The Student Room Group

What's everyone doing at AS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jasaron
I've just finished my GCSEs, so I can only tell you what I've learned from my substantial research on applying to study law at university. I'm studying English literature, history, maths and economics at AS. I think for law, it's important to choose rigorous essay-based subjects, but for Oxbridge it's important to choose a science or a language to showcase some degree of academic breadth.

I would recommend not taking law, sociology, politics etc at A Level, because they're considered somewhat 'soft', and would weaken your application. People will tell you to take whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is that law is incredibly competitive, and any weakness in your application could be the difference in getting an interview and not getting an interview.

Also, take a look into universities other than Oxbridge. Oxford and Cambridge only have 16 and 20 percent acceptance rates respectively, so there's a good chance that you and I won't get in. That being said, there are about 15 universities that are worth studying law at, so you should look into them too. I'm personally looking at LSE, UCL, Durham and Warwick.

In regards to your law application as a whole: make sure you actually want to study law. Read books on it, go and get legal work experience. Make sure you're not applying to study law because it looks good or because it'll please your parents. I've recently spent a week in court, observing trials and speaking to solicitors. This has pushed me to a career in law. However, you don't need to do a law degree to become a lawyer; you can do any degree and do a GDL to turn your degree into a QLD. This means that you should do whatever degree you'll enjoy, and then become a lawyer later on if you'd like to.

If you'd like a good book to read, I'd recommend The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham. I'd also recommend getting involved in any debating or public speaking experience you can, as it's important in law to be able to verbally argue your opinions (especially at Oxbridge's tutorials/supervisions). Finally, I'd encourage you to take a look at the Pathways to Law course. I'll be applying there next year, and it seems to be a very good course if neither of your parents attended university.

Best of luck in your GCSEs, aim for all A*s, and let me know if you need any help or advice in the future.

Thank you so much for your extremely throrough reply :biggrin: I will definitely be checking out the links you have provided - I am going to be doing work experience at the Old Bailey, I have a mentor at Clifford Chance and do MUN etc. so I'm serious about law. I'm thinking of French, Geography, History and Government & Politics (seeing as Politics is the fourth subject I figured it wouldn't be too 'soft') What do you think? - Once again thank you for you advice, it's much appreciated :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully Economics, History, Psychology and Photography, but if I miss out on the grades for any of them, I'm going to save myself the pain of the teachers finding out if we're capable and switch to english lit
I'll be studying...
Maths
Further maths
French
Economics
Physics
Oh and these aren't so I can study maths at Oxford; these are for the street cred. :u:
Original post by Ananya._c
Thank you so much for your extremely throrough reply :biggrin: I will definitely be checking out the links you have provided - I am going to be doing work experience at the Old Bailey, I have a mentor at Clifford Chance and do MUN etc. so I'm serious about law. I'm thinking of French, Geography, History and Government & Politics (seeing as Politics is the fourth subject I figured it wouldn't be too 'soft':wink: What do you think? - Once again thank you for you advice, it's much appreciated :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, you're serious about practicing law. Practicing law and studying law are quite different, so I'd really recommend reading legal books and looking into jurisprudence. Your A Levels are fine, I don't see an AS in politics being an issue.
Maths
Further Maths
Business Studies
Fine Art
Law (self taught)
Reply 45
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Geography
hopefully maths, biology, history and philosophy

if i fail one subject miserably then i'll probably swap it with english lit
oh and our school makes us do general studies (is this with every school or?)
Original post by patronusleviosa
hopefully maths, biology, history and philosophy

if i fail one subject miserably then i'll probably swap it with english lit
oh and our school makes us do general studies (is this with every school or?)

No not everyone has to, we certainly don't which I'm pleased about because it's not recognised as a qualification in a lot of places
Original post by ceremonials
No not everyone has to, we certainly don't which I'm pleased about because it's not recognised as a qualification in a lot of places

yeah true, our school just makes us study it so it fills up our timetables
Original post by patronusleviosa
yeah true, our school just makes us study it so it fills up our timetables

oh to like stop people wasting time with frees ahhh sneaky
Reply 50
Business Studies
Economics
ICT Applied
Media Studies
English lit, History, Psychology and Film studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology chemistry maths and German. Have already started revision, hope everyone finds their exams easy ! :smile:
English literature and language (combined), Maths, Spanish and French :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Jasaron
Another prospective Oxbridge student! Hi.

I'm going to apply for law at Oriel, Oxford. Best of luck doing 2 sciences, I've heard they're particularly different to their GCSE versions. Have you thought about which college you want to apply for at either Ox or Cam?

Absolute legend, Oriel's a fab place, remember taking people round for open day just over a month ago and we did seem to have a pretty decent law section in the library
Eng Lit, History, RS and G&P
Original post by BEARichards
French, Spanish, Psychology and Government and Politics!

Anyone else doing two languages?

I am doing French and SPanish as well
Original post by glimmers
I am doing French and SPanish as well

I'm doing French and Spanish too :smile:
Really can't wait to start sixth form- I mean we can finally decide what we want to study for the first time in our academic life . Undertaking Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Economics with aspirations of attending Oxford to either study maths and statistics or economics. A reply would be very much appreciated as I'm new to this site. Ohh and before I forget, goodluck to you all for your GCSE results and hope we all get the grades we deserve😀😀😀
Original post by Charles Adjei
Really can't wait to start sixth form- I mean we can finally decide what we want to study for the first time in our academic life . Undertaking Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Economics with aspirations of attending Oxford to either study maths and statistics or economics. A reply would be very much appreciated as I'm new to this site. Ohh and before I forget, goodluck to you all for your GCSE results and hope we all get the grades we deserve😀😀😀

I know, finally we get a choice! It's mad how we've had 11 years of not choosing subjects and suddenly, we leave year 11 and we get given this choice! :biggrin: but then again, you're treated more like an adult. I wish you good luck next week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest