The Student Room Group

Do I have a Peptic ulcer?

I'm currently suffering with a perforated ear drum caused by an infection. Last night it was causing me extreme pain so I took a diclofenac. I also took paracetamol and ibuprofen in 4 hour staggered intervals for much of the day and the whole night. This morning I have woken up with a burning pain in the upper middle portion of my stomach that is somewhat relieved whilst sitting. I understand that NSAIDs can cause peptic ulcers, especially when taken on an empty stomach (as 5 of those I took were). Could I have a peptic ulcer from 1 day of using NSAIDs? If so, How likely is it? The other causes could be side effects of the antibiotics or painkillers (co-codamol) I'm on, although I have only taken one dose of each so far. Perhaps I have overdosed accidentally? Or perhaps it's unrelated to the medication. Anyway, I will happily call out a GP but I have been to see him 3 times this week as my ear pain worsened and feel a bit embarrassed seeing him again if I could have waited. Thank you for help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Tronick
I'm currently suffering with a perforated ear drum caused by an infection. Last night it was causing me extreme pain so I took a diclofenac. I also took paracetamol and ibuprofen in 4 hour staggered intervals for much of the day and the whole night. This morning I have woken up with a burning pain in the upper middle portion of my stomach that is somewhat relieved whilst sitting. I understand that NSAIDs can cause peptic ulcers, especially when taken on an empty stomach (as 5 of those I took were). Could I have a peptic ulcer from 1 day of using NSAIDs? If so, How likely is it? The other causes could be side effects of the antibiotics or painkillers (co-codamol) I'm on, although I have only taken one dose of each so far. Perhaps I have overdosed accidentally? Or perhaps it's unrelated to the medication. Anyway, I will happily call out a GP but I have been to see him 3 times this week as my ear pain worsened and feel a bit embarrassed seeing him again if I could have waited. Thank you for help

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the pain continues then it might be worth seeing your GP. While it is possible that you have an ulcer it could also be that something you have eaten/the antibiotics/the non-steroidals have just caused a bit of a gastritis. Either way I would get checked out if it isn't getting better.

Quick Reply

Latest