The Student Room Group

Master Study with a Job?

Hey all,
Pretty new around here so go easy on me :wink:

I'm currently going into my final year of Open University study, and considering doing a Masters of some sort. However, I'd really like to do it while working and have them both integrated.

Please note, I don't mean studying part time separately while working (as I currently am), but rather would like a job position that incorporates a masters study with it.

I've been studying part time while working full time for a while now and while I enjoy it, I dislike the disconnect between my study and the job role.

Can anyone help point me in the direction of sites to look at for information/listings of these, or even what the technical term is?

Equally if this isn't possible and I've just made it up then let me know!
Original post by LordAnubis15
Hey all,

I'm currently going into my final year of Open University study, and considering doing a Masters of some sort. However, I'd really like to do it while working and have them both integrated.

Please note, I don't mean studying part time separately while working (as I currently am), but rather would like a job position that incorporates a masters study with it.

I've been studying part time while working full time for a while now and while I enjoy it, I dislike the disconnect between my study and the job role.

Can anyone help point me in the direction of sites to look at for information/listings of these, or even what the technical term is?

I've heard of people doing so and so I think it's possible but I don't know where to find that info-sorry :colondollar:
But I would suggest asking your course teachers about it
I think you can only do this sort of thing through an employer. I know of people doing PhDs like this. Your best bet is to get a job and negotiate for the masters degree to be built into your contract.
Original post by alleycat393
I think you can only do this sort of thing through an employer. I know of people doing PhDs like this. Your best bet is to get a job and negotiate for the masters degree to be built into your contract.

Agree. The only people I know who have got a masters through their job have done it as professional development. For example, many PGCEs and NASENCO (special needs teaching) courses have masters level credits, so you can top these up to a full masters by studying extra modules. Even so, the essay writing and studying would happen in their own time of course. As far as I am aware, I don't think a fully on-the-job masters where you actually get paid for time writing assignments exists.
Agreed. I think writing time can be negotiated depending on your relationship with your manager but the general situation tends to be that you do the assignments in your own time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LordAnubis15
Hey all,

Hi fellow Open Uni student! :biggrin: What are you studying?

I've just finished 7 years of studying part time with the OU and working full time in an unrelated role! I dislike the disconnect too - I would advise you investigate your chosen topic/sector and see if there are any roles being advertised that include further study or the possibility of funding - i.e. career development loan.

For me, I'd have to take a pay cut to work in my chosen sector so I'm keeping the day job and studying a masters part time at brick uni. Here's to hoping the future for both of us gets less disconnected! :biggrin:

Good luck with your final year! It goes pretty fast and you'll soon be yearning for another 'Education Materials' box to be delivered! :wink:

Michelle -x-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending