The Student Room Group

LNAT

I've booked my test day and I'm trying to figure out how to prepare for it, if I don't I'm afraid I'll get a mental block on the day and fail it :frown:
I've downloaded the software provided by the site and past papers but I don't think that will be enough...
I'm not entirely sure how they mark the papers (grades etc), what do they want me to demonstrate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Avila.C
I've booked my test day and I'm trying to figure out how to prepare for it, if I don't I'm afraid I'll get a mental block on the day and fail it :frown:
I've downloaded the software provided by the site and past papers but I don't think that will be enough...
I'm not entirely sure how they mark the papers (grades etc), what do they want me to demonstrate?

Have you read the information on the LNAT webpage?
http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Have you read the information on the LNAT webpage?
http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/

I've been reading them but I want to know how people who've taken the test prepared for it and if they did well what helped and what did not.
Hiya! I'm currently studying law at university so feel free to ask me any LNAT-related questions (or anything related to law at all). For reference, I got 35 on my LNAT and prepared using only one guide, but in all honesty I would say that the guide is no more useful than practice tests - all it did for me was get me used to the format of the assessment.

Anyway I'm not sure what you want to know exactly so I shall leave it there but any questions you have I'm happy to help :smile: good luck!
hiya im gonna apply for uni next year because i want to take a gap year should i take the lnat this year or next year
Reply 5
Original post by legallyblonde72
Hiya! I'm currently studying law at university so feel free to ask me any LNAT-related questions (or anything related to law at all). For reference, I got 35 on my LNAT and prepared using only one guide, but in all honesty I would say that the guide is no more useful than practice tests - all it did for me was get me used to the format of the assessment.

Anyway I'm not sure what you want to know exactly so I shall leave it there but any questions you have I'm happy to help :smile: good luck!

Hello! Congrats on the score and obviously studying law :smile: How did you find the LNAT? What university are you studying at?
Original post by Avila.C
Hello! Congrats on the score and obviously studying law :smile: How did you find the LNAT? What university are you studying at?

With regards to the LNAT, I found it pretty tough and came out worried that I wouldn't have met UCL's benchmark. One piece of advice I would give is to have a general knowledge of what's happening in the world, and also to think about forming an opinion on common ethical issues - this will really help you prepare for the essay questions which are just as important for many universities. Although they don't expect you to have a perfect answer or any statistics etc, they will be looking for a strongly argued answer so confident knowledge and your own opinion is key.

For the multiple choice, I would say simply do as many practice tests as you can and identify extremely early the ones you find the hardest or always get wrong - usually you can get the gist of where your mind tricks you (e.g. what to look for on the 'pick the MOST correct answer of multiple correct answers' type question) and what techniques will help you identify the right answer. There are only so many ways they can ask you something, so if you can work on identifying what each question is designed to test this will stand you in good stead. I used a preparation book for this purpose only, simply because it gave advice on how to make a good guess if you have no idea and how to logically think your way around a problem, but I wouldn't say this is at all a requirement.

Hope this helps :smile: let me know if you have any more questions!!
Reply 7

With regards to the LNAT, I found it pretty tough and came out worried that I wouldn't have met UCL's benchmark. One piece of advice I would give is to have a general knowledge of what's happening in the world, and also to think about forming an opinion on common ethical issues - this will really help you prepare for the essay questions which are just as important for many universities. Although they don't expect you to have a perfect answer or any statistics etc, they will be looking for a strongly argued answer so confident knowledge and your own opinion is key.

For the multiple choice, I would say simply do as many practice tests as you can and identify extremely early the ones you find the hardest or always get wrong - usually you can get the gist of where your mind tricks you (e.g. what to look for on the 'pick the MOST correct answer of multiple correct answers' type question) and what techniques will help you identify the right answer. There are only so many ways they can ask you something, so if you can work on identifying what each question is designed to test this will stand you in good stead. I used a preparation book for this purpose only, simply because it gave advice on how to make a good guess if you have no idea and how to logically think your way around a problem, but I wouldn't say this is at all a requirement.

Hope this helps :smile: let me know if you have any more questions!!

Do you have an idea what weight is given to the essay part of the LNAT?

Obviously, it's down to luck what you get given which strikes me as being somewhat random as far as the essay is concerned?
Reply 8
Hey! This is my first post on this thread so I have quite a few questions (sorry!). I'm going to be taking the LNAT this October and I'm preeetttyyyy nervous, the multiple choice never fails to trip me up, no matter how long I spend on it! So, I was wondering...

I've seen some people say they've used guides/books, are there any particularly good ones you'd recommend?
Would you recommend using the full allotted time for the multiple choice, or finishing early and spending more time on the essay?
Does the essay have to be balanced? Or can I do 3 adv. and 2 disadv. (for example)?
Is there any way of finding out the rough pass mark for the specific universities? I know the LNAT doesn't have it's own, but I'm pretty sure I read on the LNAT website that each university has it's own benchmark????
When do they set the LNAT questions, so I know when to realllyyyy focus on current affairs?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sophiamarni
hiya im gonna apply for uni next year because i want to take a gap year should i take the lnat this year or next year

I understand that your LNAT is only valid for that year, unless you are applying for deferred entry then you will need to sit it next year when you actually apply

Hi apart from using the online resources how else would you tackle practicing for the lnat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Avila.C

Hi, I'm also planning to book for the test, just wondering though did you apply through Pearson VUE? Im on that site and it says LNAT ID..and Im thinking of typing in my UCAS ID. help plz
Original post by sisi98
Hi, I'm also planning to book for the test, just wondering though did you apply through Pearson VUE? Im on that site and it says LNAT ID..and Im thinking of typing in my UCAS ID. help plz

No it's another account you need to make for Pearson Vue tests. Follow the steps here
http://www.lnat.ac.uk/registration/
Reply 13
Hi, new Student Room user. I'm trying to download the practice tests, but it won't let me because I think it's incompatible with my Mac. I tried downloading an app called 'the Unarchiver' for it, but so far it seems pretty useless. Anyone got any ideas?
I booked my test today!! I'm sitting it on December 18th!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ace1026
Hi, new Student Room user. I'm trying to download the practice tests, but it won't let me because I think it's incompatible with my Mac. I tried downloading an app called 'the Unarchiver' for it, but so far it seems pretty useless. Anyone got any ideas?

Yeah, the website says Windows only. I'd suggest using someone else's computer, or maybe a school one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ftahir02
I booked my test today!! I'm sitting it on December 18th!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so jealous of your prep time! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harina10
I'm so jealous of your prep time! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm so scared tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
SCARED! :frown: do not know where to start and what to do, very undecided whether tobook LNAT, should I do it even if my first choice does not want LNAT?
Reply 19
I've got my LNAT tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. I had planned on reading lots of newspapers beforehand to prepare for the essay, but I just haven't had time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending