The Student Room Group

The Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - Rugby comes home

As usual apologies if someone has beaten me to this.

Home Nations Fixtures

England
v FIJI - Fri 18 Sep, 20:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London
v WALES - Sat 26 Sep, 20:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London
v AUSTRALIA - Sat 3 Oct, 20:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London
v URUGUAY - Sat 10 Oct, 20:00 @ Etihad Stadium, Manchester

Ireland
v CANADA - Sat 19 Sep, 14:30 @ Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
v ROMANIA - Sun 27 Sep, 16:45 @ Wembley Stadium, London
v ITALY - Sun 4 Oct, 16:45 @ Olympic Stadium, London
v FRANCE - Sun 11 Oct, 16:45 @ Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Scotland
v JAPAN - Wed 23 Sep, 14:30 @ Kingsholm, Gloucester
v USA - Sun 27 Sep, 14:30 @ Elland Road, Leeds
v SOUTH AFRICA - Sat 3 Oct, 16:45 @ St James' Park, Newcastle
v SAMOA - Sat 10 Oct, 14:30 @ St James' Park, Newcastle

Wales
v URUGUAY - Sun 20 Sep, 14:30 @ Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
v ENGLAND - Sat 26 Sep, 20:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London
v FIJI - Thu 1 Oct, 16:45 @ Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
v AUSTRALIA - Sat 10 Oct, 20:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London

Knockout Stages

Quarter Finals
1st in Pool B v 2nd in Pool A - Sat 17 Oct, 16:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London
1st in Pool C v 2nd in Pool D - Sat 17 Oct, 20:00 @ Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
1st in Pool D v 2nd in Pool C - Sun 18 Oct, 13:00 @ Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
1st in Pool A v 2nd in Pool B - Sun 18 Oct, 16:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London

Semi Finals
Winner of QF1 v Winner of QF2 - Sat 24 Oct, 16:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London
Winner of QF3 v Winner of QF4 - Sun 25 Oct, 16:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London

3rd Place Playoff
Loser of SF1 v Loser of SF2 - Fri 30 Oct, 20:00 @ Olympic Stadium, London

Final
Winner of SF1 v Winner of SF2 - Sat 31 Oct, 16:00 @ Twickenham Stadium, London

Scroll to see replies

Tags as requested.
Looks awesome, man! Pools B and C are just ridiculous, makes a mockery of drawing the pools so early. I'll never get over it if Wales don't get out of the group.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Looks awesome, man! Pools B and C are just ridiculous, makes a mockery of drawing the pools so early. I'll never get over it if Wales don't get out of the group.

I don't think either pool is that much easier than Pool D though - it's just A that is ridiculous.

Incidentally, were the draw to take place today the seedings would be:
Pot 1: New Zealand, Ireland, Australia, England
Pot 2: South Africa, Wales, France, Argentina
Pot 3: Tonga, Samoa, Scotland, Italy
With Fiji and Georgia ranked amongst the 12 automatic qualifiers (9th and 13th respectively - Italy are 14th) although both had to qualify.
Reply 4
In all honesty I think Ireland's only real challenge in Pool D is France, especially since they beat Wales at the weekend.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I don't think either pool is that much easier than Pool D though - it's just A that is ridiculous.

Incidentally, were the draw to take place today the seedings would be:
Pot 1: New Zealand, Ireland, Australia, England
Pot 2: South Africa, Wales, France, Argentina
Pot 3: Tonga, Samoa, Scotland, Italy
With Fiji and Georgia ranked amongst the 12 automatic qualifiers (9th and 13th respectively - Italy are 14th) although both had to qualify.

Odd seeing SA in pot 2, but don't think they're playing that well, as Argentina showed. I'd back whoever finishes second in pool A to beat them.

Great to see a World Cup with so many genuine contenders.
Reply 6
This might be a stupid question, but I'd be interested to know why so few of the venues are actually rugby stadiums.

Is it just a matter of capacity?
Original post by leahdw
This might be a stupid question, but I'd be interested to know why so few of the venues are actually rugby stadiums.

Is it just a matter of capacity?

Yes, pretty much.

Basically, taking it to New Zealand in 2011 made a huge loss as the grounds are so small there, so for 2015 they're using England's big football grounds to make back the money they lost 4 years ago.
Original post by Airmed
In all honesty I think Ireland's only real challenge in Pool D is France, especially since they beat Wales at the weekend.

yeah France is probably their only challenge, but hey that match v Wales meant nothing! Just made it clear to Gatland who to drop. I think when Wales go to Ireland will be a little more telling of the actual world cup squads for both sides
I'm really looking forward to this World Cup :biggrin: Got tickets for Wales v Australia, and as it's the final pool game (which is a tad ridiculous seeing as England get Uruguay and we play first), it'll be really good one.

Wales to top Group A (fingers crossed) and to face NZ in the final. I'm interested as to how Argentina will do after that win over the Boks last week.
Original post by Airmed

And possibly not even France if they decide they don't feel like performing.
Original post by SarahLund
Wales to top Group A (fingers crossed) and to face NZ in the final. I'm interested as to how Argentina will do after that win over the Boks last week.

