The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got 7 A 3 B in GCSE
Got 3A and a B in AS but they weren't high A's
Can I still get into med?
Yeah,

Just do not declare the UMS scores and they will not know if they are high or low As
Original post by BigDreamer123
Got 7 A 3 B in GCSE
Got 3A and a B in AS but they weren't high A's
Can I still get into med?

Absolutely! Lots of unis don't care about how high the A's were! An A is an A. Go for it!
I'm hoping to apply for medicine with a 2016 entry. I've just got my results and got AABB. Will this hold me back?

All answers very much appreciated.
Afaik, you need A*AA/AAA predicted when you apply, can still get offers with AABB at AS provided you bump up the B's overall when you sit A2 exams.

Hope that helps.
Original post by NattyDirnhuber
I'm hoping to apply for medicine with a 2016 entry. I've just got my results and got AABB. Will this hold me back?

All answers very much appreciated.

Get predicted AAA+ and get those grades. Don't apply to unis that weigh heavily on As results and find those that look at predicted instead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
I've just picked up my results, and they are really not what I hoped for, I feel like I could have worked harder, but I can't change the results now. My teachers were shocked also because they said they never expected me to achieve the grades I did as before the exams I was achieving A's in the mocks.

My results today for AS were:
EPQ - A
Biology - D
Chemistry - C
Maths - D
Computer Science - C

I have dedicated myself to medicine for a long time now and I can't see my self doing anything else, please help me, what shall I do? Resit?
Original post by gregambrose
I've just picked up my results, and they are really not what I hoped for, I feel like I could have worked harder, but I can't change the results now. My teachers were shocked also because they said they never expected me to achieve the grades I did as before the exams I was achieving A's in the mocks.

My results today for AS were:
EPQ - A
Biology - D
Chemistry - C
Maths - D
Computer Science - C

I have dedicated myself to medicine for a long time now and I can't see my self doing anything else, please help me, what shall I do? Resit?

That's what I got first time round! There are ways in but it will be not be easy.

Either:
Resit like hell and work work work to get AAA. You might not get predicted AAA but you can always get the grades and reapply next year with your grades in hand.

Go grad entry - if you can do another degree, do well, then you can apply post grad.

Go widening access - if you meet the socioeconomic criteria, then there are courses with lower entry requirements - Look into Kings EDMP, UEA, Southampton BM6, Leeds etc etc. There are lots.

It's not over but you'll need to get good predictions and work hard this year.

Do not resit the year as A levels over 3 years rules out most of your options.

Good luck!
Do applied science at college it's a two year BTEC then you can get into foundation year for medical studies then go to med school, really you should've done that first. So many people think sixth form and a levels are a walk in the park just because they're too ashamed of wanting to study BTEC at college. Sorry that's just me venting, wish you the best of luck 👌🏻
Original post by Neostigmine
That's what I got first time round! There are ways in but it will be not be easy.

Either:
Resit like hell and work work work to get AAA. You might not get predicted AAA but you can always get the grades and reapply next year with your grades in hand.

Go grad entry - if you can do another degree, do well, then you can apply post grad.

Go widening access - if you meet the socioeconomic criteria, then there are courses with lower entry requirements - Look into Kings EDMP, UEA, Southampton BM6, Leeds etc etc. There are lots.

Good luck!

so do you mean to resit AS while you're doing your A2?
Reply 30

Either:

Good luck!

Thanks for you advice, but would uni's look down on me if I resit? I'm willing to put in the work however! And i think my teachers would give me good predictions because they were shocked with what I achieved today, they expected more :frown:
Original post by Thatawesomegally
Do applied science at college it's a two year BTEC then you can get into foundation year for medical studies then go to med school, really you should've done that first. So many people think sixth form and a levels are a walk in the park just because they're too ashamed of wanting to study BTEC at college. Sorry that's just me venting, wish you the best of luck 👌🏻

Foiundation courses are another option for sure but A levels are the usual way to do it as you can get straight into medical school. I don't think shame is a reason people don't do BTECs!!
Reply 32
Original post by Emad1993

Yes, resit my AS levels as well as doing A2

Yes!

Thanks for you advice, but would uni's look down on me if I resit? I'm willing to put in the work however! And i think my teachers would give me good predictions because they were shocked with what I achieved today, they expected more :frown:

Not if you resit during your A2 year. If you do your a levels over 3 years you're pretty much ruled out but during your 2 years you'll be fine.

Sounnds like with a bit of sweet talking the teachers and good predictions you can work hard next year and be fine. Worst case you take a gap year and apply after you get the AAA if unis can't see past the AS results.
Yes!

Not if you resit during your A2 year. If you do your a levels over 3 years you're pretty much ruled out but during your 2 years you'll be fine.

Sounnds like with a bit of sweet talking the teachers and good predictions you can work hard next year and be fine. Worst case you take a gap year and apply after you get the AAA if unis can't see past the AS results.

ok so will your application be successful if you are looking to apply for medicine since the AS results are not that good?
ok so will your application be successful if you are looking to apply for medicine since the AS results are not that good?

Some unis, Southampton for example, don't even look at AS results for subjects you take to A2. There are other unis out there that do the same too!
Reply 36
Yes!

Thank You! So Im going to have to knuckle down and work hard!
Resit your AS exams next year as well as doing A2s.Work really hard next year.Either apply next year to unis with foundation courses or apply post a level for normal unis.

Or go grad route.
Thank You! So Im going to have to knuckle down and work hard!

Yeah. But if you get into medical school then that's the case for a lot of the year annyway. See it as practice :wink:
Reply 39
Yeah. But if you get into medical school then that's the case for a lot of the year annyway. See it as practice :wink:

Also, is it worth resting the Maths AS, as I was going to drop it next year, or shall I just resit and do the A2's in Chemistry, Biology and Computing?

Latest

Trending

Trending