The Student Room Group

Lower belly fat not shifting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RVNmax
I replied directly to the OP in the same post giving advice that couldn't be bettered given the information provided and the other posts. The problem with these threads is that every second person comes and spews misinformation that they've gathered throughout the course of their life so I decided to clarify it some things that are unfounded, as that is the biggest barrier to learning about health.
Why should I use credible sources. This is not a research project that I'm spending great time on. I'm not doing all the work for you, I just pointed you in the direction of the articles that explain what I saying to a better extent. I found these articles within a few seconds and first page of Googling. I think some do have links to journals by the way. It's not as if you referenced incredible sources either and given you hadn't heard of information that has picked up popularity in recent years it may be you who should conduct a bit more research before giving health advice.

Finally, it looks like you didn't read my links because I did link the articles that explained what I meant by 'harmful at high temperatures'. However, it wasn't my aim to give you exact details of temperatures as I was only showing you that it wasn't so clear for unsaturated fats to be the good ones and saturated to be the bad ones as you had implied in your post.

Though, since you now mentioned it, here are links which further provide details about temperatures and are probably more detailed than my previous ones.

Smoke Points are in Farhenheit - http://www.sarahwilson.com/2012/10/which-fats-should-i-be-eating/

This one is sceptical about the heating dangers in respect to Olive oil, but still provides good info. http://scienceornot.net/2012/09/15/is-it-safe-to-cook-with-olive-oil/

Well referenced, by no temperature details after a quick scan. http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/05/27/checking-your-oil-the-definitive-guide-to-cooking-with-fat/

Food for thought :biggrin:

The advice that I gave was sound I feel, in that it is fairly axiom, and so doesn't really need referencing. Usually don't follow health advice and just go off what I have been taught in education, as it is usually always misinformation in the papers etc., or just make a big thing out of an unrepresentative or tentative study. I go by the simple ideas of; sugars bad, saturated fats bad, low GI good high bad, salt bad, preservatives bad, micronutrients good!

I wouldn't think its fair to say that it is okay to eat sat fats though.
There is still significant agreement and strong physiological basis for avoiding saturated fats in that they are converted to cholesterol. Though, there mainly seems to be some conflict in the levels of cholesterol and likelihood of a cardiac incident. I don't know the specifics of the physiology of cholesterol and atheroslerosis, as it is all rather complex and specific.
Olive oil is supposed to be good for reducing levels of LDL, 'harmful cholesterol'?

I just mentioned references on your part as what you stated was quite contentious, in that it goes against what is said by the majority of the scientific community; doctors, scientists etc for a very long time. Thanks though for providing the information suggested more recently. I did read the information you initially provided, albeit quickly.

You added the importance of avoiding trans fats which I guess is important as many forget about.

The temperature thing in the final source you gave suggests that cooking it results in an increase in free radical content - which is very interesting and something that has never occurred to me before! Something I will have to look into.

Coconut oil is a craze at the moment for losing weight, endorsed by celebs and seems to be selling in Holland & B... Any thoughts on that product? (Can't seem to talk my parents away from the stuff!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
PRSOM for all your posts in this car crash thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha

only TSR http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PRSOM
Reply 82
Original post by RollerBall
Well this is all a bit ironic when you've come along and said this:
"The problem with these threads is that every second person comes and spews misinformation that they've gathered throughout the course of their life"

This is most of the reason why I decided to ask you to clarify what you were saying. You have previously said:
"whereas unsaturated fats are actually harmful at high temperatures".

And actually I do go around referencing - when I say references, I really do mean journals or expert opinions, not blogs - if somebody asks me for evidence regarding a scientific theory or point. Probably because I don't run around making baseless claims based on a few minutes of Googling and reading internet articles.

The burden of proof is a well established philosophical theory underpinning debates. There's obviously no scientific reference because it's philosophical (although it is mentioned heavily in books, and penned by philosophical authors in press/university discussions) - the fact you think such a well established concept is pathetic means I've obviously overestimated you.

I don't disagree that sat fats aren't bad, the evidence has slowly been coming out for a couple years that there's no link between dietary intake and serum levels of cholesterol (ditto for dietary cholesterol and serum levels). I just don't understand why you've then posted all this rubbish about burnt oils or used this to highlight why unsaturated fats are potentially worse than saturated fats or inherently bad.

I really don't understand what you're doing; in your last paragraph you've admitted you don't have any evidence, you haven't researched your position, you're contradicting your original stance in saying you haven't taken a stance but you still think it's important to bring up? Lolwut. You could substitute high temperature oils being bad for you with "Starvation mode" and change the links for other rubbish blogs and you'd be doing the exact same thing you're apparently not a fan of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: I mean 'I have now', not 'I have not' in the second sentence.

I do realise I made a mistake in that particular sentence. I have not edited it to be clear that it that I do not know that for sure. Saying that, I already explained the point of that sentence in my previous post and that I didn't know it. I appreciate for the sake of all readers that you've picked up on this but you have now raised the same point again for no reason.

I asked you for a reference, you didn't give it. You decided it was better to respond with reasoning. Good on you. That is what I did as well; you don't always need proof to raise something in a debate. I clarified at the time that it was from a few seconds of Googling. I was just raising an example of why a particular statement had no basis and why I think there might be a complete opposite case to be made.

Given that you did the same thing as me, you must realise by now that the reasoning was flawed. Even science is philosophical. The fact that you say evidence is now coming out about this and that when actually it is just debunking previous evidence shows it. Debates are philosophical, you're claiming to not raise a point because there isn't definite proof? That's a new one. You want to go on something simply because it's well established even though you've just seen well established things can't necessarily be relied upon. To me it's only about logic and given that the articles I found were explaining the concept there was no harm in me posting them; I never claimed they were proof of anything.

No, you can post that if you think it is wise as long as you're not arrogant about it being a fact.

I'm not disputing that. What I'm disputing is that people regularly cook oils to these high temperatures/use rancid oils and if these levels of free radicals released when cooking oil normally are actually harmful when ingested. I'm also disputing that this isn't a problem with all fats (most saturated fats actually have lower smoking points, using the articles he's originally posted).

It would be like me saying if you eat burnt toast it gives you cancer, ergo you should eat pita instead. I've asked him for clarification and any actual evidence, instead all I've got is aggression and contradictions. Without this, he's just as guilty as spreading misinformation as everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My aggression has stemmed from your arrogance and taunts. And yes, that is not a bad option, or another solution would be to be more careful and not burn the toast. As to move the discussion further, might deep frying foods lead towards those temperatures?

Original post by hellodave5
The advice that I gave was sound I feel, in that it is fairly axiom, and so doesn't really need referencing. Usually don't follow health advice and just go off what I have been taught in education, as it is usually always misinformation in the papers etc., or just make a big thing out of an unrepresentative or tentative study. I go by the simple ideas of; sugars bad, saturated fats bad, low GI good high bad, salt bad, preservatives bad, micronutrients good!

I wouldn't think its fair to say that it is okay to eat sat fats though.
There is still significant agreement and strong physiological basis for avoiding saturated fats in that they are converted to cholesterol. Though, there mainly seems to be some conflict in the levels of cholesterol and likelihood of a cardiac incident. I don't know the specifics of the physiology of cholesterol and atheroslerosis, as it is all rather complex and specific.
Olive oil is supposed to be good for reducing levels of LDL, 'harmful cholesterol'?

I just mentioned references on your part as what you stated was quite contentious, in that it goes against what is said by the majority of the scientific community; doctors, scientists etc for a very long time. Thanks though for providing the information suggested more recently. I did read the information you initially provided, albeit quickly.

You added the importance of avoiding trans fats which I guess is important as many forget about.

The temperature thing in the final source you gave suggests that cooking it results in an increase in free radical content - which is very interesting and something that has never occurred to me before! Something I will have to look into.

Coconut oil is a craze at the moment for losing weight, endorsed by celebs and seems to be selling in Holland & B... Any thoughts on that product? (Can't seem to talk my parents away from the stuff!)

Only as much as it's unfair to say you shouldn't eat saturated fats...
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/03march/pages/saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven.aspx
http://authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/

But of course, don't go the opposite direction, just don't be so afraid of them imo.

Haha yes, which reminds me that a mate of mine recently recommended coconut oil for brushing teeth that I need to look into...

When you hear someone recommend an oil as ‘heart healthy’ just know that doesn’t mean it’s a cure for heart disease. It simply means it is less harmful than some of your other choices.

That’s always the scary thing about recommendations. With everyone hearing about the benefits of cooking with coconut oil, pretty soon all of us Americans will be cooking everything in coconut oil (they way we moved from butter to olive oil) and we’ll end up with more heart disease because we slathered on too much! (Or we’ll decide donuts are healthy as long as they are fried in coconut oil.)
- http://www.thekitchenskinny.com/olive-oil-vs-coconut-oil/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RVNmax
I do realise I made a mistake in that particular sentence. I have not edited it to be clear that it that I do not know that for sure. Saying that, I already explained the point of that sentence in my previous post and that I didn't know it. I appreciate for the sake of all readers that you've picked up on this but you have now raised the same point again for no reason.

Good on you for being able to admit when you were wrong. You've already shown yourself to be against people spreading baseless misinformation in he fitness forum - at least now you're seeing how easy it is to be drawn into that trap

I asked you for a reference, you didn't give it. You decided it was better to respond with reasoning. Good on you. That is what I did as well; you don't always need proof to raise something in a debate. I clarified at the time that it was from a few seconds of Googling. I was just raising an example of why a particular statement had no basis and why I think there might be a complete opposite case to be made.

You were/are being fasicious. I cannot give you a reference for a philosophical point because there isn't an experiment or study that will prove it. If you wish to debate the burden of proof, make a new thread and I'll be happy to do so, however it has no place and is off-topic in here. When somebody asks for evidence regarding an observational fact it should be very easy to supply. Something, like, say, sat oils at high temperatures are bad for you.

(Basic principles: at what level are free radicals and oxidative species harmful to human ingestion, then at what point these levels are reached in saturated oils, as well as if ingestion of oil at this point is common and finally demonstration that these harmful levels are not present in other oils. Then you can use logic to link these statements together and prove your original point. You can't use "logic" as an excuse to avoid this)

Showing him sat fats aren't bad is good, and easily backed up with evidence. I just don't understand why you felt it relevant to make a poor case for the opposite, using this temperature rubbish. Can you not see how you are now guilty of exactly the same thing as the anti-sat fat brigade - using faulty evidence-less logic to "prove" something which has a tangible affect of altering dietary habits unnecessarily?

Given that you did the same thing as me, you must realise by now that the reasoning was flawed. Even science is philosophical. The fact that you say evidence is now coming out about this and that when actually it is just debunking previous evidence shows it. Debates are philosophical, you're claiming to not raise a point because there isn't definite proof? That's a new one. You want to go on something simply because it's well established even though you've just seen well established things can't necessarily be relied upon. To me it's only about logic and given that the articles I found were explaining the concept there was no harm in me posting them; I never claimed they were proof of anything.

Scientific debates are not philosophical. The only philosophy involved in science is the discussions around the truths, which this obviously is not. You don't seem to be grasping this so it's the last time I'll say it. In a scientific discussion, I don't bring up points without having a evidence basis for saying it - have you never written a scientific essay above GCSE? I wasn't using its pre-establishment as proof it is definitive either (I described it as a concept or theory - not fact - for a reason), only that your lack of understanding of the debate around it and calling it pathetic as a sign you are not well versed in it and therefore not well versed in debate.

It is not debunking previous evidence because there never was any strong scientific evidence that sat fats are bad for you. I don't stand behind scientific points without evidence for this very reason.

Logic is fine if you are working with objective facts (you'd first need to prove each of the initial statements otherwise you're making a logic cake with the wrong ingredients). You're not even using logic correctly, you're using reasoning which is different. I've certainly not seen you following any of the laws of validity.

Your subjective reasoning can be different to mine, they are subjective, but real world observations, following the scientific standard are closer to being objective. All evidence must be interpreted in relation to its stength but one unqualified man's evidence-less opinion on an Internet forum is obviously weak evidence.

No, you can post that if you think it is wise as long as you're not arrogant about it being a fact.

Great, so you've gone from being against people spreading misinformation to new trainees to saying it's absolutely fine as long as you're not arrogant.

My aggression has stemmed from your arrogance and taunts. And yes, that is not a bad option, or another solution would be to be more careful and not burn the toast. As to move the discussion further, might deep frying foods lead towards those temperatures?

Oh I see, you got annoyed that somebody pointed out you were posting contradictions and fallacies. I get people don't like to be told when they are wrong, but tough.

I'm not moving the discussion forward because it's pointless having a discussion with you. The problems I have with your argument are laid clear in my last shorter post which you've made no attempt to tackle (they question your initial claims, which if you cannot prove then your reasoning using these claims is faulty - This is how logic works ). It's going to consist of you making claims which on the surface sound like they might or may not be correct but refusing to provide evidence for it.

Sigh. Look kid, just because you don't reference things, or don't use points grounded in evidence doesn't mean it's new or I'm making stuff up. This is my last response to you because you're clearly not at the stage to have a proper discussion about anything scientific. I've already shown how your original point was wrong and your evidence is poor - now it's just descending into an explanation of how science, reasoning and logic works which I'm not interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 84
Do cardio+weight training with intermet fasting
Original post by Shueb95

What's the point in intermittent fasting? That's silly. Why not just eat better all the time? Instead of still having a crap diet and then starving yourself..
Original post by langlitz
What's the point in intermittent fasting? That's silly. Why not just eat better all the time? Instead of still having a crap diet and then starving yourself..

It's hardly starving yourself if you stick to an 8 hour window. If you absolutely can't do so, it just shows you have an utter lack of self control.
Reply 87
Original post by hellodave5
Women also tend to have higher levels of fat than men.
When people train, they also tend to massively increase the amount they eat too. I would just put on hold the other training and use the cross trainer and running machine for as long as possible.
Fats are good but are energy dense, but will make you feel satiated. Shouldn't make up more than about 30% of diet is usually said I think. Fats aren't a problem, as long as not bad fats like saturated. Carbs should make up majority of diet - going for mainly complex carbs like wholegrain - but simple carbs like Jelly Babies for just before or after exercise. Protein is supposed to be good to have just after exercise too.

Please tell me you're not being serious?!
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
It's hardly starving yourself if you stick to an 8 hour window. If you absolutely can't do so, it just shows you have an utter lack of self control.

No, if you can't/don't fix your diet then you have an utter lack of self control
Reply 89

Good on you for being able to admit when you were wrong. You've already shown yourself to be against people spreading baseless misinformation in he fitness forum - at least now you're seeing how easy it is to be drawn into that trap

Yes, I do see that and as I said I am thankful for people to be pointing that out the fact that I didn't make it clear. The person who I responded to was adamant without giving any justifications whatsoever, never mind dispute any of the links that had the studies referenced. So clearly, although I am being compared with the people who do spread lies, I know I didn't have any proof and had no intention of implying that I did, unlike those who I was referring to.

You were/are being fasicious. I cannot give you a reference for a philosophical point because there isn't an experiment or study that will prove it. If you wish to debate the burden of proof, make a new thread and I'll be happy to do so, however it has no place and is off-topic in here. When somebody asks for evidence regarding an observational fact it should be very easy to supply. Something, like, say, sat oils at high temperatures are bad for you.

That's rich given that you have been taunting throughout.
Simply put yet again for your exuberant understanding, I said I don't have any proof and I clarified that I was not claiming absolute facts but rather just something I suggest the reader looks into before believing the contested statements.

So my response to you badgering on about it, which you took as facetious, was saying that you can't you can't use the burden of proof theory where it doesn't apply, just like asking for a reference for the burden of proof itself. So I was entirely being serious and felt that was the best way of explaining my point, but you didn't understand. :smile:

The reason I was responding, and still am, is because I felt although it had become off topic, people reading this would now know how to take and respond in future posts threads. i.e. don't take all advice as certain, don't take countering advice as someone who likely knows their stuff, try not to make it sound as if you are claiming something you well and truly know for certain, admit when you made a mistake, and don't keep explaining why someone should provide a reference.

(Basic principles: at what level are free radicals and oxidative species harmful to human ingestion, then at what point these levels are reached in saturated oils, as well as if ingestion of oil at this point is common and finally demonstration that these harmful levels are not present in other oils. Then you can use logic to link these statements together and prove your original point. You can't use "logic" as an excuse to avoid this)

See explanation for my use of logic later

Showing him sat fats aren't bad is good, and easily backed up with evidence. I just don't understand why you felt it relevant to make a poor case for the opposite, using this temperature rubbish. Can you not see how you are now guilty of exactly the same thing as the anti-sat fat brigade - using faulty evidence-less logic to "prove" something which has a tangible affect of altering dietary habits unnecessarily?

Scientific debates are not philosophical. The only philosophy involved in science is the discussions around the truths, which this obviously is not. You don't seem to be grasping this so it's the last time I'll say it. In a scientific discussion, I don't bring up points without having a evidence basis for saying it - have you never written a scientific essay above GCSE? I wasn't using its pre-establishment as proof it is definitive either (I described it as a concept or theory - not fact - for a reason), only that your lack of understanding of the debate around it and calling it pathetic as a sign you are not well versed in it and therefore not well versed in debate.

It is not debunking previous evidence because there never was any strong scientific evidence that sat fats are bad for you. I don't stand behind scientific points without evidence for this very reason.

Logic is fine if you are working with objective facts (you'd first need to prove each of the initial statements otherwise you're making a logic cake with the wrong ingredients). You're not even using logic correctly, you're using reasoning which is different. I've certainly not seen you following any of the laws of validity.

You should notice that I use both the words logic and reasoning separately and know there's a difference. I gave information why the opposite of a statement might be true. I gave the links where I got those from which would obviously explain it better than my paraphrasing. Then I clarified in my later posts that it wasn't proof, just merely the reasoning given for such, and a direction for possible further research for the reader. Then in my previous post which you are referring to I claimed it was logical to do this. How is that not using 'logic'? It is a fact that from giving the links, the reader has a direction for further possible research on the initial statement provided, even if it ends up being a dead end because that is still a direction(hypothesis).

Your subjective reasoning can be different to mine, they are subjective, but real world observations, following the scientific standard are closer to being objective. All evidence must be interpreted in relation to its stength but one unqualified man's evidence-less opinion on an Internet forum is obviously weak evidence.

As I said myself two posts back, it is not evidence.

Great, so you've gone from being against people spreading misinformation to new trainees to saying it's absolutely fine as long as you're not arrogant.

Yes of course, morally that's the whole point of the forum but it's totally if you say that 'starvation mode' is definitely bad for you without having any evidence of it. I actually think stubborn was the word I was actually looking for, but yes if you're being arrogant too.

Oh I see, you got annoyed that somebody pointed out you were posting contradictions and fallacies. I get people don't like to be told when they are wrong, but tough.

Not really, I was glad it was spotted. The arrogance you show in those two sentences is what I'm talking about...

I'm not moving the discussion forward because it's pointless having a discussion with you. The problems I have with your argument are laid clear in my last shorter post which you've made no attempt to tackle (they question your initial claims, which if you cannot prove then your reasoning using these claims is faulty - This is how logic works ). It's going to consist of you making claims which on the surface sound like they might or may not be correct but refusing to provide evidence for it.

Nope, my reasoning was logical, in that you could use those links as hypotheses.

Sigh. Look kid, just because you don't reference things, or don't use points grounded in evidence doesn't mean it's new or I'm making stuff up. This is my last response to you because you're clearly not at the stage to have a proper discussion about anything scientific. I've already shown how your original point was wrong and your evidence is poor - now it's just descending into an explanation of how science, reasoning and logic works which I'm not interested in.

I know it doesn't, but by your own explanation it means the reader doesn't have the proof in front of them and so can't take your word for being true within the debate.

Okay sir, what has happened in the previous 6 posts between us is that, you said I didn't have the proof and I need it to be taken seriously. Then, I said I don't have proof and never intended for it come across as a fact, just another possible line of enquiry of why it might even be the opposite to original point made. Then you told me I admitted I was wrong. Then I told you that I know I did and that I even edited my post. Now you've said twice again in this post how I was wrong and my evidence was poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by abc101
Please tell me you're not being serious?!

Haha, yes this is what I mean.

Original post by Shueb95

Original post by langlitz

Original post by -TheSpecialOne-

As far as I recall, intermittent fasting has various meaning so it might be worth clarifying when you use it.
Just to add about the eight hour thing, just in case you read the above message and think you don't have self-control, don't get depressed about it; I would guess most people are like this. Moreover, that is probably your biggest hurdle in losing weight, so having an IF goal might even help you, but work towards it if you struggle.
(edited 8 years ago)
You need to take the foods which contain less calorie. Take some liquid food items like fruit or vegetable juice. With your diet you may take some supplements to lose your weight.

Quick Reply

Latest