Not going to happen, maybe if everyone was fit and healthy but Wales has been hit by injuries worse than any other big team. The front row is probably down to third or fourth choice. England and Australia will just bully you all night long.
Original post by Patrick Wallace
Not going to happen, maybe if everyone was fit and healthy but Wales has been hit by injuries worse than any other big team. The front row is probably down to third or fourth choice. England and Australia will just bully you all night long.

I know, it's seriously unfortunate and our next best things are simply not of the calibre we need. I mean, losing Jon Davies so bringing Tyler Morgan as a back-up centre, really, is a bit jokey. Front row isn't that great atm admittedly, but Samson Lee could be a part of some of the pool games.

Australia I'm definitely worried about, but England I believe are beatable for us. I just find us more evenly matched with them, but scrum time could be a worry. Otherwise, I think our back line is a lot stronger than theirs.
Yes, pretty much.

Basically, taking it to New Zealand in 2011 made a huge loss as the grounds are so small there, so for 2015 they're using England's big football grounds to make back the money they lost 4 years ago.

In fairness to NZ, AMI Stadium was supposed to host a lot of the games but had to move to the regions due to the 2011 Earthquake destroying AMI stadium which put a massive spanner in the works.

I'm supporting NZ but sheesh they better get their act together and wtf has happened to South Africa?! They will be lucky to make it out of pool games.
I know, it's seriously unfortunate and our next best things are simply not of the calibre we need. I mean, losing Jon Davies so bringing Tyler Morgan as a back-up centre, really, is a bit jokey. Front row isn't that great atm admittedly, but Samson Lee could be a part of some of the pool games.

Australia I'm definitely worried about, but England I believe are beatable for us. I just find us more evenly matched with them, but scrum time could be a worry. Otherwise, I think our back line is a lot stronger than theirs.

Regarding the front row, I don't understand why Tomas Francis hasn't played yet. Either Gatland doesn't rate him (in which case his judgement is even worse than I previously thought) or Francis still can't decide between Wales and England.
Regarding the front row, I don't understand why Tomas Francis hasn't played yet. Either Gatland doesn't rate him (in which case his judgement is even worse than I previously thought) or Francis still can't decide between Wales and England.

I've been reading online that Gatland is going to pick him, so didn't feel the need to start him against Ireland, but of course that's not 100% reliable. I really hope he does consider him and isn't one of the cuts he makes before the Italy match.
I've been reading online that Gatland is going to pick him, so didn't feel the need to start him against Ireland, but of course that's not 100% reliable. I really hope he does consider him and isn't one of the cuts he makes before the Italy match.

The guy's uncapped though, surely he needs a bit of game time beforehand!

Also, all the weird stories are coming out today it seems:
Naholo back in All Blacks contention after 'Gift from God'
"I don't look at colour": Meyer responds to racism claims
Reply 17
I think it will be a New Zealand-England final, with New Zealand the most likely winners. Bit of a safe, boring prediction, but there we go.

I was thinking that England might conquer the rugby world again, but the loss of Hartley and Tuilagi is damaging. England did have the best line-out in the world before Hartley's suspension, and Young/Webber are a class below. Still, they have a reasonably favourable draw, and won't be facing New Zealand/South Africa until the final provided they top their group.

And you have to back England to beat Wales and Australia with home advantage, in spite of Australia's recent resurgence. I think Ireland have been somewhat overhyped, while France will inevitably fall somewhere between brilliance and disaster.

New Zealand should be fine to make the final, as long as they don't choke! South Africa aren't in a very good place, currently.

If it is a final between New Zealand and England, I would make the Kiwis 60-40 favourites.
Original post by JMP1995
I think it will be a New Zealand-England final, with New Zealand the most likely winners. Bit of a safe, boring prediction, but there we go.

I was thinking that England might conquer the rugby world again, but the loss of Hartley and Tuilagi is damaging. England did have the best line-out in the world before Hartley's suspension, and Young/Webber are a class below. Still, they have a reasonably favourable draw, and won't be facing New Zealand/South Africa until the final provided they top their group.

And you have to back England to beat Wales and Australia with home advantage, in spite of Australia's recent resurgence. I think Ireland have been somewhat overhyped, while France will inevitably fall somewhere between brilliance and disaster.

New Zealand should be fine to make the final, as long as they don't choke! South Africa aren't in a very good place, currently.

If it is a final between New Zealand and England, I would make the Kiwis 60-40 favourites.

If England do get to the final I think we can expect a very different atmosphere around the game than for a regular Eng-NZ friendly match, as a result of it being a World Cup at home on free-to-air TV. The All Blacks don't have the same unbeatable aura that they had only 18 months ago, and I probably agree with your 60-40. However I could easily see Ireland there instead of England, and I expect much the same aura around them as would be around England if they're playing well on their way to the final. I do think though if Ireland get there the All Blacks are more likely to win it.
The guy's uncapped though, surely he needs a bit of game time beforehand!

Also, all the weird stories are coming out today it seems:
Naholo back in All Blacks contention after 'Gift from God'
"I don't look at colour": Meyer responds to racism claims

Perhaps he'll start against Italy?

Oh gosh, it's all happening now. The world cup seems to be getting to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest