The Student Room Group

Lower belly fat not shifting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Tubby Jr
u mad fam

Fammmm
Original post by April Barlow
That's probably a big factor in it - it's not causing me any problems being there though and I'm in no rush. I used to use MyFitnessPal (ever heard of it?) and it used to log macro-nutrients and such things, but I found it to be too much of a nightmare when other people were cooking for me and I'd have to ask exactly what I'd been given and blablabla. In the end I kinda just gave it up :P

To be fair, at 16 you don't need to count macros

For sure, make healthy food choices where possible

& it'll develop in time
Original post by ChrisHarris1

For sure, make healthy food choices where possible

& it'll develop in time

Thank you for your help!
Sit on a decline bench and do sit ups, with and without a weight across ya chest.
And I feel your pain though, I used to have an ironboard stomach now post-baby I look like a kangaroo fml
Reply 25
I've heard that if I reduce my calories too much I won't lose any fat as my body will hold onto the fat I have. Like I say, I don't overeat calories-wise and I'm not sure how much more I can reduce my calorie intake. What's the minimum intake (without being unhealthy) you'd suggest for a 16 year old girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only way to lose fat is to eat fewer calories than you use so your body has to use up the fat it has to make up for the fewer calories, that is how all weight lost works.

Exercising will make no difference to your fat levels as long as you eat more calories than you need.

The usual intake for women is 2000 calories a day but that is just an average and will vary depending on your age, size and activity.

Its important to not compromise your nutrition in order to loose fat because you need minerals and protein to grow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Read the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

You can't spot reduce fat, if you're losing weight off everywhere else but your stomach, that's a genetic disposition and it will be the last to be lost. Mine personally is my hips, my hips don't lieeeee
Original post by GangBang
Sit on a decline bench and do sit ups, with and without a weight across ya chest.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
The only way to lose fat is to eat fewer calories than you use so your body has to use up the fat it has to make up for the fewer calories, that is how all weight lost works.

Exercising will make no difference to your fat levels as long as you eat more calories than you need.

The usual intake for women is 2000 calories a day but that is just an average and will vary depending on your age, size and activity.

Its important to not compromise your nutrition in order to loose fat because you need minerals and protein to grow.

In all honesty, my health is more important to me anyway. If I don't feel good, I feel like I can't be bothered for anything (e.g. studying). Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Read the FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

You can't spot reduce fat, if you're losing weight off everywhere else but your stomach, that's a genetic disposition and it will be the last to be lost. Mine personally is my hips, my hips don't lieeeee

Hahaha, that last bit made me smile :smile: Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard that if I reduce my calories too much I won't lose any fat as my body will hold onto the fat I have. Like I say, I don't overeat calories-wise and I'm not sure how much more I can reduce my calorie intake. What's the minimum intake (without being unhealthy) you'd suggest for a 16 year old girl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe that's called broscience. Eat less carbs. If you do have pasta/rice make it brown
Original post by langlitz
I believe that's called broscience. Eat less carbs. If you do have pasta/rice make it brown

...Damn the internet and its broscience. Thanks for the advice!
Original post by langlitz

Whilst starvation mode to which the poster you quoted spoke of is a half truth but isn't really applicable to most.

Youve just given out pure broscience.

It's all in the calories OP. I linked to the FAQ for good reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw that you mentioned freelee? high carb works for her because when she says carbs she actually means she eats a **** ton of fruits and veggies (shes a vegan too). If you mean breads and pastas then low carb is the way to go. Saying that though it depends how much exercise you do and the type of exercise you are doing.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Whilst starvation mode to which the poster you quoted spoke of is a half truth but isn't really applicable to most.

Youve just given out pure broscience.

It's all in the calories OP. I linked to the FAQ for good reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what way is what I wrote broscience? Calorie counting to lose fat is so 1950's. Eat more vegetables, don't eat sugar and avoid simple carbs like white rice. Eat good quality fats (from things like fish and nuts). Eat meat or other sources of protein. It's really as simple as that.
Reply 35
I go to the gym for an hour everyday, lifting weights, doing core building exercises and cardio. For the past month I realise that I've gotten physically stronger and can push, pull and lift heavier weights, but I'm not burning fat. Can somebody explain this to me? Doesn't metabolism increase with muscle mass or is that a lie?
My upper abs are visible, but I have somewhat of a podge of fat in my lower belly area. I'll be honest and say my diet isn't great, but I don't overeat. I incorporate a lot of protein, but that's about as great as my diet goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fat loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise which is why you might not notice much change.
You should try to eat 500 less calories than your recommended amount everyday and try to have as little as sugar as possible.
Doing weights is very good because you burn more calories when you are not doing anything.
A high protein and low carb/fat diet will be good because the protein will be used on your muscles to repair so your body will burn fat.
It's actually normal to have a little extra fat there as a woman. We all have it.
Too many people are posting for me to give individual gratitude to, so thank you everyone xD
Reply 38
I go to the gym for an hour everyday, lifting weights, doing core building exercises and cardio. For the past month I realise that I've gotten physically stronger and can push, pull and lift heavier weights, but I'm not burning fat. Can somebody explain this to me? Doesn't metabolism increase with muscle mass or is that a lie?
My upper abs are visible, but I have somewhat of a podge of fat in my lower belly area. I'll be honest and say my diet isn't great, but I don't overeat. I incorporate a lot of protein, but that's about as great as my diet goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work out how many calories you expend
Work out how many calories you eat

Make sure you expend more than you eat.

It is not possible to focus fat loss on one place, you need to sort your diet out or spend more time in they gym.
Reply 39
Original post by ChrisHarris1

Always nice to see people giving terrible advice...

Ignore that post, count everything you eat and drink.

Quick Reply

Latest