The Student Room Group

Running the London Marathon with free flowing period..

Scroll to see replies

Periods aren't disgusting, far from it.

But the point she was trying to make was a bit unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I personally don't think there was any need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to have you back :wink:

And yes I agree witth you on that, it is disgusting ew
Reply 22
Original post by scriberg
she wasnt wearing a pad

I know :smile: my question is, as long as she doesn't sit down.. what difference does it make?
Reply 23
Haha eww! That'd be gross
Original post by Hevachan
I know :smile: my question is, as long as she doesn't sit down.. what difference does it make?

blood + sweat + bacteria = UTI

plus periods are normal, she was just attention seeking
God forbid this becomes the new trend. Walking around without wearing any tampons or pads when you're on your period.
Reply 26

But with a period pad it'd be the same, surely? :smile:
Yeah perhaps!
But with a period pad it'd be the same, surely? :smile:
Yeah perhaps!

but you'd want to change your pad ASAP! not leave it in for 4 hours when you're covered in sweat

Which would also be an issue with pads.

And she was making the point that there are women in the world that have no choice but to do that, and leave themselves with that risk.
I find it hard enough to get on with things with a nosebleed :/
Original post by minimarshmallow
Which would also be an issue with pads.

And she was making the point that there are women in the world that have no choice but to do that, and leave themselves with that risk.

but you dont leave your pad in for 4 hours when you're all sweaty from running a marathon? (well at least i hope not)

there are lots of ways of making a point, if someone told me to raise awareness about the lack of facilities 3rd world country girls have with their periods, my first idea wont be to parade around town with bloody trousers??
Reply 31
Im not liking the way society is going, its sad to see that running a marathon while your period is flowing down your legs is seen as 'wonderful' and 'liberating'.
but you dont leave your pad in for 4 hours when you're all sweaty from running a marathon? (well at least i hope not)

there are lots of ways of making a point, if someone told me to raise awareness about the lack of facilities 3rd world country girls have with their periods, my first idea wont be to parade around town with bloody trousers??

Well if I were running a marathon with a pad, I wouldn't have a choice but to leave it in for the 4+ hours I was running and then however long it took me to get to a loo afterwards...
For some women it may be the case that they had to use both a tampon and a pad - knowing they weren't going to be able to get to a loo for at least the 4 hours of running (I expect it would probably take me about 6 hours) they may need both for the flow.

Yeah, there are lots of ways of making a point, but people are talking about it, and she may have got people to sponsor her and be donating to a charity to help with sanitary protection (I would hope that she was), so she's clearly made the point.
Reply 33
Original post by saeed97
Im not liking the way society is going, its sad to see that running a marathon while your period is flowing down your legs is seen as 'wonderful' and 'liberating'.

I think breaking tabboos is wonderful and exciting no matter what they are :smile: we celebrate so many things in life, we are not limited to seeing a few things as wonderful.. we can appreciate them all together, big or small!
Original post by LostGear
Good to have you back :wink:

And yes I agree witth you on that, it is disgusting ew

Thank you :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I think breaking tabboos is wonderful and exciting no matter what they are :smile: we celebrate so many things in life, we are not limited to seeing a few things as wonderful.. we can appreciate them all together, big or small!

There is nothing to appreciate, that woman is a silly attention seeking fool.
Attention seeking.
I'm surprised she wasn't breast feeding at the same time. Double whammy. 😊
The main difference is that period blood isn't full of bad bacteria like diarrhoea is.. if it was so dirty then period pads would be dangerous.. cause at the end of the day the only difference was the risk of it being visible, it wasnt dangerous to her or anyone else's health

Is that why they to be specially disposed of then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BaconandSauce
being male I have no opinion on this other than awsome

but as we know it's us males who can't handle this natural part of womanhood

Really. I have a boyfriend (and have had a number of ex-boyfriends), have male friends, a dad, a brother, and they all seem to be fine with when periods are mentioned. When I lived at home, on our calender on the fridge, I would sometimes note the date of my next period. My dad would be fine with picking up a packet of tampons when I asked him to. I think it's a complete myth that the vast majority of blokes can't handle this natural part of womanhood. Some men can't, but they're a minority.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, it's disgusting. I'm sorry, but it's blood. Yes, nothing dirty, but have some regard for the other runners who had to watch, or ended up stepping on the trail and getting someone else's blood on their shoes. If she wants to make a point, then fine, but the woman really should try having some respect for other people.
I'd be more worried about cramping whilst running and on a period

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending