The Student Room Group

Doing foreign languages at A-level.

Hi all,

I have just finished Spanish GCSE, and I will be starting Spanish A-level in September - obviously, I have knowledge about the Spanish language - pronunciation, the culture and a fair bit of grammar; however, the college which I have applied for, I have just noticed that ANYBODY can do Italian with a B in any other foreign language at GCSE.

I was thinking: do you think that it will be worthwhile me taking on-board Italian as well as Spanish - or do you think it will be too much added stress?

These are the A-levels that I am considering - and I would swap Government & Politics for Italian (if I decided to take it).

SPANISH
HISTORY
ENGLISH LITERATURE
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS

Thank you in advance for your replies, and kind regards.
I wouldn't do Italian for the sake of it. In my experience to actually make learning a language worth it you have to be keen enough on it to keep it up.

What are you thinking of doing post A-levels?
Reply 2
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

I have just finished Spanish GCSE, and I will be starting Spanish A-level in September - obviously, I have knowledge about the Spanish language - pronunciation, the culture and a fair bit of grammar; however, the college which I have applied for, I have just noticed that ANYBODY can do Italian with a B in any other foreign language at GCSE.

I was thinking: do you think that it will be worthwhile me taking on-board Italian as well as Spanish - or do you think it will be too much added stress?

These are the A-levels that I am considering - and I would swap Government & Politics for Italian (if I decided to take it).

SPANISH
HISTORY
ENGLISH LITERATURE
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS

It might be a good idea to pick Italian :smile: I'm doing both Spanish and German and what's great about doing two languages is that the exams are very similar so you can sort of revise for both at once... You can plan an essay and the plan for the essay will be useful for both of your languages. You'll also probably be covering the same topics in both languages, so if you learn any facts/statistics to back up your points in essays, again they'll be useful in both languages. In addition for my speaking exams I prepared the same topic for both languages, which meant it was easier for me to remember them. I did Spanish and Italian at GCSE and would have loved the opportunity to study Italian at A-level. There is the risk of confusing vocabulary as Spanish and Italian can be quite similar, however I think your knowledge of Spanish will help you grasp the basics of Italian. I am kind of biased though as I want to study languages at uni and I originally started government and politics but dropped it in the first week and switched to chemistry because I personally didn't enjoy it at all :wink:
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

SPANISH
HISTORY
ENGLISH LITERATURE
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS

I was in a similar position as the college I went to offered ab-initio Italian (don't suppose you're looking at Greenhead? :tongue:)
I took French, German, Italian and Art at AS Level, then in Year 13 i did A Level French, German, Italian and Maths.

I loved Italian and really wanted to continue it as uni, but as I was set on doing 3 languages including Japanese my options were somewhat limited :tongue:
It's a beautiful language - grammatically I found it really nice as so close to French, but pronunciation is so much nicer as it's much more phonetic (which i've heard Spanish is?). So I'd definitely agree with the other poster that Italian should come easy to you if you're doing Spanish too.

And I can't see that it would disadvantage you later on - except perhaps if you were looking at a uni degree in Politics. If that is the case, then it could be good to look at a couple of uni entry requirements. Generally, humanities courses are fairly flexible. Politics at Newcastle for example says,

At least one A level from a social science or humanities subject such as History, Government and Politics, Geography, English or Philosophy is preferred but not required.

So you'd be well covered with History and Eng Lit.
Reply 4
Original post by susss
It might be a good idea to pick Italian :smile: I'm doing both Spanish and German and what's great about doing two languages is that the exams are very similar so you can sort of revise for both at once... You can plan an essay and the plan for the essay will be useful for both of your languages. You'll also probably be covering the same topics in both languages, so if you learn any facts/statistics to back up your points in essays, again they'll be useful in both languages. In addition for my speaking exams I prepared the same topic for both languages, which meant it was easier for me to remember them. I did Spanish and Italian at GCSE and would have loved the opportunity to study Italian at A-level. There is the risk of confusing vocabulary as Spanish and Italian can be quite similar, however I think your knowledge of Spanish will help you grasp the basics of Italian. I am kind of biased though as I want to study languages at uni and I originally started government and politics but dropped it in the first week and switched to chemistry because I personally didn't enjoy it at all :wink:

Would you be able to PM me, if it is not too much trouble?
Reply 5
Original post by sophia5892
I was in a similar position as the college I went to offered ab-initio Italian (don't suppose you're looking at Greenhead? :tongue:)
I took French, German, Italian and Art at AS Level, then in Year 13 i did A Level French, German, Italian and Maths.

I loved Italian and really wanted to continue it as uni, but as I was set on doing 3 languages including Japanese my options were somewhat limited :tongue:
It's a beautiful language - grammatically I found it really nice as so close to French, but pronunciation is so much nicer as it's much more phonetic (which i've heard Spanish is?). So I'd definitely agree with the other poster that Italian should come easy to you if you're doing Spanish too.

And I can't see that it would disadvantage you later on - except perhaps if you were looking at a uni degree in Politics. If that is the case, then it could be good to look at a couple of uni entry requirements. Generally, humanities courses are fairly flexible. Politics at Newcastle for example says,

At least one A level from a social science or humanities subject such as History, Government and Politics, Geography, English or Philosophy is preferred but not required.

Could you Pm me please.

Hey do you go to greenhead college? :wink: I'm applying there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Hey do you go to greenhead college? :wink: I'm applying there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did back in 2008 - 2010 :smile:
I've just finished doing Spanish a level and I say only stick to one. I'm actually Spanish myself and I found it quite difficult. It's extremely different to GCSE - a lot more intense. But if you think you can handle it, do both!
I did back in 2008 - 2010 :smile:

Oh nice- Huddersfield represent 😎

Which university do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Oh nice- Huddersfield represent 😎

Which university do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newcastle.... I finish my MA in..... 27 days!

Quick Reply

Latest