The Student Room Group

Female Reporter Kissed on Cheek Sparks Controversy and Police Investigation

Scroll to see replies

It is a real storm in a teacup. Stop wasting police time.
Original post by Dandaman1
As far as I'm aware, it can't.

It's not just trivial to me. I'd even go as for as to say that it's objectively trivial. If pecking someone on the cheek at a music festival is now a serious, newsworthy issue that gets the RCMP on your ass, I and the remaining sane individuals in this country are going to need to apply for refugee status somewhere.

It's defined vaguely, and is largely determined by case law. Based on a quick Google search, according to some lawyers it most certainly could be treated as sexual assault.

Well, it's clearly not trivial for the victim, and given the public outcry it cannot possibly be considered "objectively trivial". The location of the incident is also irrelevant.
One of the reasons I'm afraid to meet girls outside. Everything is sexual assault and terrible terrible crime, yet when I get my ass grabbed or jumped on top of nobody bats an eye. This kind of law is too strict and word 'sexual assault' overused.
Damn right, I mean imagine if a male reporter for the BBC had a drunken girl run up to him and kiss him on the cheek, she'd surely expect a 12 months suspended sentence for sexual assault.
Original post by joey11223
Damn right, I mean imagine if a male reporter for the BBC had a drunken girl run up to him and kiss him on the cheek, she'd surely expect a 12 months suspended sentence for sexual assault.

The male reporter would most probably be flattered.

If a girl ran up to me and kissed my cheek, that's how I'd feel too ... People are too sensitive.
Original post by VotreAltesse
The male reporter would most probably be flattered.

If a girl ran up to me and kissed my cheek, that's how I'd feel too ... People are too sensitive.

Nah he'd be traumatized and demand the perp be thrown behind bars, and no doubt she would, after all we live in an equal society now, not one where women get lesser sentences for similar crimes to men.
Overblown and worse, a waste of police and judicial resources.
Reply 27
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Don't know much about Canadian law, but technically it could be described as sexual assault.

It may seem trivial to you, but that's entirely irrelevant.

It couldn't possibly be seen as sexual harassment...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have every right to be pissed if someone kisses me without my permission.
i watched the video didn't seem like he even managed to kiss her ?
Reply 30
Original post by EllainKahlo
I have every right to be pissed if someone kisses me without my permission.

So you'd be fine with that person going to jail and being put on a sex offenders list just for kissing your cheek?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bottom line is people should not be kissing random people they don't know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wade-
So you'd be fine with that person going to jail and being put on a sex offenders list just for kissing your cheek?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say that, did I? But it is still inappropriate nonetheless.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Context dependant, I would see this as sexual contact. It was meant in such a way, it wasn't a greeting or between relatives.

Jesus Christ calm down, someone pointed out your genuine error there's no need to go off on a tangent about mothers kissing their children..

And as a side note, you can't justify your argument by saying 'I would see this as..'. Having an opinion on something doesn't change the law
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
Jesus Christ calm down, someone pointed out your genuine error there's no need to go off on a tangent about mothers kissing their children..

And as a side note, you can't justify your argument by saying 'I would see this as..'. Having an opinion on something doesn't change the law

I brought up mothers kissing their children to show that a kiss on the lips was deemed to be sexual contact or not dependant on the context, so why wouldn't on the cheek be the same?

I had left the issue when someone else pointed out it was a little off topic (although it was circling round to being back on topic as it was actually relevant).
Reply 35
Original post by EllainKahlo
I didn't say that, did I? But it is still inappropriate nonetheless.

No, hence the question mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saeed97
I know right, what were the media and police thinking reacting so badly to such a petty thing.

Female reporters shouldn't risk getting kissed on the cheek ever again
She needs to get a grip. Honestly, there are women in the world getting raped and she's throwing a hissy fit because someone pecked her on the cheek. Please.
Reply 38
Original post by ShotsFired-9941

Here's a bridge:
Gaoliang_Bridge.jpg
Now get over it.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941

It's disgraceful isn't it. I mean, I know journalists Kenji Goto and James Foley we're beheaded for doing their jobs, and Peter Sissons machine gunned through both legs, Robert Fisk beaten to within an inch of his life for doing his job, and Frank Gardner shot multiple times and left in a wheelchair by al-Qaida supporters, but they pale into insignificance when compared to the horror she went through.Is there a ribbon you can buy to support her?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending