The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

From OU to Oxbridge - anyone here done this?

Hi guys!

I'm currently about to embark on my next 60 credits, completing my 120 credits required to meet entrance requirements at brick university.

I am going to be applying to Oxford as one of my choices, and wanted to hear from others who have used OU credits to gain entrance to Oxbridge and how the transition was for you and what you the process was like.

I haven't found any thread specifically on this subject, and I'd love to meet others who took the same route I am taking, or am planning to take this route, too :smile:

x
Original post by Ivoryfall
Hi guys!

I'm currently about to embark on my next 60 credits, completing my 120 credits required to meet entrance requirements at brick university.

I am going to be applying to Oxford as one of my choices, and wanted to hear from others who have used OU credits to gain entrance to Oxbridge and how the transition was for you and what you the process was like.

I haven't found any thread specifically on this subject, and I'd love to meet others who took the same route I am taking, or am planning to take this route, too :smile:

x

I have posted this in SO many places now. But just so you're aware, if you've done 2 years with the OU (unless you're on a 2+2 scheme, or have a prearranged agreement with the new university to go straight into year 2) you will need to fund year 1 of your new degree yourself as you will have already used up 2 years of your full time entitlement.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I spoke to several people about this and because there is no certification at the end of my modules, that is not the case. We're I doing a higher certificate then yes, you're totally correct. I am not, though, and am funded by charitable grants to help me cover the module costs :smile:

Original post by SuperCat007
I have posted this in SO many places now. But just so you're aware, if you've done 2 years with the OU (unless you're on a 2+2 scheme, or have a prearranged agreement with the new university to go straight into year 2) you will need to fund year 1 of your new degree yourself as you will have already used up 2 years of your full time entitlement.
I spoke to several people about this and because there is no certification at the end of my modules, that is not the case. We're I doing a higher certificate then yes, you're totally correct. I am not, though, and am funded by charitable grants to help me cover the module costs :smile:

It is quite likely you may still loose the funding, and (please don't take this as offence, but in the interest of making it fair) should loose it. But hope it good through for you as you're expecting.
Hi guys!

x

I did an Open Honours degree with the OU and went on to do a Masters at Cambridge and then at the University of Pennsylvania (an Ivy League School) and now going to do a DPhil at Oxford.
Reply 5
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I did an Open Honours degree with the OU and went on to do a Masters at Cambridge and then at the University of Pennsylvania (an Ivy League School) and now going to do a DPhil at Oxford.

Oh wow, that's an incredible series of achievements! Talk about inspiring! :smile:
Yeah it's probably worth noting that Cambridge and the OU have very close ties.
Original post by BestProfileName
Yeah it's probably worth noting that Cambridge and the OU have very close ties.

I doubt that means they readily hand out offers to OU grads and not really sure what you mean by ties.
Oh wow, that's an incredible series of achievements! Talk about inspiring! :smile:

thank you for your kind words. Wouldn't call it inspiring lol but I guess it shows the OU is no barrier should you get good results.
I doubt that means they readily hand out offers to OU grads and not really sure what you mean by ties.

Do you doubt that? You genius. I find that many people wonder if doing something at the OU is widely recognised and accepted by "proper" unis.
Do you doubt that? You genius. I find that many people wonder if doing something at the OU is widely recognised and accepted by "proper" unis.

I was going to do OU but fear it would give me a mickey mouse degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treypound
I was going to do OU but fear it would give me a mickey mouse degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely. Although, generally they're regarded the same as any other degree when it comes to further education and in many cases employment, your friends, family and many others will simply not hold it as highly, on average.

you're suggesting there's some kind of 'relationship' between the OU and Cambridge and I'm saying that's completely rubbish 'you genius'.

as for whether it's recognized and accepted by proper universities I think I have just proven that it is. Furthermore I've been able to land a decent job in 'The City' perhaps as a result of my previous experience and all my qualifications.

the point is the OU is clearly not a barrier and the opinions of 'some people' are irrelevant.
BestProfileName
your friends, family and many others will simply not hold it as highly, on average.

as I said that's totally irrelevant unless they're big firm recruiters etc and even then they wouldn't dismiss an OU grad on degree alone especially if they had a 1st.

I mean the average Brit probably hasn't heard of Caltech or Columbia that doesn't make them 'Mickey Mouse' universities does it?
you're suggesting there's some kind of 'relationship' between the OU and Cambridge and I'm saying that's completely rubbish 'you genius'.

as for whether it's recognized and accepted by proper universities I think I have just proven that it is. Furthermore I've been able to land a decent job in 'The City' perhaps as a result of my previous experience and all my qualifications.

the point is the OU is clearly not a barrier and the opinions of 'some people' are irrelevant.

Your inference based on what I said is incorrect. What I was suggesting is that Cambridge would have no problem with an OU degree (nor would Oxford for that matter, and any other university I've spoken to), but the fact that they have close ties was there merely as reassurance. i.e. your extrapolation, whilst I can understand it, was incorrect.

as I said that's totally irrelevant unless they're big firm recruiters etc and even then they wouldn't dismiss an OU grad on degree alone especially if they had a 1st.

I mean the average Brit probably hasn't heard of Caltech or Columbia that doesn't make them 'Mickey Mouse' universities does it?

I said in a previous comment that an OU degree is fine for further education and employment, so at this point you're testing my patience with your combination of misinterpretation and redundancy.

To your point about Caltech, correct, but if you then told them, "Oh google them", they'd do it and realise you were talking about two of the best universities in the world, whereas this cannot be said for the OU.

edit: perhaps work on your ability to understand what someone is saying before being an idiot. Also, the opinions of "some people" are irrelevant to you, perhaps, but not to many, hence my being forward about it in case it is important to anyone reading (which it often is).
(edited 8 years ago)
Your inference based on what I said is incorrect. What I was suggesting is that Cambridge would have no problem with an OU degree (nor would Oxford for that matter, and any other university I've spoken to), but the fact that they have close ties was there merely as reassurance. i.e. your extrapolation, whilst I can understand it, was incorrect.

I said in a previous comment that an OU degree is fine for further education and employment, so at this point you're testing my patience with your combination of misinterpretation and redundancy.

To your point about Caltech, correct, but if you then told them, "Oh google them", they'd do it and realise you were talking about two of the best universities in the world, whereas this cannot be said for the OU.

edit: perhaps work on your ability to understand what someone is saying before being an idiot.

Resorting to name calling, how mature and intellectual of you.

Whilst I have never and nobody inn the right mind would ever have claimed the OU to be the best university in the world, the fact you based this opinion on what the average person perceives makes you look like an idiot. The OU has a purpose and that's to provide barrier-free access to education (within reason) to those who were unable to attend a traditional university be it for health or work reasons or so on etc. Nobody not even the OU themselves, would claim the education they provide is on par with the likes of Oxbridge or an Ivy League or even a traditional civic university. Their faculty however are drawn from a range of institutions so it's not like you're receiving "Mickey Mouse" teaching or anything.
Lol you two are cracking me up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi guys!

x

Well I did watch a episode of Banged up Abroad where some woman transferred and graduate from Oxford, seriously I'm not trying to be a smartass
Didn't take long for the thread to go to shyte

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you for your kind words. Wouldn't call it inspiring lol but I guess it shows the OU is no barrier should you get good results.

quite inspiring, what percentage did you graduate with and what extracurricular activities did you have to get accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest