The Student Room Group

Are trainee Biomedical Scientist positions virtually extinct in the NHS?

I'm entering my final year of my IBMs accredited degree and I'm looking at hopefully gaining my portfolio and becoming fully qualified. However, do trainee position still exist within the NHS given their current budget crisis? Would it be better to look at other career paths?
Reply 1
Original post by SLClegg
I'm entering my final year of my IBMs accredited degree and I'm looking at hopefully gaining my portfolio and becoming fully qualified. However, do trainee position still exist within the NHS given their current budget crisis? Would it be better to look at other career paths?

Have you done any research into your career plans e.g actually googling if the trainee positions are available?
Reply 2
Of course and there aren't!
Original post by SLClegg

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde were looking for Biological Lab Assistants recently. However that's probably a bit too far for you, since the majority of TSR users are English.
Biomed and the biosciences fields as a whole sadly are drying up now. The big new thing that is doing well is engineering. Better luck next time I guess. The economy sucks.
Reply 6
You should have done the PTP. Same as biomedical science but you become registered and therefore don't need a trainee post. You go straight in as a registered bms.
I just found 2 by searching NHS jobs do they are out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Don't know where you're based, but here in South West England our labs are part privatised by the IPP (Integrated Pathology Partnership), and last I heard they're pretty desperate. Their mother company are based overseas (Portugal or something) so they sometimes take people from over there. But they sort of need all they can get right now.

If you're wondering, my mum was an Associate Practitioner not long ago, and I got this from her mainly. Not sure if this helps, especially if you're nowhere near Somerset! I'm also not sure whether they're taking trainees but it seems logical in the situation they're in. Just a thought!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending