The Student Room Group

A 'Forced' Gap Year

I was hoping someone could help me (or give me some advice).

So, this year I applied for several courses, in which I was rejected for 3 of them because my current course that I was doing, does not relate to the course that I applied for. Now, that was fine as in the end, I felt like this course wasn't right for me.
However, my other 2 choices were ACCEPTED (of which were the same course, I got declined for at other universities). I decided to accept one and decline the other in the hopes of obtaining a place via Adjustment and that I may change my mind at a later date.

Now that Adjustment is upon us now, I contacted a university in regards to a place in one of their courses, to be told that they are expected and due to go over the quota for places. This means that I am now stuck with a course and a university that I do not wish to go to.
I contacted this university this morning and told them that I would like to take a Gap Year and I am now awaiting a reply.

If my release gets accepted, does anyone have any advice as to what to do during the year that I am forced to sit out on? I recently received an A in HND: Computing Software Development and intend to apply for Software Engineering at University of Strathclyde.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Brizo
I was hoping someone could help me (or give me some advice).

So, this year I applied for several courses, in which I was rejected for 3 of them because my current course that I was doing, does not relate to the course that I applied for. Now, that was fine as in the end, I felt like this course wasn't right for me.
However, my other 2 choices were ACCEPTED (of which were the same course, I got declined for at other universities). I decided to accept one and decline the other in the hopes of obtaining a place via Adjustment and that I may change my mind at a later date.

Now that Adjustment is upon us now, I contacted a university in regards to a place in one of their courses, to be told that they are expected and due to go over the quota for places. This means that I am now stuck with a course and a university that I do not wish to go to.
I contacted this university this morning and told them that I would like to take a Gap Year and I am now awaiting a reply.

If my release gets accepted, does anyone have any advice as to what to do during the year that I am forced to sit out on? I recently received an A in HND: Computing Software Development and intend to apply for Software Engineering at University of Strathclyde.

I think the key thing is to do something that a - you enjoy and b - makes good use of the time. I spent my gap year training and then working as an outdoor instructor - I love being out in the mountains. I just did it because I knew I would love it but it's given me loads of really useful experience and transferable skills (leadership, teamwork, tons of examples of resilience, dealing with problems, thinking on my feet, etc) This is great for applying for nearly anything and it also means I can do some really cool stuff in the holidays and get paid for it!

Quick Reply

Latest