The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Living Costs

Hi everyone I was lucky enough to get an unconditional offer so I'm going to study biomedical science in september but I'm just working out my living cost
My student loan is £7434
When I subtract my top choice accommodation (which I regret! wish id picked cheaper, its about the people not the place!), Tv License, Unirider 39 week bus pass, NUS card, estimated book cost, average laundry cost and mobile phone cost ill be left with £24 per week (which includes saving for next years accommodation deposit and for emergencies). Im lucky enough to have a job lined up when I arrive as I have transferred within my company but I was wondering if anyone can think of any other costs I should account for. As a science student do I have to buy a new lab coat (I already own one from college). Can anyone think of any costs I havent covered?
Original post by sherlockholmes96
Hi everyone I was lucky enough to get an unconditional offer so I'm going to study biomedical science in september but I'm just working out my living cost
My student loan is £7434
When I subtract my top choice accommodation (which I regret! wish id picked cheaper, its about the people not the place!), Tv License, Unirider 39 week bus pass, NUS card, estimated book cost, average laundry cost and mobile phone cost ill be left with £24 per week (which includes saving for next years accommodation deposit and for emergencies). Im lucky enough to have a job lined up when I arrive as I have transferred within my company but I was wondering if anyone can think of any other costs I should account for. As a science student do I have to buy a new lab coat (I already own one from college). Can anyone think of any costs I havent covered?

With regards to the course, some of these books can be very pricey (Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry is a very thick book..) - what are you planning to buy? You certainly don't need to buy all of them and often places like Blackwell's (on-campus bookstore) sell them second hand, as of course do reputable online retailers.

You do not need to buy lab coats, safety equipment is provided.

Do you also *need* a TV licence? Catch up services/online streaming is so readily available and the campus internet is very reliable. How much live TV will you really be watching inbetween doing stuff with housemates/studying. As for other costs, I'm not sure what else I'd pick out. Can you get any financial support from parents?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
i wasnt planning on buying any books brand new if I can help it, i'm just planning on buying second hand copies of whatever isnt available in the library. In regards to tv license I was under the impression I had to own it for services such as bbc iplayer etc. Most of the tv shows I watch are online because theyre in America but didnt want to get caught out watching british tv services when I shouldnt be as its much cheaper to pay the £140 or so than a £1000 fine!
Btw are you studying at kent may I ask
Original post by sherlockholmes96
i wasnt planning on buying any books brand new if I can help it, i'm just planning on buying second hand copies of whatever isnt available in the library. In regards to tv license I was under the impression I had to own it for services such as bbc iplayer etc. Most of the tv shows I watch are online because theyre in America but didnt want to get caught out watching british tv services when I shouldnt be as its much cheaper to pay the £140 or so than a £1000 fine!
Btw are you studying at kent may I ask

Fair enough. Most books are well stocked in the library though during the first term when every first year is rushing to take out the same ones it can be a little bit awkward. There are a couple worth having, but really do try and buy second hand.

You do not need a licence to use BBC iPlayer or indeed any catch-up service. It is required to watch live TV. Official FAQ: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs | Better FAQ (credit to TSR's very own Reue): http://tvlicencefaq.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html

I did my UG & PG there and left last September :yy:
Reply 4
I personally wouldn't buy the Uni Rider until you get to uni, I never bought it and town is anything from a 15-30 minute walk from campus depending on where you are and how fast you walk, TV License, I don't think that is ESSENTIAL, I never used my TV when I got to their so honestly I wouldn't bother with that.

Books, second hand all the way, facebook is usually swamped with people selling their books from the year above, haggle that stuff down and you'll be fine! :smile:
If you're planning to join any societies its normally a 5 quid membership fee, but if you're planning to join any sports its more expensive (normally 20 quid), plus uniform if you want to join a team (can be up to a 100 quid) also there's the gym membership.

I personally got the unibus ticket, even when I lived on campus. I am also a very lazy person though lol. My justification was that I could go grocery shopping but you can always get that delivered for like a few quid.

As to accommodation, if you really want a cheaper place, you can swap with someone's once you get your offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi What accommodation have you? I'm looking for en suite but going through clearing and not sure what is left
Accommodation offers haven't been sent out yet! Normally they start getting released about a week after results
Original post by harry1995
Hi What accommodation have you? I'm looking for en suite but going through clearing and not sure what is left

I have applied for Turing 1st Choice and two Park Wood options as 2nd and 3rd, I dont actually remember my 4th but it was a self catered option! As far as I know all accommodation is left because nobody has been assigned it yet!
What course are you going to be studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending