The Student Room Group

LNAT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elles-belles
SCARED! :frown: do not know where to start and what to do, very undecided whether tobook LNAT, should I do it even if my first choice does not want LNAT?

Are the five unis you want to apply to already decided? If not, I'd take it just in case you decide to apply to one that needs it - I'd be pretty annoyed if being unable to book it prevented me from applying. Having said that, if you're 70%+ sure of the five, and they all don't need the LNAT, I wouldn't book (and pay that £50!), your mind probably won't change :biggrin:
Original post by legallyblonde72

With regards to the LNAT, I found it pretty tough and came out worried that I wouldn't have met UCL's benchmark. One piece of advice I would give is to have a general knowledge of what's happening in the world, and also to think about forming an opinion on common ethical issues - this will really help you prepare for the essay questions which are just as important for many universities. Although they don't expect you to have a perfect answer or any statistics etc, they will be looking for a strongly argued answer so confident knowledge and your own opinion is key.

For the multiple choice, I would say simply do as many practice tests as you can and identify extremely early the ones you find the hardest or always get wrong - usually you can get the gist of where your mind tricks you (e.g. what to look for on the 'pick the MOST correct answer of multiple correct answers' type question) and what techniques will help you identify the right answer. There are only so many ways they can ask you something, so if you can work on identifying what each question is designed to test this will stand you in good stead. I used a preparation book for this purpose only, simply because it gave advice on how to make a good guess if you have no idea and how to logically think your way around a problem, but I wouldn't say this is at all a requirement.

Hope this helps :smile: let me know if you have any more questions!!

Why book did you purchase for preparation? And is it easily accessible or cheap? I only ask this because I do not have unlimited resources and so my school librarian usually buys the books I need!

I have only sat one full LNAT past paper, and scored 25, the cohort for that year averaged at 17, so all things considered, I think that's a good base to start.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
Why book did you purchase for preparation? And is it easily accessible or cheap? I only ask this because I do not have unlimited resources and so my school librarian usually buys the books I need!

I have only sat on full LNAT past paper, and scored 25, the cohort for that year averaged at 17, so all things considered, I think that's a good base to start.

There is no need to purchase any books!! Just use the free practice tests that LNAT have on their website. LNAT make clear that people are simply trying to profit, I sat the LNAT without any books and scored well above average, just use their practice tests they also help you to get the feel for the test as well as the content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sewell98
There is no need to purchase any books!! Just use the free practice tests that LNAT have on their website. LNAT make clear that people are simply trying to profit, I sat the LNAT without any books and scored well above average, just use their practice tests they also help you to get the feel for the test as well as the content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you happen to know what UCL's grade bench mark is? I had asked the admissions team a few months ago, but they only responded with a non-commital response.
Original post by esj
Did you ever find out the answers to these?

Nope, not a single one! Sorry :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by esj
Did you ever find out the answers to these?

In the lnat the time is not transferable from the multiple choice section to the essay section. So even if you race onto the essay question, when you begin it you will still only be given 40mins. Hope that helps a little.
Original post by ceeva
I've got my LNAT tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. I had planned on reading lots of newspapers beforehand to prepare for the essay, but I just haven't had time!

A bit late to wish good luck :frown: but I hope it went well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Booked mine on the 8th Oct lads.

What about you guys?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

What about you guys?

Can I just ask, will you apply after the 8th then? I'm applying next year and I'm a bit confused as to when you apply!
Reply 29
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Can I just ask, will you apply after the 8th then? I'm applying next year and I'm a bit confused as to when you apply!

you apply in the year you want to send of applications for unis. so if your entry year is 2016 you do it this year before applications for unis are closed
Original post by Avila.C
you apply in the year you want to send of applications for unis. so if your entry year is 2016 you do it this year before applications for unis are closed

Yeah I understand that, I mean for the LNAT, do you apply after you have done it or apply before, do the Uni's get the results through UCAS?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Yeah I understand that, I mean for the LNAT, do you apply after you have done it or apply before, do the Uni's get the results through UCAS?

The UNis get the results from UCAS I think.
Reply 32
How much importance is placed on the LNAT?
Is three weeks enough time to prepare for my LNAT? What is the best use of my time?! Help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NOP97
How much importance is placed on the LNAT?

It's weighed up equally to GCSEs, personal statement, predicted grades etc, good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
Is three weeks enough time to prepare for my LNAT? What is the best use of my time?! Help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! My LNAT is on 8th October, so I've got under 3 weeks, eek! I think you have enough time for sure. Just make sure you do as many practice tests as you can, and catch up on current affairs. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

What about you guys?

Exactly same day - not long left!! Good luck :smile:
My test is in December and I'm just scared! How do I write a good essay
Original post by harina10
Hi! My LNAT is on 8th October, so I've got under 3 weeks, eek! I think you have enough time for sure. Just make sure you do as many practice tests as you can, and catch up on current affairs. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for reassuring me! Is that all you've done to prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
Thanks for reassuring me! Is that all you've done to prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much! My tutor gave me some good advice: this isn't a test made for you to do well in. The test is super hard but with familiarisation it becomes easier, so practice practice practice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending