The Student Room Group

Which university should I go to if I attended an elite private school?

Scroll to see replies

Is it bad that I researched freshers videos for all my choices, and that was partly the basis of my decision...
Lead to me turning down UCL and Bath.
Original post by LukeTR1998
Wish I could apply to them, Exeter/Manchester are probably the best ones I plan to apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester is an excellent university.
Original post by N-R-G
Where do you want to go?

Why don't you educate yourself?

Some suggestions on TSR have been Bristol, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, UCL. It would be difficult to visit them all, maybe I can see three of them for myself.
Reply 83
Original post by joe1545
Is it bad that I researched freshers videos for all my choices, and that was partly the basis of my decision...

Why did you turn down UCL and Bath again?
Reply 84
Original post by King of the Ring
Some suggestions on TSR have been Bristol, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, UCL. It would be difficult to visit them all, maybe I can see three of them for myself.

Of all of them I'd say UCL is the most exciting.
Well if you're interested only in prestige, the list goes (in no particular order)
Oxbridge (which we're ignoring in your case)
UCL
Imperial
LSE
King's College London
Durham
Warwick
Nottingham
Bristol
Bath
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
UCL or Imperial.

Imperial does not offer all subjects.
Original post by N-R-G
Why did you turn down UCL and Bath again?

Well, UCL was way too close to home, I already live in London, so the thought of living further out of London then where I already am seemed stupid.
But then the thought of studying at home, despite having my own study area seemed worse.

And Bath because I've been told the nightlife isn't that great, and I wasn't too keen on the Campus.
Original post by Steeplechasing
Manchester is an excellent university.

I know, going there next month, but atm I'm in love with Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by N-R-G
Of all of them I'd say UCL is the most exciting.

I walked past the UCL main building a few years ago in Euston. It does seem like a cramped environment with all those students in the grounds. Haven't seen the other buildings though.
Original post by quentinhamilton
Well there are other universities with a large proportion of public school students i.e. Durham, LSE, UCL

Durham (36.6%) and UCL (34.3%). LSE has around the same as Newcastle, Exeter, (both 29-30). One uni which is much higher than one might think is Bristol which is around 40%.

What I find funny is that 2.8% are from 'private schools' at London Met. I thought it'd be 0.1% or something.
Original post by joe1545

Mate I've done that 😂😂 more so for looking forward to going there rather than basing my decision of it though! And how can UCL be bad for freshers?! It's in London!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
You mentioned you were a born and bread Boltonian in another thread.

Are you also sadistic? Do you like flaying people?

Alex Toyne will cry when the Boltonian takes away his little toy from him.
Reply 93
Original post by callum_law
Durham (36.6%) and UCL (34.3%). LSE has around the same as Newcastle, Exeter, (both 29-30). One uni which is much higher than one might think is Bristol which is around 40%.

What I find funny is that 2.8% are from 'private schools' at London Met. I thought it'd be 0.1% or something.

Thick privately educated kids have to go somewhere either that or they're hipsters.

Those percentages don't tell us where students from the best schools (and not all private schools are good) go to.
UCL, Durham, LSE are great.

I understand what you mean though. Everyone has different preferences. For me, the location's architecture and beauty is really important.
They of course do suggest certain universities, such as those in the Russell Group or in the Ivy League, but as I said earlier, not everyone is cut out for Oxbridge or Harvard.

There is a marked difference between Russell Group and the Ivy League. We have about 3 universities in the Russell Group which are Ivy League-tier.
There is a marked difference between Russell Group and the Ivy League. We have about 3 universities in the Russell Group which are Ivy League-tier.

St Andrews is not in either group.
What is the hate with private school kids? I know a few and they're all fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Andrews is not in either group.

I know it's not. What is your point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending