The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
Best advice is to keep looking all the time and snatch at whatever you can get! Go for jobs that you have experience in cos there's a lot of competition in a big city so if you've never worked in a clothes shop there's not much chance of you getting a job there over the 50 people who do have experience.
Tho I expect supermarkets might be a bit easier to get a job in because they tend to have a fast turnover rate anyway. Look on the job centre website and the LUU website for Joblink, esp in the weeks running up to you moving here, you can pounce on jobs and get an interview before you start uni (cos all the other freshers will start looking once they've got over the excitement of freshers, if you get a headstart you might do better).
I didn't get a part time job til this year (i'm 2nd year) and I had tried previously. It depends how lucky you are and how committed you are to searching! (and how good you are at interviewing - I suck!!)

Hope it helps x
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Well i have bar work experience and i believe there to be alot of drinking places in the city so mite try my luck there
Your best bet is to not apply at peak times (i.e. September) when all the new students arrive, because everybody will be doing the same thing.
Reply 4
Pink_Diamond
Well i have bar work experience and i believe there to be alot of drinking places in the city so mite try my luck there

yea go for it, if you check joblink you might find some jobs at the union bars too, but get in there quick like I said :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah as someone above said, people I know have had a lot more luck applying for jobs a bit further into the year, rather than in September when everyone is applying. However, if you do need one asap, it might be best you arrive slightly early cus once everyone arrives it is roadblock.
zebidee
yea go for it, if you check joblink you might find some jobs at the union bars too, but get in there quick like I said :smile:

Joblink needs a uni username/password now, so he/she won't be able to get on till September :frown:
Reply 7
maybe i will work every possible shift going at work from now till i start uni, save up, then have a financial cushion for when i start uni n get a job at christmas temp time.
Reply 8
guitarromantic
Joblink needs a uni username/password now, so he/she won't be able to get on till September :frown:

wow, never knew
that sucks for new students eh?
It sucks for current ones, it never remembers me so I have to login every single time... hassle.
Reply 10
I got a transfer from home and I noticed a lot of people coming in to ask for jobs when uni started at my workplace. Unfortunately we had enough staff already with those who transferred. A couple of my mates went round Leeds over summer handing out CV's and applying everywhere, and they ended up with jobs now.

Hope that helps! xx

Latest