The Student Room Group

Reference for an independent applicant?

I started at university in 2013 and ended up dropping out in April 2015.
Now I'm thinking of applying for a course starting in Sep 2016, but I'm not sure who to ask to write my reference.
I could ask my ex-university tutor? But he never really knew me very well, and I don't know what he would say about my ability to handle higher education, given that I failed a lot of uni exams and then eventually gave up...
I could probably ask the teacher who wrote my previous reference two years ago, but obviously he hasn't taught me and has barely seen me for two years so I don't know if that would be appropriate, though he would undoubtedly still say nice things.
Alternatively, there's my manager at the charity shop I volunteer at? She's the closest thing I've had to an employer, good for job application references, but less so for academic ones.
Who am I meant to ask??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(Side note: I'm 20 now and will be when I submit the application, but by the time the course starts I'll be 21. Does that make me a mature student or not? (I don't feel very mature...))
Reply 1
I've just gone through this process myself :smile:
I asked my original referee from college and it seemed to do the trick. He asked for a few phrases from my employer so he could put in something about the good things I did in my time between dropping out and reapplying.

At 21 you'll technically be a mature student. I'll be 23 when I start and I don't feel very mature myself either!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending