The Student Room Group

IB students applying for Medicine 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TW5897
Trust me, man, those number are really not truly indicative. King's is extremely UKCAT heavy, the most of any UK Med school. Which is probably why they need only a 35+ in the IB to apply; they don't care about it.
Edinburgh is also known to place significant emphasis on Situational judgement, which you got a Band 2 on. People tend to apply there if they get Band 1s. But that's not the problem. The absurdly low quota is. If you really want to go there, then apply! Your UKCAT is impressive enough for just about any school. What were your A Levels/IB/Equivalent scores, or predicted?

:frown:

The problem is my parents lean towards Edinburgh over St Andrews (one of my relatives went there), and I myself have heard more about Edinburgh than St Andrews. I think this decision needs another talk with some more people.

My latest predicted was a 43. I take HL English Lit, Chem, Bio and Math (5), and SL Psychology and Chinese B.

What did you take?
Hey guys, I'm currently a Canadian student hoping to apply to Imperial's School of Medicine. I am currently take six AP's in my course load and I've finished my UKCAT (725 Band 2). How are my chances for Imperial as an international applicant (academic-wise)?
Reply 42
Original post by timothy0398
:frown:

The problem is my parents lean towards Edinburgh over St Andrews (one of my relatives went there), and I myself have heard more about Edinburgh than St Andrews. I think this decision needs another talk with some more people.

My latest predicted was a 43. I take HL English Lit, Chem, Bio and Math (5), and SL Psychology and Chinese B.

What did you take?

43 predicted is excellent. (5 in Math HL. Be proud of yourself. ;P)
HLs were Chem, Bio, Business with 667 and my SLs were English Lit, Mathematics and French with 667.

Edinburgh is preferable, of course, but there's more to consider than just where one of your relatives has gone. Personally, I'd say go for it though. Your excellent IB and UKCAT scores give you a good chance.
Original post by TW5897
43 predicted is excellent. (5 in Math HL. Be proud of yourself. ;P)
HLs were Chem, Bio, Business with 667 and my SLs were English Lit, Mathematics and French with 667.

Edinburgh is preferable, of course, but there's more to consider than just where one of your relatives has gone. Personally, I'd say go for it though. Your excellent IB and UKCAT scores give you a good chance.

One can only hope (once the application is sent in anyways).. Any advice for IB/applying in general?:smile:))

Did you apply last year? Or did you just decide to take a gap year?
Reply 44
One can only hope (once the application is sent in anyways).. Any advice for IB/applying in general?:smile:))

Did you apply last year? Or did you just decide to take a gap year?

I decided to take a gap year a long time ago. I've had health issues so I don't think I could have coped with the workload of the IB combined with university applications coupled with entrance tests, so yeah, you get the picture.

As i said before I would have loved to go to St. Andrews. But I just found out that they need a 7 in Chemistry HL, which I have a 6 in. So I'm pretty gutted. :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by kennyhahaha
Hey guys, I'm currently a Canadian student hoping to apply to Imperial's School of Medicine. I am currently take six AP's in my course load and I've finished my UKCAT (725 Band 2). How are my chances for Imperial as an international applicant (academic-wise)?

You haven't told us anything about yourself to give informed advice. Imperial doesn't require the UKCAT, they require the BMAT. Nevertheless, your UKCAT score is well above average and are above the cut offs for most universities. If you have good A levels and a strong personal statement/reference, you should apply to Imperial. Assuming, of course, that you do reasonably well on the BMAT.
Original post by TW5897
I decided to take a gap year a long time ago. I've had health issues so I don't think I could have coped with the workload of the IB combined with university applications coupled with entrance tests, so yeah, you get the picture.

As i said before I would have loved to go to St. Andrews. But I just found out that they need a 7 in Chemistry HL, which I have a 6 in. So I'm pretty gutted. :frown:

I see, I hope you're better!:smile:

If you do really well on the BMAT you could definitely still go to a top university (since its your only unknown at this point). Go for it:smile:
Reply 47
I see, I hope you're better!:smile:

If you do really well on the BMAT you could definitely still go to a top university (since its your only unknown at this point). Go for it:smile:

Thanks, buddy. I wish you the best of luck with the IB!
:biggrin:
Original post by TW5897
Thanks, buddy. I wish you the best of luck with the IB!
:biggrin:

Thanks!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending