The Student Room Group

why do science students they are so much better than humanities students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Moonstruck16
Let me rephrase that, have you ever started your A-levels? Are you preaching about stuff that is beyond your life experiences and education level?

If you are beyond that age, I mean no offence :biggrin: It's just that there are many people on TSR (they are popping up in this thread) who are still in like year 11 but feel like they know everything about university, graduate life and beyond when they still haven't started sixth-form :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have finished my A Levels.
Reply 61
Original post by cacra
If society needs something, society will pay for it.

Exactly. People pay to attend the theatre, to buy books. Society has deemed these worth paying for, and therefore worthy of the same respect that is afforded to STEM pursuits.
Original post by Maker
Science graduates have to subsidise arts/humanities graduates because many A/H graduates will never earn enough to pay off their student loans.

This isn't really a fair comment as this is fairly balanced with the fact that Arts degrees cost a lot less than Science degrees due to the increased contact time and equipment costs.Arts degree students subsidise STEM students for the cost of their courses, which can often be a lot more than £9000.
Reply 63
Original post by SBKA
Exactly. People pay to attend the theatre, to buy books. Society has deemed these worth paying for, and therefore worthy of the same respect that is afforded to STEM pursuits.

Actually you are wrong.

Government gives a huge subsidy to theaters because demand for many productions isn't enough to keep them going.

How many English graduates become successful authors? 0.01%?
Reply 64
Original post by RonnieRJ
You're exaggerating, no one is going to look down on you because you picked different subjects. Having said that, I've seen someone comment that humanities subjects are harder than science, but that's pretty wrong. Although people have different opinions on what's easy and what's difficult, the one main thing is that science is very objective and humanities are subjective. Therefore in humanities you get marks for most valid points you make, but in sciences (especially maths) there is only one valid answer, so if you don't get that, you won't get the marks. Even back at the simple GCSE level I actually had to learn the science and then could bs my way through history and English. Nothing wrong with doing it at a level though, I'm sure the content is still difficult

It varies from person to person, but I actually prefer having one answer that I must learn. It seems that in some humanities exams - especially History and English - you are at the mercy of the examiner.

Really, difficulty boils down to the type of person you are and how your brain works. A STEM student may find a humanity subject extremely difficult, and vice versa.
Reply 65
Original post by Dalek1099
This isn't really a fair comment as this is fairly balanced with the fact that Arts degrees cost a lot less than Science degrees due to the increased contact time and equipment costs.Arts degree students subsidise STEM students for the cost of their courses, which can often be a lot more than £9000.

Very true.

This is partly why the grade requirements for humanities are lower than STEM subjects. Unis love humanities students.
Reply 66
Do languages count as humanity subjects?

I think they're pretty useful.
Original post by Maker
Science graduates have to subsidise arts/humanities graduates because many A/H graduates will never earn enough to pay off their student loans.

<<< Standing proud as a Humanities graduate paying off a significant amount of my student loan a year after graduating.
Original post by labby
Okay so I do all humanities at A level. My science teachers told me I could have done those subjects if I had wanted to but I enjoyed History/Literature much more. The students doing sciences and maths at my college seem to look down on those of us who chose humanities as if are subjects are less worthy. This is despite the fact that at the end of lower sixth many of them struggled writing a coherent essay because the as course hadn't required it. I hate it when people say sciences are the only useful subjects - we can keep designing new technology and helping people live forever but what's the point unless life makes you happy. Many people get enjoyment out of reading, music and just being able to communicate with others.

Because STEM > arts and humanities in almost every important aspect of life
My degree means I'm always in the middle of this :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
F****** hell
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by cacra
Actually you are wrong.

Government gives a huge subsidy to theaters because demand for many productions isn't enough to keep them going.

How many English graduates become successful authors? 0.01%?

Who are Governments elected by? The people. Besides, Governments subsidise scientific research, I fail to see your point.

First, one would have to define success. One could state that even if the book is only bought by one other person, it is still a success. Also, how many natural sciences graduates become successful scientists?
Reply 72
Talk me through why you feel the need to tell us that? You are paying of a loan you chose to take out, you shouldn't feel the need for self praise by doing what any normal person would do.. Humanities half wit i'm guessing..
Original post by XxSophie01xX
<<< Standing proud as a Humanities graduate paying off a significant amount of my student loan a year after graduating.
Original post by TedSB
Talk me through why you feel the need to tell us that? You are paying of a loan you chose to take out, you shouldn't feel the need for self praise by doing what any normal person would do.. Humanities half wit i'm guessing..

She was stating it as proof that humanities students can pay off their loan. It was in answer to a previous comment.
Original post by The two eds
Because STEM > arts and humanities in almost every important aspect of life

Can you just imagine a world full of people with your mentality. What a dull world in more ways than one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by SBKA
Who are Governments elected by? The people. Besides, Governments subsidise scientific research, I fail to see your point.

I have certainly never voted for government subsidies.

You are a fool to think that in a FPTP system every government policy enjoys majority support.

First, one would have to define success. One could state that even if the book is only bought by one other person, it is still a success. Also, how many natural sciences graduates become successful scientists?

A great many judging by the average wage.
Original post by seanfm
stem students tend to have poor social skills.

u wot m8? :colonhash:
Because some of them are tits, particularly on TSR.

And I say that as someone who is wasting time on TSR today because this thermocycler is taking for ever.
I find humanities subjects to be harder than science.

It's all down to personal preference and individual learning styles.

Can we end this stupid argument now? Please.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Can you just imagine a world full of people with your mentality. What a dull world in more ways than one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've already got enough problems, dullness isn't one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending