The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newt1
yes you definitely have a good shot dont worry!! as long as you can get and achieve predicted grades of AAA.

Thank you!! its scary stuff though ahaha
Reply 761
Please help I'm at a loss. I had my ukcat today and didnt do very well. I got an avergae of 610. 490 in VR, 740 in QR, 580 in DA, 630 in AR and band 2 in SJT. Gcses= 5A*s 4As 1B(in engllishlanguage). Straight A's at ASlevel. Im considering doing the bmat or a gap year. Any advice on where my grades are good enough?
Hey everyone,

I see everyone's very stressed out- as am I and was wondering if i could get some advice please :frown:

I'm wanting to apply for medicine, my GCSEs were: 11A*, 4A
However, I just got back from being abroad yesterday and got my AS results which were AAAC with the C being in Chemistry :'''(((
(Other subjects were Biology, Maths, Religious studies)

I will be resitting Chem this year, but was wondering if realistically speaking, I stilll have a chance? Im reading through other posts in this thread and people seem to have done really well with all As in their ASs this year which is both pleasing but worrying.
Furthermore, what should I drop? I HATE maths so have said that I will be dropping that, however will that put me at an even more disadvantage if i carry on with religious studies which is obviously not an academic subject unlike maths????
(Btw, my maths breakdown was C1-B C2-B S1-A) It's a miracle I got an A overall ://

Finally, i sit my UKCAT in exactly 10 days and have only started revising as of this morning and I want to cry... I didn't realise it was this difficult!!!! I'm honestly freaking out and having a mental breakdown right now I don't know what to do... any tips on how I could maximise my knowledge and condense revision into 10 days?? D: ((everyone said it was just a common sense test with no revision required?!?!?!))

Honestly thank you so much in advance to anyone who's willing to give me any advice :frown:

Thanks x
Reply 763
Original post by happydays507
Hey everyone,

I see everyone's very stressed out- as am I and was wondering if i could get some advice please :frown:

However, I just got back from being abroad yesterday and got my AS results which were AAAC with the C being in Chemistry :'''(((

I will be resitting Chem this year, but was wondering if realistically speaking, I stilll have a chance? Im reading through other posts in this thread and people seem to have done really well with all As in their ASs this year which is both pleasing but worrying.
Furthermore, what should I drop? I HATE maths so have said that I will be dropping that, however will that put me at an even more disadvantage if i carry on with religious studies which is obviously not an academic subject unlike maths????
(Btw, my maths breakdown was C1-B C2-B S1-A) It's a miracle I got an A overall ://

Finally, i sit my UKCAT in exactly 10 days and have only started revising as of this morning and I want to cry... I didn't realise it was this difficult!!!! I'm honestly freaking out and having a mental breakdown right now I don't know what to do... any tips on how I could maximise my knowledge and condense revision into 10 days?? D: ((everyone said it was just a common sense test with no revision required?!?!?!))

Honestly thank you so much in advance to anyone who's willing to give me any advice :frown:

Thanks x

I'm in a similar situation to you except I got a D in chem and my GCSEs were As and A*s but not as good as yours haha and my UKCAT is also in exactly 10 days and I've just started prep😭😭 But I was very put off by my surprising results so I kinda lost hope and gave up on ukcat so I've decided to speak to my teacher at school see if they think I have any chance whatsoever and if yes I'll move up my ukcat and prepare well
Hi I'm a student who is starting A levels and I want to do medicine. Will university accept a levels that are done privately in a tuition centre??
Original post by Hedwig24
I have 11A*s at GCSE and 4As at AS and should be predicted at least 3As (bio, Chem,maths)
My UKCAT was 650 and band 1. Any recommendations of universities that place less emphasis on UKCAT score and more on grades? Any help is much appreciated! I am currently thinking:
Cardiff
Exeter (if I get high predictions)
Queens Belfast
Birmingham/Oxford
Would Edinburgh be a silly choice due to UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely apply to Oxford , I know someone with literally the same GCSEs , UKCAT score and AS Grades (she got A*A*A in A2) and got into Oxford to study medicine this year
Hi guys, can you give me some advice on which medical schools to apply for?
GCSEs - 2A*, 8As, 1B (really dissapointed with these)
AS - AAAB
A2 predictions - A*A*A
UKCAT - 720
Volunteering - 1 week in hospital, 2 weeks in gp surgery, and longtime volunteering at youth club for disabled children
Extracurriculars include a few things like karate, art and photography.
Do you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting an interview at Cambridge if I was to apply despite my bad GCSE grades?
Original post by happydays507
Hey everyone,

Thanks x

Hello!

First off, very well done on your GCSE results. Seriously, they are very good and if you apply to Universities which love GCSE's (eg: Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool) you will max out your score for this criteria and thus give yourself a high chance of receiving an interview.

Your A level grades are not the end of the world, you have 3 A's there which is a great start. What you now need to do in regard to your chemistry is resit the modules this year alongside your A2 stuff. It will be difficult yes, but not impossible. You also need to get your teacher to predict you an A for chemistry, possibility even include in your teachers reference any reasons why you did not achieve an A this year. It would also be useful to get them to predict A*'s for the other 2 subjects.

As for which subject to take, I would strongly suggest only taking maths if you realisticly think you can achieve an A again this year. If not, then you need to take RE. Yes it may be less academic and thus decrease your chance of an offer, but there is no point getting an offer if you cant get the grades you need at the end.

People who call UKCAT a common sense test are idiots. The UKCAT is the hardest thing I've ever done and I did 2 months prep. You have 2 options at this point, work hard to do as much revision as possible, or consider delaying your test (I think thats possible, check on the site). You can only sit this once, make sure to do it right. If you decide to continue, then all I can say is practice practice practice. Do both the tests on the official website and also go and buy the book for it too. if you can do the ones in the book and on the site, you can do the UKCAT, because it is easier then what they give you to prepare!

Finally, getting your UKCAT wrong is not the end of the world, Cardiff, Liverpool and Keele (3 places I applied so I know) don't use it/ hardly use it so you should be fine.

Hope this helps you and others in a similar situation, please either reply or PM if you need further help!
Original post by Candycay
AS - AAAB
A2 predictions - A*A*A
UKCAT - 720
Volunteering - 1 week in hospital, 2 weeks in gp surgery, and longtime volunteering at youth club for disabled children
Do you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting an interview at Cambridge if I was to apply despite my bad GCSE grades?

To be brutally honest, I don't think so. Main reason I say this is because of your AS grades and GCSE results combined. Even though you have great predictions, I've never heard of an individual get an interview without 4 A's at AS (usually they also love a 5th one too). Your GCSE results also sadly don't reflect what they want either, usually its around at least 5 A*'s.

If you still want to apply then good on you, go for it, just remember you only have 4 options for medicine, and its competitive enough as it is, apply smart to places you have a higher chance of being accepted into :smile:
So you need AAAA to get an interview at the likes of Cambridge? Just wondering if this is the same everywhere?

And also, if a school was lower standard, how many universities allow a slightly lower grade requirement for people from there, eg AAAB?

Thank you for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FireDwarf2
To be brutally honest, I don't think so. Main reason I say this is because of your AS grades and GCSE results combined. Even though you have great predictions, I've never heard of an individual get an interview without 4 A's at AS (usually they also love a 5th one too). Your GCSE results also sadly don't reflect what they want either, usually its around at least 5 A*'s.

If you still want to apply then good on you, go for it, just remember you only have 4 options for medicine, and its competitive enough as it is, apply smart to places you have a higher chance of being accepted into :smile:

So you need AAAA to get an interview at the likes of Cambridge? Just wondering if this is the same everywhere?

And also, if a school was lower standard, how many universities allow a slightly lower grade requirement for people from there, eg AAAB?

Thank you for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey:smile:

No just Cambridge/Oxford look that high, most others want the generic AAA:smile:.

Some Uni's do vary in their offer, like Keele offered me A*AB/AAA but most stick with the generic AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay that's good thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Candycay
AS - AAAB
A2 predictions - A*A*A
UKCAT - 720

May I ask what your UMS average was in your top three ?
Hey, I'm applying after a gap year and wanted to know which UKCAT universities I had the best chances at gauranteeing an interview!
These are my stats:
GCSEs: 7A*, 3A, 1B (B in Eng Lan)
AS: AAAA
A2 achieved: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 760
My main worry is my GCSEs not being high enough... thanks
Original post by justinamarina
Definitely apply to Oxford , I know someone with literally the same GCSEs , UKCAT score and AS Grades (she got A*A*A in A2) and got into Oxford to study medicine this year

Thank you, I will definitely look into it! I guess I would have to do well in BMAT though which is always a gamble....:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 4A*'s 5A's 1B at GCSE with mitigating circumstances.

I got AABBC at AS (Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths)

I averaged 650 in the UKCAT.

Predictions for A2 are A*AA

Am I good enough for an interview at Leicester, Liverpool, East Anglia or Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
I got 4A*'s 5A's 1B at GCSE with mitigating circumstances.

I got AABBC at AS (Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths)

I averaged 650 in the UKCAT.

Predictions for A2 are A*AA

Am I good enough for an interview at Leicester, Liverpool, East Anglia or Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would depend upon your mitigating circumstances regarding GCSE's. Liverpool is a very heavy university in regards to your GCSE results and as such you may not have the highest chances applying there, they are good don't get me wrong, but there will be candidates with higher. Similarly, UEA also likes GCSE results.

Your predictions are good and your AS grades are okay, you can get away with a B at as AS usually, but you will need to pull up that other B this year :smile:

Overall I would say go for it, you have good enough grades to give it a go. Have you considered anywhere else btw?
My mitigating close circumstances involve my mother so are classed as quite severe.

With Liverpool's scoring system, I somehow get full marks for GCSE's, so thought it was worth a shot😂

I also considered Keele but they want a 4th AS at grade A, Nottingham score me quite low on GCSE's, and at Plymouth I'd struggle because I would be taking a risk in whether or not I reach their UKCAT cut off.

Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 779
You sure about Keele? I got an offer there with a B at AS :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending