The Student Room Group

Ancient History question

I am considering Ancient History for A-Level, however, I would like a question answered first.

Basically, I took History for (I)GCSE. My main strength in the subject is the SOURCE material stuff.

My question is: Does "Ancient History" involve using sources? Or is it 100% pure knowledge/recall?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Anyone?
You'll be pleased to know that yes, it does involve sources at both AS and A2 level. Currently, this is one source question and one essay question at AS level and two essay questions at A2 level. The source question at AS usually gives you a source (or more than one) and asks you questions about it, whereas the essay questions don't give you any sources, but expect you to use them in your answer.

Does that make sense? I feel it wasn't a particularly good answer!!
Reply 3
Original post by Classics_Teacher
You'll be pleased to know that yes, it does involve sources at both AS and A2 level. Currently, this is one source question and one essay question at AS level and two essay questions at A2 level. The source question at AS usually gives you a source (or more than one) and asks you questions about it, whereas the essay questions don't give you any sources, but expect you to use them in your answer.

Does that make sense? I feel it wasn't a particularly good answer!!

Nothing wrong with your answer, and thanks.

Just another question - I'm particularly interested in Ancient Egyptions, and also Aztecs, and Medieval History (although the latter 2 may not count as "Ancient" - or do they?).
However, most syllabuses I've seen for Ancient History deal with Greeks and Romans. Are Egyptions/Aztecs/Medieval on any syllabuses? Or would that be overlapping into something like Archaeology?
Unfortunately not. I too would have been interested in the Egyptians, but that seems to be only studied in Archaeology at A-Level (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure OCR are the only ancient history specification now).

So yes, am afraid it's just Greeks and Romans!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending