming of any type' since I've only done it once I thought it might be okay. I am now 18 and I'm due to do a medical and I was wondering whether I could still pass my medical or whether they'll automatically disqualify me? If I tell them how much I've progressed since or get a letter from my gp to say there hasn't been any more incidents would that help my case?

Thank you
Original post by Jodieleigh11
hello, I've asked a friend who is in the RAF this and he said I should be okay but I'm still worried. When I was around 13/14 I took an overdose due to bullying, I was then referred to counselling and within 6 months they were happy with my progress and I haven't had an issue with self harming of any type since. On the medically it's states 'more than one event of self harming of any type' since I've only done it once I thought it might be okay. I am now 18 and I'm due to do a medical and I was wondering whether I could still pass my medical or whether they'll automatically disqualify me? If I tell them how much I've progressed since or get a letter from my gp to say there hasn't been any more incidents would that help my case?

Thank you

Unfortunately from my experience of applicants I would guess this may be a bar to your service, the armed forces have a very stringent view on mental health issues of any kind.

No-one here can give you the answer until you have your medical, each case is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest