The Student Room Group

EDM thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jasminwinthrop
For anyone and everyone who lives and loves electronic dance music, what are you into? Genre wise, techno, trance, house, trap? Any DJ's you recommend or have seen? Festival experiences? Do you mix yourself? Would be cool to actually talk to someone who shares a passion with this kind of thing... And give me clarity it's not just me 😌😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

some good mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/theglitchmob/the-glitch-mob-more-voltage
https://soundcloud.com/owslaofficial/the-m-machine-just-like-a-mix-1

Glitch hop, Trap, future house, Future Bass and DnB <3
I'm in it for that sweet synth, bass and beats only EDM provides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCof0WUppRE
Original post by Imperion
Diplo, Flume, Oliver Heldens and most of the artists on Monstercat (well at least those who're also DJ :tongue:)

You have great taste, my friend.
Original post by HeskeyLAD
You have great taste, my friend.

:biggrin: I think Flume's hyperparadise was the first future bass track I heard (even though I didn't know future bass was a thing then :tongue: )
Original post by thelexisquiche
some good mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/theglitchmob/the-glitch-mob-more-voltage
https://soundcloud.com/owslaofficial/the-m-machine-just-like-a-mix-1

Glitch hop, Trap, future house, Future Bass and DnB <3
I'm in it for that sweet synth, bass and beats only EDM provides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCof0WUppRE

Mr. Bill :colone:
Original post by Hashim123
If you're on Facebook, Your EDM sounds like the kinda page for you.

Speaking from experience, they do spread utter bullsh*t from time to time. They also don't cite original sources most of the time, literally copy/pasting articles of other media.
Its funny because I listen to a lot of "electronic dance music" but I cant bring myself to say "EDM".

To me EDM evokes images of kid americans listening to ****ty over produced prog house at expensive one day festivals, instead of what it means to me; jungle, 4x4, jump up, 2-step & speed garage, etc being blasted in illegal raves, carnivals and underground club nights.
(edited 8 years ago)
:biggrin: I think Flume's hyperparadise was the first future bass track I heard (even though I didn't know future bass was a thing then :tongue: )

Future Bass is becoming much more prevalent nowadays, especially over the last 2 years. I've seen a massive growth since 2014 in this genre though.

Flume is by far and away my favourite artist, the pitch bending mechanism he uses and his unique, irregular drum arrangement separates him from everyone else. You should watch his interviews back from when he was 19, the guy was so talented back then too. Unreal producer, one of the very best in the limelight and deservedly so.
Speaking from experience, they do spread utter bullsh*t from time to time. They also don't cite original sources most of the time, literally copy/pasting articles of other media.

I wouldn't know tbh, I just liked it for a period of time, saw a lot of good stuff I figured EDM lovers would love, and then unliked it when I was cleaning up my news feed.
Future Bass is becoming much more prevalent nowadays, especially over the last 2 years. I've seen a massive growth since 2014 in this genre though.

Flume is by far and away my favourite artist, the pitch bending mechanism he uses and his unique, irregular drum arrangement separates him from everyone else. You should watch his interviews back from when he was 19, the guy was so talented back then too. Unreal producer, one of the very best in the limelight and deservedly so.

It deserves to :biggrin:

Flume's style is beast. Really love stay close and paper thin :tongue: The bolded part reminds me of Noisia :tongue: And Noisia reminds me of Mau5 :biggrin:

Mr. Bill :colone:

Yasssss settling for mediocrity is a great album. so is IRL
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Its funny because I listen to a lot of "electronic dance music" but I cant bring myself to say "EDM".

To me EDM evokes images of kid americans listening to ****ty over produced prog house at expensive one day festivals, instead of what it means to me; jungle, 4x4, jump up, 2-step & speed garage, etc being blasted in illegal raves, carnivals and underground club nights.

EDM's too vast to just be that but I agree with over produced prog house :tongue:
Original post by thelexisquiche
Yasssss settling for mediocrity is a great album. so is IRL

Don't forget the collaborations :woo:

@HeskeyLAD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B9NOnOGboc

I prefer the original remix by Flume but nonetheless good! :smile:

yesss the collabs are gold

FUTURE BASSS
Original post by Hashim123
If you're on Facebook, Your EDM sounds like the kinda page for you.

Already liked. I like the new informative stuff they release, although they use old headlines to get more clicks which sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Man.bear.pig
diplo's mad; I even made a thread dedicated to a Major Lazer song, Lean On :bhangra: It's been on replay for a while now.
ah eveyrone is talking about Flume so I kinda ignore him even tho I know some stuff still.
I was out clubbin last nite n was in a daze but made sure to rem Disclosure ft Sam Smith called Latch, it's mental. Not too recent but still I felt it.

@jasminwinthrop
I dont really like edm because it's so vast and while everything kinda sounds the same it's also rapidly progressing with pioneering. It's also too condensed with subgenres like there's like 100. Too much to keep up with but yes while raving I enjoy the sound and vibe. Idc to rem artists or songs unless a tune feels special to me. Ambient stuff is great. Trip hop as well.

I mainly stick to classics like jungle, and I'm quite unbiased with drumn bass and dubstep, as long as it's reggae based. Garage house is cool too.

Moombahton is reggae infused house at 110, check it out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNacho63
atm Gareth Emery, W&W, Tritonal, Vicetone, Sick Individuals, Armin Van Buuren, Hardwell, Andrew Rayel, Heatbeat, Aly & Fila, Cosmic Gate, Bryan Kearney, Dannic, Dyro, Standerwick, Luke Bond, Tom Swoon and iIan Bluestone.

[video="youtube;u2aHaXMRVAI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2aHaXMRVAI[/video]

Man hardwell is just incredible. And Armin is class... His A State of Trance podcasts 💖💋💖💋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)

I sort of get you. It's become mainstream in some cases which sucks. Take early 00's tiesto. Trance classics like Adagio for Strings, Flight 643, Nyana... Now when he releases house like Wasted EVERYONE listens to it and claims to love Tiesto. Like no, you don't. Sit down and shut up. Hahah x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I listen to most artists on Monstercat and quite a lot on Suicidesheep/KoalaKontrol. Trap, DnB, glitch hop, electronic, future bass and chillstep are the genres I listen to most... EDM is literally life. Draper, Mako, Vicetone, Razihel, Krewella, Illenium, Aero Chord, Elephante, Laszlo, The chainsmokers, Crywolf, WRLD, Tristam, Trivecta, Puppet, Fox Stevenson, Thefatrat, Rogue, Hellberg, kygo, Alesso, Tritonal, Vanic.... Too many!
I'm also very obsessed with EDEN/The Eden Project, but he doesn't really fit into a category...
Original post by Boundless_x
I listen to most artists on Monstercat and quite a lot on Suicidesheep/KoalaKontrol. Trap, DnB, glitch hop, electronic, future bass and chillstep are the genres I listen to most... EDM is literally life. Draper, Mako, Vicetone, Razihel, Krewella, Illenium, Aero Chord, Elephante, Laszlo, The chainsmokers, Crywolf, WRLD, Tristam, Trivecta, Puppet, Fox Stevenson, Thefatrat, Rogue, Hellberg, kygo, Alesso, Tritonal, Vanic.... Too many!
I'm also very obsessed with EDEN/The Eden Project, but he doesn't really fit into a category...

:O When was the last time I found a Vanic fan ? :tongue:

Ayy, another member of the #MonstercatFamily :biggrin:

Spoiler

:O When was the last time I found a Vanic fan ? :tongue:

Ayy, another member of the #MonstercatFamily :biggrin:

Spoiler

Vanic too? Deon Custom as well? I like Vanic better, but it's safe to we have much in common :danceboy:

Quick Reply

Latest