The Student Room Group

Hear what our M&S School Leavers have to say about a career in retail management.

Received your A Level results and still not sure what you’d like to achieve next? Still got a million questions going through your mind?

Not so long ago, school leavers James, Amy, and Scott were going through the same thing, and they chose to join the M&S School Leaver Programme.

James went to uni for 1 year after getting his results; "I remember that at the end I didn't want to sit in a classroom any longer".

Scott joined the scheme 18 months ago and is now a Commercial Manager in M&S Camberley.

Amy, says her "Mum had worked at M&S for 12 years so I had and idea of them as an employer. I completed my A levels - I am such a doer, I hated school."

Do you have questions you’d like to ask them? Ask us here and hear that on-the-job insight that could help you get the role you’ve been looking for.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you buy many clothes from M&S?
Original post by Eux
Do staff get discounts on Percy Pigs?

Haha yes!
Original post by N-R-G
Did you buy many clothes from M&S?

Hi there!

School Leavers get 20% off clothes, food and more as part of the M&S team.

Amy says "To me the brand has totally evolved, I love wearing M&S clothes. It's really changed over the past few years."
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey M&S

What A-Levels did the guys do, and what inspired them to chose M&S?
How did they find out about the scheme? were they looking at a uni route too? How did the application process and assessment go? Tips to pass onto me and other TSR members?!

Also, what does their career progression look like? How far have they come since joining?

What's the biggest thing they've learned - professionally and personally?
Original post by Eux
I'm intrigued. Tell me more.

Well not only do you get 20% discount on any and all relatives of Percy, but you'll get to see him everyday! What more could you want?
Original post by 8thwunder
Hey M&S

How did they find out about the scheme? were they looking at a uni route too? How did the application process and assessment go? Tips to pass onto me and other TSR members?!

Also, what does their career progression look like? How far have they come since joining?

Thanks for the great questions! We've asked our school leavers - Hopefully we've covered them all :smile:

They all did different subjects. The A levels you’ve studied or the grades you’ve got aren’t as important as your personality, enthusiasm and potential to be a great leader. These skills are what Amy, Anna, James, Henry, and Scott all have and it’s what makes then brilliant Commercial and Store Managers.

How did they find out about the scheme? Were they looking at a uni route too?

Anna - My Mum had worked for M&S for 12 years so I had an idea of them as an employer. I was the only one in my class who didn’t go to University.

James I went to uni for 1 year but shouldn’t have. I left and spent time researching programmes that I could access straight from school, which helped me find M&S.

How did the application process and assessment go?

James - After my interview I’ve learnt that you need to be confident. Hold a presence, do some background research and don’t try to be someone you’re not.

Henry - Ultimately for me it was a very positive experience. I wouldn’t regret it at all. I have a plan for myself, I am driven and I’ve learned to be resilient.

Tips to pass onto me and other TSR members?

Amy Being true to yourself is really important. Don’t let others decide what’s right for you. We can’t all be the same. There’s a personality culture at M&S.

Scott Realise that you don’t have to have a degree and that you will still get the same place as a graduate in 18 months time.

Anna - The M&S scheme is designed for you to achieve more. It’s an accelerated programme that helps you go further, faster. So if you’re ambitious, it’s tailor made for you. You have to work hard but you get from the scheme whatever you’re prepared to put in.

Anna Managing people older than me was difficult at the beginning. This scheme has taught me that if you’re determined and vocal on what you want, you can do it in the end.

Scott My first idea was that the company was quite old-fashioned. But I’ve learnt that it’s actually completely the opposite. Over the last 3 years the business has made loads of investments in innovation it is the next generation, and a very different business to work for.

Henry I’ve learnt that you have to tell yourself how can I do this. My confidence boosted when I realised I could actually do it, when I knew I had the job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hello M&S,
I am actually living in France and I shall be passingmy Baccalaureate (equivalent to the English A-levels) in June 2016but I do have the British nationality. Can I still apply for theM&S School Leaver Programme?
I really want to come to England to work and live butwith this particular scenario I wasn't sure if it was possible.
I would be very grateful for your help please,
Cecile
P�h\g
How much is the starting salary - I only ask as with an ordinary apprenticeship the weekly pay isn't even enough to cover the cost of bus fares, lunch and a driving lesson.
Original post by Cecile99
Hello M&S,
I am actually living in France and I shall be passingmy Baccalaureate (equivalent to the English A-levels) in June 2016but I do have the British nationality. Can I still apply for theM&S School Leaver Programme?
I really want to come to England to work and live butwith this particular scenario I wasn't sure if it was possible.
I would be very grateful for your help please,
Cecile
P�h\g

Hi there, yes you can still apply for our school leaver scheme - good luck!
Original post by Minionmum
How much is the starting salary - I only ask as with an ordinary apprenticeship the weekly pay isn't even enough to cover the cost of bus fares, lunch and a driving lesson.

Hello, our school leaver starting annual pay is £18k - rising to £26K on appointment.
Hi guys, good news! Our school leaver scheme applications have just opened. You can find out more information and apply here: careers.marksandspencer.com
(edited 8 years ago)
Management Scheme for School Leavers

Amy is a Commercial Manager in one of our largest stores. We asked her why she joined the M&S Management Scheme for School Leavers:

“I wanted to make the most of my drive and ambition. But going to uni wasn’t the right path for me. So I looked around for other opportunities. The M&S School Leaver Management Scheme was the best alternative. It’s really enabled me to make the most of my potential. I’ve learned how to inspire others as my managers inspired me and the great thing is, I can be myself.”

Join the M&S Management Scheme for School Leavers and, like Amy, you could be running a £multi-million M&S department in just 18 months.

We’re open for applications now and right up to Friday 29 January 2016.

Apply here: http://careers.marksandspencer.com/school-leavers
After the scheme, is job guaranteed? Or is there possibility in being left with no qualifications and nothing, also once appointed after scheme what are future prospects in earning more then £26k?
Original post by All Wagers
After the scheme, is job guaranteed? Or is there possibility in being left with no qualifications and nothing, also once appointed after scheme what are future prospects in earning more then £26k?

After completion of your 12 - 18 months training, you will be appointed into a live Retail Manager role with responsibility for running your own business unit. We offer ongoing training and development, meaning that where you take your career is really down to you, but the sky is the limit in terms of opportunities internally.
Reply 15
if you have applied to the management scheme for 2016, if and when are you likely to hear back?
Original post by daiskow
if you have applied to the management scheme for 2016, if and when are you likely to hear back?

Hi there! Our school leaver scheme closes Sunday 17th January, so we're expecting to get back to everyone over the next few weeks. Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by M&S Careers team
Hi there! Our school leaver scheme closes Sunday 17th January, so we're expecting to get back to everyone over the next few weeks. Good luck!

okay! I thought it applications had to be in on the 9th of December and we would hear back in a couple of weeks, was the application date extended?
Original post by daiskow
okay! I thought it applications had to be in on the 9th of December and we would hear back in a couple of weeks, was the application date extended?

Hi there, yes our the deadline for applications has been extended so you should hear as soon as we have had time to process all applications. Good luck!
When does this scheme start? And if we were offered a place, what's the timescale like in terms of committing to it? I mean just in terms of results day and deciding on Uni's etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending