The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

LGBTQ society? how is it?

Hay I'm likely going MMU this September and I'd like to meet other gay/bi guys at uni
I was thinking of joining the Lgbtq society but I'd like to know if anyone on here is in it/ was in and can tell me about. I heard that MMU is one of the best For gay students but that was on a forum from 2007 so is this still true? Also what do they do? like I know Uni of Manchester does more Bar crawlish stuff but what does MMUs do? Also is anyone else thinking of joining?
sorry if that was long winded :P
Reply 1
Original post by NerdB-Trippin'
Hay I'm likely going MMU this September and I'd like to meet other gay/bi guys at uni
I was thinking of joining the Lgbtq society but I'd like to know if anyone on here is in it/ was in and can tell me about. I heard that MMU is one of the best For gay students but that was on a forum from 2007 so is this still true? Also what do they do? like I know Uni of Manchester does more Bar crawlish stuff but what does MMUs do? Also is anyone else thinking of joining?
sorry if that was long winded :P

Exactly what I was thinking haha, I'm not awfully good with "night clubbing" and such, so I hope the society does alternative things.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by ArranE
Exactly what I was thinking haha, I'm not awfully good with "night clubbing" and such, so I hope the society does alternative things.

I wouldn't mind one or two but Clubs and bars aren't the best way to meet people, friends or otherwise XD
I just hope the stuff I've heard is true :3 because I hardly knew any gay guys in College and knowing who and who isn't gay is hard outside going canal street. Not that I'd base a friendship on gayness alone but you get my feeling :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I wouldn't mind one or two but Clubs and bars aren't the best way to meet people, friends or otherwise XD
I just hope the stuff I've heard is true :3 because I hardly knew any gay guys in College and knowing who and who isn't gay is hard outside going canal street. Not that I'd base a friendship on gayness alone but you get my feeling :smile:

Yh I know where your coming from, I have been out since 16 and had one real gay friend, not including ex partners, that's why I have pinned it down to needing to go clubbing just to meet friends.

This society could be a breath of fresh air for me Tbh.
stonewall youth have this thing where they rate every uk uni based on its lgbtq+ scene etc

They have a whole checklist of things which they compare against what a uni offers to lgbt students. this is mmu's rundown: http://www.gaybydegree.org.uk/university/manchester-met/

I've actually seriously considered applying to glasgow because everyone says its got a really great lgbt society and its student support is so good haha
Original post by beanscream
stonewall youth have this thing where they rate every uk uni based on its lgbtq+ scene etc

They have a whole checklist of things which they compare against what a uni offers to lgbt students. this is mmu's rundown: http://www.gaybydegree.org.uk/university/manchester-met/

I've actually seriously considered applying to glasgow because everyone says its got a really great lgbt society and its student support is so good haha

I'm honestly fine with what's on that list of things they do and the ones that aren't. For example I don't think any career support I get should be too influenced by my sexuality (why would that be necessary?)

Also in relation to the lack of Anti-homophobic bullying policy, do they have an anti discrimination policy/ general anti bullying policy that would come under? Or are things like really homophobic jokes and slurs tolerated? :/
I hope they're not, I'll have to check that out further, seems unlikely though
I'm honestly fine with what's on that list of things they do and the ones that aren't. For example I don't think any career support I get should be too influenced by my sexuality (why would that be necessary?)

Also in relation to the lack of Anti-homophobic bullying policy, do they have an anti discrimination policy/ general anti bullying policy that would come under? Or are things like really homophobic jokes and slurs tolerated? :/
I hope they're not, I'll have to check that out further, seems unlikely though

yeah i'm confused as to what specific career support would entail?

from a quick google search they seem to have a pretty extensive code of conduct for students which forbids any kind of harassment. another search 'manchester metropolitan homophobia' brings up no articles/references to anything that would suggest the uni is bad at dealing with homophobia among students or anything like that.
Hi everyone my name is Nathaniel, I am the Social Secretary for the MMU LGBTQ soceity, we are currently working on getting a homophobia specific policy implemented within the uni, but in the mean time if anyone has any questions feel free to get in touch, or even add me on facebook.

Nathaniel-James Haran
Also as the social events organiser I would really appreciate your input on things you would like to do throughout the year as we are currently in the process of making arrangements :smile:
I'm going to MMU in September doing Computing. I'm a gay that doesn't enjoy clubs and stuff but I am pretty sure it's LGBT friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending