The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2015* - I met my offer and got into medical school!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Dr. Django
Certainly, going out tonight with some friends so should be a good one!

Probably just as well you rested up :wink: Enjoy!
Reply 81
Original post by Dr. Django
Congratulations to everyone, you've done amazingly and I know how relieved you all must feel!!I got into Exeter and Im just so happy and relieved. Last year I was so close to giving up on medicine after missing the grades for my offers, but I persevered and a year later its finally paid off! I just cannot wait to start uni now :smile:

Glad to hear things have worked out for you this year dude! Very much deserved! Hope you're buzzing to start, you'll love it :biggrin:
I found this thread kind of late... but i have been busy celebrating...

As many of you who have seen me around TSR lately know, I though I was going to fail chemistry and loose my place at Cardiff medical school! But oh was I wrong!!

I got A*AA today and finally my dream of getting into medical school has come true and im on the path to becoming a doctor!

Watch out world!
Well done everyone :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations everyone! Enjoy it!
Reply 85
Hey guys,

I'm due to start medicine this September at Manchester. Do any of you have any tips for the first year in regards to how I should plan revision or which books to use etc?
Congrats everyone, you must all be so relieved!! :smile:

Original post by zed963
Hey guys,

I'm due to start medicine this September at Manchester. Do any of you have any tips for the first year in regards to how I should plan revision or which books to use etc?

My advice (although I'm probably nearer one end of a very broad spectrum of how people approach medicine haha) is to not work too hard in first year. Seriously I wish somebody had told me this and I'd have listened! It's a steep learning curve and you will have to work harder than you did at a-level to keep up. But don't do what I did and do all nighters all the time and sacrifice nights out to study - it is just not worth it, first year doesn't count for much (if anything!!) so just enjoy it :smile:

With regards to books, I would recommend seeing what the library has and having a flick through before you buy anything. So many people make the mistake of jumping straight in and buying kumar and clarke when in reality it's only really as useful as a hefty doorstop until you reach the clinical years! But I would recommend having a flick through Gray's Anatomy as well as Moore and Agur, have a look at Rang and Dale for pharmacology (although it's possibly a bit complicated), apart from that the 'At A Glance' series served me extremely well!
Got A*AA and going to study medicine at Plymouth! So happy!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Neostigmine
:woo: Congrats! How are you celebrating?

Sorry didnt see your reply. I actually still havent done anything to celebrate 😕.
Reply 89
Original post by violin101
Made it to UCL despite technically missing my offer, I'm liking all this talk of sleep - feeling exhausted!

I'm going to UCL too!! I am so excited!!
Going to Imperial!! :h: Anyone going as well? (any other london medics out there?) :colondollar:
Is it just the content that's greater in first year medicine compared to a-level, or do exams completely stretch your knowledge with application questions like they did in a-level biology?
Yay Southampton here I come :h: I still haven't celebrated. I don't think its suck in yet...
Reply 93
Original post by DCMed96
Going to Imperial!! :h: Anyone going as well? (any other london medics out there?) :colondollar:

Going to King's :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by DCMed96

Barts! :tongue:
Original post by Mel1312
Yay Southampton here I come :h: I still haven't celebrated. I don't think its suck in yet...

Congratulations!
I'm just going into my third year at Southampton, let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by kes1996
Going to King's :biggrin:

Original post by Clubba
Barts! :tongue:

If you guys don't mind, PM me and we can chat and start from there! :smile: Would be really great if we can meet up in real life via TSR :P
Original post by DCMed96
If you guys don't mind, PM me and we can chat and start from there! :smile: Would be really great if we can meet up in real life via TSR :P

I got into kings too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by science-oliver
Is it just the content that's greater in first year medicine compared to a-level, or do exams completely stretch your knowledge with application questions like they did in a-level biology?

In my experience the content jump is huge, you'll be used to recapping things multiple times whereas that will be a lot more difficult in uni. The content is obviously more difficult too but I don't think any of it is too taxing; I personally wasn't given any clinical application questions or anything similar until I hit the clinical phases but it definite varies by uni - for example PBL is much more clinically relevant so may use applied knowledge to a greater extent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Got into Barts, well done everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending